The Manhattan Club

Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Oct 20, 2016

chrisv126 wrote:
the nysag's court actiion against eichner is indeed a LAWSUIT, albeit NOT a class action lawsuit involving all of us who were duped and defrauded by eichner. the ag, mr schneiderman, is working on behalf of new york state to prove eichner's guilt of the fraud and scam he committed concerning his actions as a principal of the manhattan club timeshare. the current status of the lawsuit is that is out of the investigatory stage and is before the judge for further consideration and disposition. if schneiderman wins the case, all the better for us owners. we would have a strong case that would probably involve private attorneys who could now bring a class action suit on behalf of TMC shareowners.

deborahs528 wrote:
susanp816 wrote:
It is incorrect that there isn't a class action lawsuit involved with The Manhattan Club. I joined back in March. Granted I was not happy to have to pay $300 but he is the only lawyer at this time willing to take them on. The Law Office of Lowell J. Sidney regarding the above subject. Here is the letter I received from him after speaking to him on the phone.

We filed a lawsuit alleging that flexible time shares in The Manhattan Club were oversold. The action is venued in the New York State Supreme Court, New York County under index number 654023/2015. If you believe that you are eligible for inclusion in the class, kindly complete the attached questionnaire and retainer agreement and return to our attention with a non-refundable fee of three hundred dollars ($300).

Should you have any questions, queries or comments please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

Lowell Sidney

244 Fifth Avenue, Suite Q278

New York, NY 10001

(888) 222-0513

I did send him an e-mail after reading the letter from rachellea8 Oct, 14 questioning him why the NY Attorney General's office would say there was NO CLASS ACTION SUIT going on and this is what he responded.

"I don't know. I am able to view it. Oral arguments adjourned until January 5."

I think most of us who have been following this forum since June 2014 realize the AG's office has NOT filed a class action lawsuit...They are involved in an investigation of fraud by TMC/Eichner. An investigation is not the same as a lawsuit. There are 2 attorneys of whom I am aware who are involved in somehow helping owners. One is Lowell Sidney (who obviously has filed suit according to the email to which I am responding) and the other Doug Wasser, who I believe is helping his clients understand what is going with the AG and keeping them apprised. I believe that if the AG does find Eichner and/or TMC guilty of whatever, that gives any of us who want to sue a much better leg to stand on. Without these findings, it would be much harder to have a successful suit. I have read about other lawsuits against TMC that amounted to nothing. This forum started out being entitled TMC lawsuit and for some reason Redweek can't change this, because it is misleading.

I wrote and asked if the AG has a lawsuit against TMC/Eichner. I just heard back from Janice Santora in the NYAG's office...she says there is NO lawsuit that it continues to be an "ongoing investigation."

Dks
Oct 20, 2016

Thank you!

Rachelle A.
Oct 21, 2016

deborahs528 wrote:
chrisv126 wrote:
the nysag's court actiion against eichner is indeed a LAWSUIT, albeit NOT a class action lawsuit involving all of us who were duped and defrauded by eichner. the ag, mr schneiderman, is working on behalf of new york state to prove eichner's guilt of the fraud and scam he committed concerning his actions as a principal of the manhattan club timeshare. the current status of the lawsuit is that is out of the investigatory stage and is before the judge for further consideration and disposition. if schneiderman wins the case, all the better for us owners. we would have a strong case that would probably involve private attorneys who could now bring a class action suit on behalf of TMC shareowners.

deborahs528 wrote:
susanp816 wrote:
It is incorrect that there isn't a class action lawsuit involved with The Manhattan Club. I joined back in March. Granted I was not happy to have to pay $300 but he is the only lawyer at this time willing to take them on. The Law Office of Lowell J. Sidney regarding the above subject. Here is the letter I received from him after speaking to him on the phone.

We filed a lawsuit alleging that flexible time shares in The Manhattan Club were oversold. The action is venued in the New York State Supreme Court, New York County under index number 654023/2015. If you believe that you are eligible for inclusion in the class, kindly complete the attached questionnaire and retainer agreement and return to our attention with a non-refundable fee of three hundred dollars ($300).

Should you have any questions, queries or comments please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

Lowell Sidney

New York, NY 10001

(888) 222-0513

I did send him an e-mail after reading the letter from rachellea8 Oct, 14 questioning him why the NY Attorney General's office would say there was NO CLASS ACTION SUIT going on and this is what he responded.

I think most of us who have been following this forum since June 2014 realize the AG's office has NOT filed a class action lawsuit...They are involved in an investigation of fraud by TMC/Eichner. An investigation is not the same as a lawsuit. There are 2 attorneys of whom I am aware who are involved in somehow helping owners. One is Lowell Sidney (who obviously has filed suit according to the email to which I am responding) and the other Doug Wasser, who I believe is helping his clients understand what is going with the AG and keeping them apprised. I believe that if the AG does find Eichner and/or TMC guilty of whatever, that gives any of us who want to sue a much better leg to stand on. Without these findings, it would be much harder to have a successful suit. I have read about other lawsuits against TMC that amounted to nothing. This forum started out being entitled TMC lawsuit and for some reason Redweek can't change this, because it is misleading.

I wrote and asked if the AG has a lawsuit against TMC/Eichner. I just heard back from Janice Santora in the NYAG's office...she says there is NO lawsuit that it continues to be an "ongoing investigation."

I believe the title of this thread is from a previous lawsuit that was dismissed, and is causing a lot of confusion. Seems like a new thread probably should have been started for the current NYAG investigation opened in 2014. Here is the link to the notification of this investigation from their website. It is an order to halt sales and, interestingly considering the discussion about fees, "The order also bars the corporations through which the club and the developers act from draining bank accounts connected to the hotel during the investigation."

http://www.ag.ny.gov/press-release/ag-schneiderman-announces-court-order-barring-sales-manhattan-club-timeshare-hotel

I am guessing that if enough evidence is found through this investigation then the NYAG will open a civil (or criminal) lawsuit. I'm thinking this is still probably going to take a while to get resolved, unless it is found that there is not enough evidence and dropped (which would be a little hard to swallow at this point).

Thomas M.

Last edited by thomasm832 on Oct 21, 2016 02:07 PM

Oct 21, 2016

the clarity here is that THE NYSAG VS TMC/EICHNER IS NOT A CLASS ACTION SUIT. those who have joined mr sidney could constitute a class action when the AG'S suit is resolved.

thomasm832 wrote:
deborahs528 wrote:
chrisv126 wrote:

deborahs528 wrote:
susanp816 wrote:

Best Regards,

Lowell Sidney

New York, NY 10001

(888) 222-0513

I believe the title of this thread is from a previous lawsuit that was dismissed, and is causing a lot of confusion. Seems like a new thread probably should have been started for the current NYAG investigation opened in 2014. Here is the link to the notification of this investigation from their website. It is an order to halt sales and, interestingly considering the discussion about fees, "The order also bars the corporations through which the club and the developers act from draining bank accounts connected to the hotel during the investigation."

http://www.ag.ny.gov/press-release/ag-schneiderman-announces-court-order-barring-sales-manhattan-club-timeshare-hotel

I am guessing that if enough evidence is found through this investigation then the NYAG will open a civil (or criminal) lawsuit. I'm thinking this is still probably going to take a while to get resolved, unless it is found that there is not enough evidence and dropped (which would be a little hard to swallow at this point).

Chris V.
Oct 21, 2016

chrisv126 wrote:
the clarity here is that THE NYSAG VS TMC/EICHNER IS NOT A CLASS ACTION SUIT. those who have joined mr sidney could constitute a class action when the AG'S suit is resolved.

thomasm832 wrote:
deborahs528 wrote:
chrisv126 wrote:

deborahs528 wrote:
susanp816 wrote:

Best Regards,

Lowell Sidney

New York, NY 10001

(888) 222-0513

I specifically asked Janice Santora of the AG's office if there is a suit or class action suit against Eichner/TMC by the AG's office...the answer was, there is NO suit by the AG against Eichner/TMC. Only an ongoing investigation. The investigation has not become a suit because issues are being brought before the Judge, as you stated, Chris, and the situation is NOT out of the investigatory stage.

Dks
Oct 22, 2016

ok,

thanks for the clarification re the ag's actions have not yet being considered a lawsuit, and that these actions are still in the investigatory stage. when, as an experienced attorney, do you expect this to become a lawsuit, i.e., THE NYSAG VS THE MANHATTAN CLUB/EICHNER with a judge presiding as to the guilt or innocence of eichner (no further in the investigatory stages) of the charges trying to be brought against him by the ag? we owners all look forward to your enlightening us on this matter..........from a legal professional point of view. we are seeking some kind of clarification even it it means some speculation on your part. we anticipate your response regarding this matter.

thanks,

chris

deborahs528 wrote:
chrisv126 wrote:

thomasm832 wrote:
deborahs528 wrote:
chrisv126 wrote:

deborahs528 wrote:
susanp816 wrote:

Best Regards,

Lowell Sidney

New York, NY 10001

(888) 222-0513

I specifically asked Janice Santora of the AG's office if there is a suit or class action suit against Eichner/TMC by the AG's office...the answer was, there is NO suit by the AG against Eichner/TMC. Only an ongoing investigation. The investigation has not become a suit because issues are being brought before the Judge, as you stated, Chris, and the situation is NOT out of the investigatory stage.

Chris V.
Oct 23, 2016

Sure, the Class action is active at the NY Supreme Court . It was filed by the attorney LOWELL J.SIDNEY on Dec 03, 2015 as an individual case for the plaintiff. On March 11, 2016 Mr. SIDNEY moved the case to a commercial class action without consideration of the monetary threshold and filed an amended Class Action Summons, "individually and on behalf of all others similarly situated".

Index Number 654023/2015. Status Active. Plaintiff BARNETT, GLENN E . Defendant EICHNER, IAN BRUCE, et all . Plaintiff Firm LOWELL J.SIDNEY. Defendant Firm KATSKY KORINS, LLP. Justice KORNREICH, SHIRLEY WERNER.

The case could be accessed via the below links by entering the index number - 654023/2015.

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/FCASSearch http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/iscroll/SQLData.jsp?IndexNo=654023-2015&Submit2=Search

Fibo N.

Last edited by fibon on Oct 23, 2016 12:29 AM

Oct 23, 2016

To my belief, the Class action filing is a MUST read for any Manhattan Club owner, same as NYG case.

Adding my 5 cents, I would say, everyone should read it to avoid the complaint's errors or misrepresentation in the future possible law suits. Next hearing was scheduled to Jan 2017, but, unfortunately , the current Relief Sought status seems to be "Dismiss". I hope the attorney will proceed with valuable arguments.

Fibo N.
Oct 24, 2016

Does anyone have any thoughts or further info/experience with this part of the investigation notice on the NYAG website?:

"The order also bars the corporations through which the club and the developers act from draining bank accounts connected to the hotel during the investigation."

I am thinking that this could provide justification for not paying maintenance fees, even though they come from a credit card and not a bank account.

Thomas M.
Oct 24, 2016

Fibon,

I think the best possible outcome from the NYAG lawsuit is a ruling that stops the developer from controlling the Owners Association. The Association is the way the developer controls the whole thing.

While it is unlikely that the request for dismissal is anything more than a stalling tactic, I worry that the AG will enter into a settlement agreement that is too favorable to the developer just to get it over with.

If we establish that the most important objective is having the owners control the Owners Association, we go a very long way in getting what we need.

Craig R.
Oct 24, 2016

craig, your words are precisely my thoughts. your words reflect the hopeful outcome of the end of this legal wrangling perfectly.

thanks,

chris

craigr32 wrote:
Fibon,

I think the best possible outcome from the NYAG lawsuit is a ruling that stops the developer from controlling the Owners Association. The Association is the way the developer controls the whole thing.

While it is unlikely that the request for dismissal is anything more than a stalling tactic, I worry that the AG will enter into a settlement agreement that is too favorable to the developer just to get it over with.

If we establish that the most important objective is having the owners control the Owners Association, we go a very long way in getting what we need.

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Oct 24, 2016 05:45 PM

Oct 25, 2016

Craig, I agree. Any ideas on how we establish that for the AG?

Sally W.
Oct 25, 2016

Craig,

Request for dismissal in my post referred to the Class action that had been filed at the Supreme Court by the attorney LOWELL J.SIDNEY, not by the NYAG. Did you have a chance to read the docs for that Class action? If yes, could you please share your opinion on the Class action Summons?

My point was if the current Class action fails, it would be more problematic for NYAG to continue the investigatory phase. To remind, the owners had 3 previous Class actions and numerous individual law suits, all of them were dismissed.

In regards to the best possible outcome from the NYAG investigation (so far it is not a law suite but an investigatory phase in preparation for the law suite), personally, like many other owners, I am looking to get out from the MC ownership. As you said, the objective is having the owners control the Owners Association, goes to " a very long way" in getting what we need. The way could be too long. I do not need my kids or relatives to experience the same head aches with the MC, as I had experienced. MC Financial issues will be right there, as the result of paying the legal fees and the owners refusal to pay the maintenance fees.

Fibo N.
Oct 26, 2016

davidp1102 wrote:
I have called the credit card company and have put a block on Manhattan Club charges. I have already paid them for this year, but that is the last dollar they will get from me.

I also tried to give it back. Even went to the sales floor and sat with someone in an office. They did not want it.

They have diminished the value of the investment and should be held responsible for restitution.

Thank you to all who are involved and have brought this disgrace forward.

The discount travel sites that are selling Manhattan Club should be petitioned to stop.

I have seen these mentions of people "blocking" MC credit charges. How do you do this? My mom, who is an owner, said the credit card company told her they can't block charges, only dispute after they have been charged. Do different credit card companies have different rules for blocking charges?

Thomas M.
Oct 26, 2016

Surest way to stop automatic payments to TMC is to close the account they are coming out of. I closed my bank account and opened a different account at the same bank on the same day. If it were going to a credit card, I would call the company and close the credit card. Even if your card has a balance, the account can be closed so no further charges go to it while you continue to pay off the balance.

Sally W.
Oct 26, 2016

I spoke to Douglas Wasser NY attorney representing 29 Manhattan Club Owners in a class action. He said Manhattan Club appealed but that does not stop NY AG investigation.

I don't think any AG represents individuals. They always advise to get an attorney.

I just wrote an article about it comparing Schneiderman supporting owners to Florida Pam Bondi supporting developers.

Irene P.
Oct 27, 2016

thomasm832 wrote:
davidp1102 wrote:
I have called the credit card company and have put a block on Manhattan Club charges. I have already paid them for this year, but that is the last dollar they will get from me.

I also tried to give it back. Even went to the sales floor and sat with someone in an office. They did not want it.

They have diminished the value of the investment and should be held responsible for restitution.

Thank you to all who are involved and have brought this disgrace forward.

The discount travel sites that are selling Manhattan Club should be petitioned to stop.

I have seen these mentions of people "blocking" MC credit charges. How do you do this? My mom, who is an owner, said the credit card company told her they can't block charges, only dispute after they have been charged. Do different credit card companies have different rules for blocking charges?

You can call/write the club (emailing is best because you then have everything in writing) and you can tell them you no longer authorize them to charge your/your mother's cc for maintenance fees. Tell them you want a bill going forward(whether you pay it or not).

Dks
Oct 27, 2016

Thanks for the replies. She cancelled the credit card since she had a new one. Wish I had found this site last year! She hasn't even been able to use TMC for the last few years and earlier this year asked me to try to sell it for her on ebay, where I discovered people can't even give them away due to the fees, etc. Hope this eventually gets resolved with some retribution for the owners.

Thomas M.
Nov 08, 2016

When reading the MC motion at the Class action case I am getting impressed with the MC tricks on how they explain lack of reservation.

The owner-plaintiff could not get usage from 2006 until 2012. When the owner called the club, no reservations were available. MC says it's not their fault because the owner converted interest into points in the RCI system at the time of the sales pitch in 2006. Therefore the owner had to make all of their reservations for MC through RCI and not through the Manhattan Club.

If that's the case, can any one imagine that owners were calling MC for six years, several times per year, for reservations, and been never told they supposed to call RCI, not MC (???).

Looking at the plaintiff records, my contract has the same features, same price, and included MC reservations AND RCI points, as an addition to the Deeded purchase. That means that upon my choice I can make reservations at MC OR use points through RCI. At my Purchase Agreement there is no a word about RCI.

A few times ago I paid my fees over the phone with MC and was transferred to the Reservation department at the moment of payment submission. As they say "now you are able to make reservations".

As per my understanding from the owners' posts, contracts where RCI replaces MC direct reservation appeared at the latest sales but not at the years 2006-2009. Can anybody share and post their experience?

Fibo N.
Nov 23, 2016

it's surprising that no posts since fibon's november 8 writing have been listed here in this redweek.com forum, THE MANHATTAN CLUB LAWSUIT. is it that members of this forum have stopped sending current information?

chris

Chris V.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.