Ask RedWeek

May Newsletter Q&A: Second Market Timeshare Owners 'Caught' By RCI

Jun 13, 2012

I think Float is so much better. Who wants to be locked into the same week year after year... I never had a problem getting the time frame I wanted as long as I put in the request with enough time...

Patricia S.
Jun 14, 2012

patricias458 wrote:
I think Float is so much better. Who wants to be locked into the same week year after year... I never had a problem getting the time frame I wanted as long as I put in the request with enough time...

Well that's good that it works for you. However, many people's circumstances do not allow them to plan that far in advance. Then when they do have the green light to book their week, all the good weeks seem to be gone.

So float is good for some, fixed is better for others. Everyone just needs to evaluate his circumstances and travel preferences and then decide whether float or fixed is right for him.

Lance C.
Aug 15, 2012

Just read this forum and all I have to say is there is a lot of crap going on here. This whole timeshare biz is shady. You would think the time share bizness would want to clean itself up but what I read is excuses of what happening I have dealt with a few crooks in the resale end and lost MONEY. When I bought it was for a week. Got a call from my home resort and they thought if they could rip me off for a few more thousand they could show me how much better it would be. Here's wishing I never got involved in the first place. !0 percent increases in the maintain's fee. Special increases of 2000 buck for What ever. CROOKS are running this whole game

Sharon M.
Aug 15, 2012

my, my...........sounds just like a timeshare i was stupid enough to buy............THE INFAMOUS MANHATTAN CLUB!

Chris V.
Aug 16, 2012

Lisa-The ARDA does nothing to help timeshare victims. The directors are the CEO's of all the major TS companies. You are telling people to get help from the people who ripped them off in the first place. The ARDA should help the victims,especially since they pay about 99% of all contributions to the ARDA via the "Voluntary $5.00 ARDA fee" on maintenance fee bills. If you disagree please show me one thing ARDA has done to help victims of TS companies, not re-sellers but the actual developer.

James B.
Aug 16, 2012

tsauthor wrote:
Indeed, you should speak up. Call, write, e-mail and use social media. The resort, the general manager, the exchange company, ARDA and most importantly other timeshare owners!
Lisa-The ARDA does nothing to help timeshare victims. The directors are the CEO's of all the major TS companies. You are telling people to get help from the people who ripped them off in the first place. The ARDA should help the victims,especially since they pay about 99% of all contributions to the ARDA via the "Voluntary $5.00 ARDA fee" on maintenance fee bills. If you disagree please show me one thing ARDA has done to help victims of TS companies, not re-sellers but the actual developer.

James B.
Aug 17, 2012

jamesb1029 wrote:
tsauthor wrote:
Indeed, you should speak up. Call, write, e-mail and use social media. The resort, the general manager, the exchange company, ARDA and most importantly other timeshare owners!

James, you are correct that ARDA is called American Resort Developer Association .... they are advocates for developers, not timeshare owners .... I never considered giving ARDA contributions = the voluntary fee on maintenance dues.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Aug 17, 2012 09:16 AM

Aug 17, 2012

They are not an advocate group at all, they are a PAC. This womans advice is disturbing, she is advising people to get help from the people who them off in the first place. ABSURD!

James B.
Oct 12, 2012

Steve! You just don't get it! What you buy is a week to use if you "pay the bill" (Maint fees) as you say. That is part of the contract that you agree to when you buy. All these other things are perks that the developer does not sell. They are NOT on the sales contract! They give you the ability to trade for hotel points, etc, etc... as add on bonuses.

You keep the week you bought no matter what. The contract you sign most often clearly states that you are buying unit#xxx, interval week xxxx (1/52) at xxxx resort. You can sell that week at any time for the going market rate. That rate is determined by the market NOT the developer.

It is the added on perks that the developer gave to you as a retail buyer that do not transfer when you sell. Usually the add on contracts clearly state none of them transfer pretty clearly. If you do not like it do not buy! I have a feeling, an assumption on my part, is your arguments are based on your situation. You have stated you have 10 timeshares. You want or will want to sell them at some point and you are bitter that you can not offer all the perks the developer offered you originally, to your resale buyer. Thus you can not get the inflated developer price.

I have heard it said this way... purchase of a timeshare is an investment - an investment in lifestyle, family, quality time, etc.etc. Anyone who buys a timeshare for a FINANCIAL INVESTMENT is a fool. Much like a vehicle, the depreciation when you walk out of the showroom is astronomical and continues from there.

Ron D.

Last edited by rond186 on Oct 12, 2012 07:15 AM

Oct 12, 2012

ARDA is in fact a developer association. However, they are not in the business of ripping consumers off. Have you brought this issue to the attention of the National Timeshare Owners Association or another owners' group?

Lisa Ann S.
Feb 12, 2013

As a former timeshare salesperson and a timeshare owner, I can tell you that when you are in a timeshare presentation the sole purpose of that presentation is to get you to buy something. You walked in as an owner, so the salesperson had to invent a "problem" with you ownership that would require you to purchase something to "fix" it. By saying your properties' would be "caught" by RCI he planted the seed of doubt and now you are afraid to call RCI to verify what he said for fear it will alert them to the problem. Do not believe a sales rep! They are schooled in ways to make you buy. Simply contact RCI and ask to verify your properties' points and never, never go to another "owner presentation". They are ALL Sales Presentations! You will talk to a sales rep every time not a resort rep. BTW, I congratulate you for buying on the secondary market.

Theresa S.
Feb 12, 2013

Can you believe this thread has been going on for 22 months?

I am not convinced yet. Anyone else convinced?

Steve W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.