The Manhattan Club

Manhattan Club Lawsuit

May 29, 2019

Debra, on a laptop, go to Redweek.com and search for resorts. On a phone, enter Manhattan Club in the RedWeek.com search field for "where do you want to go?" Then scroll down to Discuss this Resort. Choose "New Ownership." Either way, just find the Manhattan Club listing ON REDWEEK, and go to the forums from there. It's pretty straightforward. Good luck!

Nathan Z.
May 29, 2019

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/bluegreen.html

copy/paste in your browser's address bar.

once there, continue to scroll, then click on "next". keep scrolling; reviews ripen with age.

.......and that's bluegreen so far.

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on May 29, 2019 04:32 PM

May 29, 2019

Got it! Thanks

Debra L.
May 29, 2019

Is anyone who hasn't been paying the fees lately thinking of changing in light of this? Not sure what to advise my Mom to do now. She doesn't use it and just wants out.

williamm465 wrote:
N EWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just called TMC to pay my rapidly increasing maintenance fee and taxes. While I had the Financial Services rep on the phone, I asked why TMC is not foreclosing on those who are not paying their maintenance fees. She told me that the AG would not permit them to do so. However, she also said that ban has recently been lifted and they are beginning foreclosure proceedings. She also said the non payers will now be reported to the credit reporting agencies.

I have a split week--7 days every two years. I pay my maintenance every two years and taxes every year. My maintenance and taxes in 2017 was $2772. My maintenance and taxes for 2019 is $3023. That is an increase of 9% over two years. I agree, that is a lot. I wonder how much lower that would be if everyone paid up.

Those of you who are involved with Zimmerman should ask him about not paying. If I remember correctly, many pages ago he posted that non payment is not a good idea.

Thomas M.

Last edited by thomasm832 on May 29, 2019 09:08 AM

May 29, 2019

Just wanted to share this bit of info. Several weeks ago my nephew's wife learned she had to fly to NYC on business with her job and she was unable to book at the hotel where she normally stays. So - she went on Priceline and put in a search for a room under $200 and she was directed to the Manhattan Club. She hasn't shared all the details with me but she ended up staying there in an efficiency type room on I think the 2nd floor. Anyway, she said there was a horrible odor in the room and it stayed that way the entire 3 nights she was there. So - were there rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors sold as timeshares? And if so, would the rent she paid go into the Timeshare HOA account?

Gail J.
May 29, 2019

Hi Debra-- I don't know for sure the answers to your questions but I'm going to try to use some logic. If Eichner was skimming, and I'm pretty sure he was., I think it s reasonable to assume he is no longer doing that. Perhaps the hefty increases in the past were do to some crooked dealing. The current increases I calculate to be about 4.5% per year have to be impacted by the non payers. Union contracts and maintenance costs are expensive in New York City.

I would rather see the rooms occupied rather than sit empty. I assume the money is not going into someone's pocket, but into TMC's account. I really don't know, but I would think the AG would have stopped that practice.

Here is a thought I have never mentioned before. I have seven days over a two year period. I can use them one day at a time, two days at a time, or three days at a time. In odd years I can use all four of my days at once, or split them up. If someone tries to use a complete week, and tries to book with little notice, there is a good chance a complete week will not be available. All of the 1,2, and 3 day stays may leave no full weeks available. I use 2-two day stays in odd years, and 1-three day stays in even years. When I use my full complement of days, I can book 12 months out. When I use part of my days, I can book eight months out. I am fortunate that I can book far in advance. I know many people can't book that far in advance. When my kids use my time, they don't have the flexibility I have. So they book far in advance, and if they run into a scheduling problem, I use the days.

It is a shame some people are being hurt. The great unknown is Bluegreen. I think it would be worth while to see how they impact the situation.

debral251 wrote:
I have a question for you, William. What do you think the reason was for the fees rising so much and so fast BEFORE many owners stopped paying? I'm asking sincerely...because I really want to know. Maybe I'm missing something. You keep blaming it on the non-paying owners but what was the reason for it THEN? (I'm sure the 6.5 million a year Eichner was skimming.. at the very least ..contributed to it) As I said in my previous post, I ..like many other owners ...stopped paying BECAUSE the fees were doubling, tripling, quadrupling ... and all the while paying, not being able to use our time there as owners.. and then seeing our rooms, our time being available to the general public. Your thoughts, please...

William M.
May 29, 2019

louisea75 wrote:
This was posted on FB----Local law 11 requires that all bldgs in NYC over 6 stories must check each and every brick. And the netting must go up in order to protect the pedestrians and owners.

I was just at TMC in early May. We were told it is a law that buildings must keep up the maintenance of the facade of the building. Many do not, and pay off inspectors etc. Recently a Nanny and child were injured and or killed by falling bricks, so they are being very strict with the regulation now. That is why TMC is swathed in scaffolding and netting. We had a couple of excruciatingly cold nights. Slept in our robes with 4 blankets. Apparently, according to Mara the concierge, there is a law in NY that once the temps hit 50 the heat must be turned off and can only be turned back on if it goes below 40. I haven't researched this, but as I said that is what the concierge stated. We were on the 30th floor and it felt below 40.

Dks
May 29, 2019

@ William who wrote "While I had the Financial Services rep on the phone, I asked why TMC is not foreclosing on those who are not paying their maintenance fees. She told me that the AG would not permit them to do so. However, she also said that ban has recently been lifted and they are beginning foreclosure proceedings. She also said the non payers will now be reported to the credit reporting agencies."

In 2015 a class action settlement has been reached with BG, Experian, and Equifax over allegations that timeshare owners’ delinquent accounts were reported as foreclosures in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. BG sent a series of letters to the delinquent owners advising them that they were terminated from the BG and the status of their accounts have been or may be reported as foreclosures to the credit agencies.

The Finn Law Group was the principal law firm that represented the class. Michael D. Finn said, "I'm absolutely delighted with the resolution, which deletes the harmful 'foreclosure' categorization from over 11,000 individuals’ credit reports!"

Fibo N.
May 30, 2019

Hello Fibo,

I don't understand the meaning of your posting with regards to MC owners not paying their fees. As you quoted, the class action settlement said that BG may not report merely delinquent accounts as foreclosures. However, it does not say that delinquent accounts may not be reported as past due, or that delinquent accounts may not eventually move forward into foreclosure proceedings. The emphasis seems to be on the accuracy of the reporting to the credit bureau. Do you understand this differently?

Nathan Z.

Last edited by nathanz2 on May 30, 2019 11:53 AM

May 30, 2019

I was just at the Manhattan Club for 3 nights had a wonderful time in the Big apple .so happy with the service provided by staff I am so happy with my investment and my European guests were impressed with the accommodation and location of the club.Temp was perfect in the suite no smells or need for extra blankets

Christopher F.
May 30, 2019

you are so fortunate to be as solely and uniquely blessed as you are.

it is hoped that many other TMC owners will eventually, and over time, share your good fortune at TMC, albeit a pipe dream for them at the moment.

christopherf82 wrote:
I was just at the Manhattan Club for 3 nights had a wonderful time in the Big apple .so happy with the service provided by staff I am so happy with my investment and my European guests were impressed with the accommodation and location of the club.Temp was perfect in the suite no smells or need for extra blankets

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Jun 01, 2019 11:47 AM

Jun 01, 2019

I was doing a research on Bluegreen to estimate what to expect from the "new ownership". Unfortunately "new ownership" is not looking good. According to the BG owners' feedback they experience the identical fraud as the TMC owners.

1. Maintenance fees vs inability to book. "I too am frustrated with rising maintenance fees, inability to book when I need to, the pressure to upgrade when I finally do get to go on vacation. I want in on the class action!!!" Posted by Jennifer Pierce on January 31, 2019

2. Oversold. "Agree they are oversold and continue to make this a much worse issue. We are not OWNERS. BG should be forced to stop selling until they acquire sufficient locations" Posted by Jennifer Pierce on January 31, 2019

3. Scam. "They are nothing but scam artist and liars. We were pressured into our timeshare purchase a year ago and it didn't help that we just recently had a death in the family(we were vulnerable.) The maintenance fees have doubled from $800.00 to $1300.00 annually already. We have paid off the timeshare but haven't used any of it. We would like to get out before we lose anymore of our retirement funds." Posted by Nancy Robertson on June 25, 2018

4. Fraud info while purchasing and Law suits. "A consumer fraud class action lawsuit has been filed against Bluegreen Vacations Unlimited Inc, by two women in California who allege they sustained financial damages due to misleading information the defendant provided them on purchasing a time-share."

Read more : https://www.bigclassaction.com/lawsuit/bluegreen-vacations-faces-timeshare-consumer-fraud.php

Dear TMC owners: who wants to get from one scam and step into into another one? Personally I have no desire to deal with BG.

Fibo N.
Jun 01, 2019

hello fibo and all other TMC, and now bluegreen's, probable next victims:

the following is similar to the website you posted, and bears owners' additional consideration:

once at the site, keep scrolling and click "next" to see the over 500 negative comments against bluegreen noted on the consumer affairs website.

fibon wrote:
I was doing a research on Bluegreen to estimate what to expect from the "new ownership". Unfortunately "new ownership" is not looking good. According to the BG owners' feedback they experience the identical fraud as the TMC owners.

1. Maintenance fees vs inability to book. "I too am frustrated with rising maintenance fees, inability to book when I need to, the pressure to upgrade when I finally do get to go on vacation. I want in on the class action!!!" Posted by Jennifer Pierce on January 31, 2019

2. Oversold. "Agree they are oversold and continue to make this a much worse issue. We are not OWNERS. BG should be forced to stop selling until they acquire sufficient locations" Posted by Jennifer Pierce on January 31, 2019

3. Scam. "They are nothing but scam artist and liars. We were pressured into our timeshare purchase a year ago and it didn't help that we just recently had a death in the family(we were vulnerable.) The maintenance fees have doubled from $800.00 to $1300.00 annually already. We have paid off the timeshare but haven't used any of it. We would like to get out before we lose anymore of our retirement funds." Posted by Nancy Robertson on June 25, 2018

4. Fraud info while purchasing and Law suits. "A consumer fraud class action lawsuit has been filed against Bluegreen Vacations Unlimited Inc, by two women in California who allege they sustained financial damages due to misleading information the defendant provided them on purchasing a time-share."

Read more : https://www.bigclassaction.com/lawsuit/bluegreen-vacations-faces-timeshare-consumer-fraud.php

Dear TMC owners: who wants to get from one scam and step into into another one? Personally I have no desire to deal with BG.

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Jun 01, 2019 08:05 PM

Jun 02, 2019

hello fibo:

i agree with your following quote without hesitation:

"Dear TMC owners: who wants to get from one scam and step into into another one? Personally I have no desire to deal with BG."

perhaps you can offer all of us TMC owners constructive and creative alternatives. i have run out of ideas for ways of erasing BG from their continuing fraudulent hold on us owners. it's possible that we can build on your and others' alternate means of escaping bluegreen's unrelenting clutches.

chrisv126 wrote:
hello fibo and all other TMC, and now bluegreen's, probable next victims:

the following is similar to the website you posted, and bears owners' additional consideration:

once at the site, keep scrolling and click "next" to see the over 500 negative comments against bluegreen noted on the consumer affairs website.

fibon wrote:

Chris V.
Jun 02, 2019

Hello Fibo,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

I don't believe the class action you cite has any relevance to MC owners except for what it reveals about the pre-settlement business practices of BG. And the other sources here - "bigclassaction.com" and "consumer affairs.com" - are businesses profiting from ad sales. Both of them have disclaimers saying that anything posted is the opinion of the poster, has not been verified by any attorney, should not be relied upon and is not supported by the website or its owners in any way. They will publish any complaint which builds their readership. They should not be confused with any government agency or Better Business Bureau.

Nathan Z.

Last edited by nathanz2 on Jun 03, 2019 04:17 AM

Jun 03, 2019

hello fibo,

your research and posting concerning reviews of others' relationships with bluegreen are worthy of note in this forum. we are in accordance about the importance of posting these mostly unfavorable reviews...or the sites on which to find them ... (as i did as well.) redweek responders have the intelligence and insight to realize that these sites are not government-sponsored, but as presented, represent verifiable opinions about bluegreen, which is TMC's current governing body. bluegreen calls the shots, not us and certainly not in our favor. exposing bluegreen as a foe from your and my sources is a helpful and viable contribution to this forum. this is what redweek.com is all about. it most certainly is not about criticizing one another's helpful opinions as has been noted here via past responses. constructive criticism is welcomed and respected. however, there is no room here to make more foes. we have one common detractor who should be the center of our cry for justice.

directly pointing out the views of others who have dealt with bluegreen is indeed essential to posting here so that many other TMC owners who might not have seen these reviews can be made directly aware of where we stand with bluegreen.

these reviews also have the potential of being used as further evidence for attorneys to review and possibly use as background to solidify and strengthen their cases.

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Jun 03, 2019 07:36 PM

Jun 03, 2019

Chris V--. It seems as if you think you have a choice concerning whether or not you will deal with BG. If they purchase, or contract to manage TMC, what choice do you have?

William M.
Jun 04, 2019

Here is my "verifiable opinion." You can verify it - it's an opinion.

The vast majority of MC owners do not post on RedWeek. Only Redweek knows for certain how many visitors there are, but I feel safe in saying that most of the 15,000+ owners have never visited. I'm also comfortable in saying no one is happy with the rate of increase for Maintenance Fees but what do you expect? I see 4-5% a year as average. But the real complaint is the evaporation of market value for people who paid "retail," which is unlikely to come back anytime soon. Most people who visit this site do so because they want out and can't get out. But if after all the years of aggravation, agitation, investigation and litigation, the NYAG settlement is all there is to show, how excited should anybody get about picking a new fight with BG before they have even taken over the management? Don't make this a personal dispute with "foes" and "detractors" and with those who disagree with you. You disagree with the AG and JMZ thinks he can do better. So let him do his best.

Nathan Z.

Last edited by nathanz2 on Jun 04, 2019 03:05 PM

Jun 04, 2019

kylie kallio, redweek.com vp, operations,

please post the number of current (from the beginning of 2019) redweek.com subscribers (contributors/responders) on THE MANHATTAN CLUB LAWSUIT and related forums. this is invaluable information for those who post here to assess the number of people that see their comments. additionally, perhaps current posters here will convince interested acquaintances to join in our constructive discourses about improving our current relationship with the manhattan club.

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Jun 04, 2019 07:11 PM

Jun 04, 2019

all redweek.com TMC owners,

to date, regarding TMC, (going back to 2014 and before) we have gone through myriad legal suggestions, ideas, and the actual processes of litigation, all in good faith. the outcomes of these actions appear to be unsatisfactory to most of us.

we have been criticized here for voicing our opinions, often leaving us with a "why-bother-to-comment-here-anymore" attitude. this is an understandably uncomfortable position for many, even prompting some well-meaning TMC owners to stop commenting altogether. please don't stop! if you're still reading these comments, your input is needed and essential, regardless of how trite it may appear to you. your comments can be seen by others who can take it and make it explode into a constructive idea.

the issues we currently have with TMC/bluegreen are indeed personal, affecting each of us directly and personally. that's an obvious given. who else but bluegreen has taken over management as of now? if you know of another group, entity or party (ies) that has been considered to manage TMC, please share this information with the rest of us TMC owners.

if you are here because you wish to be relieved of TMC ownership, there is no one here who can give you definitive and productive answers of how to do so without the possibility of being financially scarred as a consequence. it has been noted that TMC has a plan in place for those in this position. look carefully before you leap into a decision. consider having a reliable attorney review and approve any legal papers distributed by TMC. trust is not one of TMC's virtues.

we have options regarding our plight vs TMC/bluegreen. they require special consideration, then action.

.....sit back and accept the status quo

.....retain your own legal representation

.....represent yourself (as one redweek.com responder did somewhat successfully) in small claims court.

.....check former pages of THE MANHATTAN CLUB FORUM for available attorney information.

there is a true esprit de corps in this forum that we should be thankful for. sometimes it is buried in insults and denigrating someone else's ideas. that is hurtful, uncalled for and unproductive, probably brought on by anger. we are really above that. we can and will rise to the occasion, and hopefully gain some much-needed satisfaction regarding our relationship with TMC.

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Jun 05, 2019 08:00 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.