The Manhattan Club

Manhattan Club Lawsuit

May 10, 2017

Hi! I see others have asked but still no reply. Can you please explain in detail how you "reverse sold" your timeshare? I would appreciate you sharing that information.

Lena P.
May 10, 2017

Thank you

Kevin O.

Last edited by kevin631 on Dec 18, 2018 05:42 AM

May 15, 2017

Wow. So happy I found this site. I've been complaining about our Manhattan Club timeshare for years now. Never can get a room and the increase in maintenance fees. Used to be approx. $700 a year!!! Where can I find more information on this lawsuit or what I can do? Thanks so much.

Anita B.
May 15, 2017

Your best bet is to navigate this site to get a full discussion & status & history if the New York State Attorney General's legal actions against Manhattan Club (the only active law suit)

Dennis C.
May 16, 2017

And just to be clear, it's still an investigation, not a lawsuit, as far as I know.

Might be helpful to change the thread title, if possible.

Thomas M.

Last edited by thomasm832 on May 16, 2017 11:01 AM

May 16, 2017

I am tired of hearing it is not a lawsuit but an Investigation. Who is in whose pocket? I have owned at TMC since 2001 and am tired of the ever escalating Maintenance Fees. Can we all get together and force TMC to at least allow us to sell our Timeshares. Such pressure must be illegal but who is paying attention? Something must be done - but what???? The Law is supposed to punish fraud. What is wrong with the NYAG? Could he be voted out of office as a result of not protecting consumers who have made purchases in his state????? Could the AG be sued? He certainly went after Trump! Let's hold his feet to the fire.

Marion A.
May 16, 2017

thomasm832 wrote:
And just to be clear, it's still an investigation, not a lawsuit, as far as I know.

Might be helpful to change the thread title, if possible.

It is an investigation, NOT a lawsuit. I contacted Kylie(?) with Redweek asking if the title could be changed as it is causing confusion and is misleading/inaccurate....she said it was not possible to change the title. It has something to do with the way it was first titled when the forum started.

Those of you who are just finding this forum or trying to catch up...read some of Jeff Weir's information. He is a well informed journalist, who's articles can be found on Redweek and has been following this situation since the beginning.

Dks
May 16, 2017

Just an investigation and not a lawsuit? There are legal proceedings going on with a judge and attorneys. Maybe it wouldn't be considered a lawsuit but it's far from only an investigation.

Theresa R.

Last edited by theresar147 on May 16, 2017 01:18 PM

May 17, 2017

theresar147 wrote:
Just an investigation and not a lawsuit? There are legal proceedings going on with a judge and attorneys. Maybe it wouldn't be considered a lawsuit but it's far from only an investigation.

read this link: https://www.redweek.com/resources/ask-redweek/paying-timeshare-maintenance-fees...

Dks
May 17, 2017

I am also looking to join the wagon train here. Can someone kindly direct me on this.

Catherine F.
May 18, 2017

catherinef142 wrote:
I am also looking to join the wagon train here. Can someone kindly direct me on this.

Frustrated over our inability to ever get a room at our timeshare, I started googling a couple of years ago to see if there were other owners as frustrated as I was. I really got an education when I found this RedWeek.com site, and reviewed all the pages of postings on their “Manhattan Club Lawsuit” link. There are literally thousands of owners who feel as cheated as I do, who have posted complaints. I've been following the RedWeek site since then, and the majority of owners have the same complaint; for years, despite paying our fees, we have been routinely cheated out of the use of our timeshare while the Eichner family and a small circle of TMC insiders have enriched themselves at our expense. The icing on the cake for me and my wife, and what finally convinced us to stop paying TMC, was when we read the NY Attorney General's July, 2015 court filing, which itemizes a remarkable list of allegations of civil and criminal conduct on the part of The Manhattan Club. This includes the charge that for years, Eichner has been personally skimming 6 million dollars a year from TMC through a shell management company that had no employees and provided no services what so ever to the operation of the timeshare property. In reading through the filing, I got sick as I learned how badly we have been cheated and how unscrupulous and devious the principals at TMC were as they perpetrated their fraud against us; in our case, for over 10 years. They denied us the rooms we were entitled to while renting those same rooms to the general public via the Internet. The enormity of the fraud and the magnitude of the numbers is staggering... at least 14,000 owners, 250 rooms, 52 weeks a year ( in some cases which have been documented by the AG, they actually sold more than 52 weeks a year per unit!) at $2500-$4000 annual maintenance payments each. If you haven't already read this court filing, it is a MUST read for any Manhattan Club owner. Here is the link to that 2015 AG court filing: You may have to paste it into your browser. You’ll be astounded at the mountain of evidence the AG has collected during his investigation of TMC. Reading it convinced us we had been defrauded, our contract broken, and would no longer honor it ourselves.

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fbem/DocumentDisplayServlet?documentId=arMAhc2Z8epneiTXUbb_PLUS_yQ==&system=prod

By simply withholding the last two years' maintenance payments for 2 units, and mortgage payment for one, I'm more than $10,000 ahead. Knowing what we now know, I'm amazed that anyone would voluntarily continue to send these crooks money. I encourage all owners to revoke your credit card authorization, stop sending checks or close your account. We MUST stop funding the very people who are screwing us.

Bob Biello

Robert B.
May 18, 2017

I agree completely with this summary and we have done the same (2 penthouse weeks)

Gerald C.
May 18, 2017

It is okay to sell your Manhattan Club timeshare . . . if you could find a buyer.

mariona17 wrote:
I am tired of hearing it is not a lawsuit but an Investigation. Who is in whose pocket? I have owned at TMC since 2001 and am tired of the ever escalating Maintenance Fees. Can we all get together and force TMC to at least allow us to sell our Timeshares. Such pressure must be illegal but who is paying attention? Something must be done - but what???? The Law is supposed to punish fraud. What is wrong with the NYAG? Could he be voted out of office as a result of not protecting consumers who have made purchases in his state????? Could the AG be sued? He certainly went after Trump! Let's hold his feet to the fire.

Kathleem F.
May 19, 2017

kathleenf77 wrote:
It is okay to sell your Manhattan Club timeshare . . . if you could find a buyer.

mariona17 wrote:

The AG has forbidden TMC to participate in any kind of sales, including buying back your timeshare...at the moment its not an option.

Dks
May 19, 2017

I own two condo shares and have for four years a never have been able to stay in one of them, even with a year in advance notice!! But yet they keep charging me there raising maintence fees. I got sick and tired of it and hired a good New York Attorney. She told me as of last year they put a freeze on they collecting fees. And I won't loose anything if I stop paying them. So I canceled their auto pay. But now they are starting to bill me again? I'm gonna call my attorney today to let her know. Those guys are not getting another dime from me. Oh if you go on Expedia you can can rent a room I found out! Not me!!!

Debra A.
May 19, 2017

A freeze on collecting fees??? That's the first time I've heard anything about that. Some of us have continued to pay the fees and use the Manhattan Club. I'd love to know if this information is correct. It would be a lot cheaper to rent a hotel room as needed instead of paying those escalating fees.

debraa233 wrote:
I own two condo shares and have for four years a never have been able to stay in one of them, even with a year in advance notice!! But yet they keep charging me there raising maintence fees. I got sick and tired of it and hired a good New York Attorney. She told me as of last year they put a freeze on they collecting fees. And I won't loose anything if I stop paying them. So I canceled their auto pay. But now they are starting to bill me again? I'm gonna call my attorney today to let her know. Those guys are not getting another dime from me. Oh if you go on Expedia you can can rent a room I found out! Not me!!!

Enid D.
May 19, 2017

Kathleen -

It is our understanding that owners can still sell their weeks/ownership, but the Manhattan Club is not permitted to actively sell during the Attorney General's investigation.

Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
May 19, 2017

who would be unknowing (read: stupid) enough to buy into TMC given the current legal issues encompassing this entity?

phyl21 wrote:
Kathleen -

It is our understanding that owners can still sell their weeks/ownership, but the Manhattan Club is not permitted to actively sell during the Attorney General's investigation.

Phyllis

Chris V.
May 20, 2017

hello all defrauded MANHATTAN CLUB OWNERS:

fyi, i found another forum site: http://tugbbs.com, to use to post our common and personal TMC grievances on. we need another platform to air our concerns, so in addition to this helpul redweek.com forum we can use this site.

let me know what you think.

chris

Chris V.
May 20, 2017

Chris; I guess its OK to air grievances over on TUG, but to what end? TMC can't sell anything, so you'd not be warning potential buyers. And there's nobody at this point that can actually HELP us TMC involved folks. Several lawyers have tried the class action gambit, to no avail. If Schneiderman and the full force of the NY State Attorney General, a bevy of lawyers, and the investigatory team can't help, there is none for us. But if the outlet makes people feel better, have at it.

Dennis C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.