Point Systems

RCI points resorts vs weeks resorts?

Jun 04, 2011

We own a fixed week at Orange Lake (Orlando) I am very happy with it. I get most exchanges I want. I use alot of last calls also. I am considering getting a triennial Vacation Village at Parkway to get into RCI points. Are there alot more points resorts that I am not able to exchange into since I am weeks. If not I do not need points as I never travel less than a week anyway and have good luck getting last calls. I will not be able to deposit my Orange Lake week as points as Orange Lake Prohibits it unless grandfathered in which is not the case. Thanks

Marcia S.
Jun 10, 2011

Or you can purchase another unit at O/L with points. Tony

Tony L.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jun 10, 2011 11:15 PM

Jan 19, 2013

I am slightly confused. I have owned at Orange Lake since 1996. Recently we went back and I was told I need to purchase a conversion into points for $24,000 as I declined the less expensive conversion in 2009 of $5000, of which I didn't. I was told my week has less value without the points and weeks will eventually go away completely. How can I be forced to buy into points when i already own a week. they changed the system, why do i have to pay for it.

Kim C.
Jan 19, 2013

We bought a returned unit.57000 points $5k. 1 bedroom sleeps 4 in west village, that was every even year. 2012 went back and picked up the other 1/2, had enough points this year for a 1 bedroom in River Isle. These units sell for 15k plus. Trading is cheaper. Our home resort is weeks, also a RCI Gold Crown place. Sometimes extra escapes work better.

Tony L.
Jan 19, 2013

If you have a deeded week. A specific week number and a unit number then you are entitled to use that week every year at that resort without converting to points. You can also bank that specific week and unit with an exchange company. They are lying to you telling you that it will be of no value unless you convert to points. In my opinion points are just air. They only bebefit the developer. They can sell more points then there are units to book. Just remember the basic rule: when I timeshare salesman's lips are moving he is lying. Don't be pressured into spending more money. Stand up for your rights.

Don P.
Jan 20, 2013

kimc569 wrote:
I am slightly confused. I have owned at Orange Lake since 1996. Recently we went back and I was told I need to purchase a conversion into points for $24,000 as I declined the less expensive conversion in 2009 of $5000, of which I didn't. I was told my week has less value without the points and weeks will eventually go away completely. How can I be forced to buy into points when i already own a week. they changed the system, why do i have to pay for it.

Ah, the outright lies timeshare salespeople will tell .... weeks will never, ever go away .... you have a deed to prove it and many more people own deeded weeks than points since points are relatively new and the value of your timeshare will not diminish.

Kudos to you for not caving in to their demands. Also, you really need to report that salesperson to higher ups at Holiday Inn Vacation Club for outright lying to you. THIS is one of the main reasons timesharing has such a bad reputation.

R P.
Jan 31, 2014

Is anyone paying maintain fees and taxes on points?

Donnie B.
Jan 31, 2014

donnieb14 wrote:
Is anyone paying maintain fees and taxes on points?

Yes. Owners pay fees and taxes on points just like they would on weeks. The trick is, if you're looking to buy, to find a points package with a low maintenance fees to points ratio. Different resorts have different values.

Lance C.
Feb 11, 2014

For Europe like Italy no the points system sucks. But if you do all and most of your vacation here or the Caribbean I guess its ok, I am a week owner. Joe

Joseph F.
Jul 14, 2019

If you have a week at Orange Lake and is not in the RCI Points system, all you have to do is convert your existing week to RCI POINTS! Granted, your sales agent will strongly encourage you to buy another week and grandfather you in for zero dollars on the conversion only!(You still have to pay the corresponding price for the newly acquired week and its subsequent yearly maintenance). Typically, once you resist the new timeshare week purchase, you will be allowed to convert for an average of $5,000. Buying a triennial at the other Company, shall only saddle you with another maintenance!

Alfonso M.
Feb 09, 2020

You took the words right out of my mouth

G P.
May 19, 2021

Which is better, points or weeks? Can resorts raise their points on timeshare over the years? I am thing about getting a Hilton timeshare but I am needing to make sure the resort properties that shows their points under HGVC points systems doesn't change. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thanks

Cassandra F.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.