Timeshare Companies

Westin Kaanapali

Mar 11, 2011

My wife and I are kicking around the idea of buying a re-sell timeshare @ the Westin Kaanapali Maui. My in laws own there and we just returned and think it is a great resort. Having never bought a TS and receiving unsound advice ( in my opinion ) from the same in-laws such as only buy from tShe developer, I have a lot of questions. I have been reading redweek and Tug for a couple of years and have learned a great amount. What a valuable resource. So, just a few questions: Staroptions: due you have to pay to exchange into another westin resort and are you only eligible to stay @ westin TS properties? Due you have to belong to II and if so, is there an annual fee when buying resale?

Right of first refusal: I see a lot of seemingly good deals here on redweek and my resort networks compared to what the developer wants? Does the developer exercise this option a lot?

Lockoffs: We are interested in a 2bd lockoff eoy. Could we deposit the studio for points or for use the following year to make annual trips possible, or do you have to use it the same year?

Also, do people that buy resale get treated the same as any other owner or do you have a black mark against you? I know, maybe a dumb question but I had to ask.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Elvis T.
Mar 22, 2011

Westin Ka'anapali is a mandatory resort, meaning that owners are enrolled in the Starwood Vacation Network (SVN) and will receive StarOptions, which is SVN's currency, which can be used to exchange to other Starwood locations once the exchange window opens up at 8 months out. Mostly there are Sheraton and Westin timeshares in the network, with a few notable exceptions, such as Harborside Resort at Atlantis. For a complete listing, go to StarwoodVacationOwnership.com.

II membership is included with your SVN membership, which costs about $150/year.

There is no fee to book within SVN, however there is a fee to cancel SVN exchanges. There is the usual exchange fee if you deposit your unit into II. You can use II to deposit your studio and then make it an annual trip.

ROFR is being exercised more lately, but it's hit or miss. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the cheapest unit I could find. If I bought Island view, I'd only buy at the north property because the south has parking lot/highway views. Get the best view you can afford, because MFs are the same no matter what view you get.

I bought resale and they treat me the same as they treat everyone else.

Good luck in your decision.

Lisa R.
Apr 17, 2011

This is a great property and you can use this at other resorts in their collection or swap out for hotel points. We own a 2 bedroom even years only-oceanfront and have had great experiences at the resort. Wonderful area and beach. Always treated well. We are not sure if we will keep the property much longer because we have found it a bit challenging to travel from the east coast with two children. If you buy it sounds like resell is a good way to go......good luck with the decision.

Daniel H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.