The Manhattan Club

Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Dec 10, 2017

We haven’t paid in 3 yrs and have excellent credit. Three years back I sent a registered letter stating I wish to deed back our ownership. We were told we would be put on a list since the litigation was ongoing.

Elaine F.
Dec 11, 2017

I have stopped paying with no problems so far.

Bruce G.
Dec 11, 2017

We have stopped paying in 2014, credit is excellent, no problems. Last time MC sent a bill, I believe, 2 years ago; since then no phone calls or mails for payments. Account was good in 2011-2014.

Fibo N.
Dec 11, 2017

My understanding is that there won't be a deed back if the account is not current (fees paid). Of course, the if about all of this is how the new owners, if there ever is a new owner, will honor the deed backs. Perhaps it would be advantageous to figure out some way that could be part of the sale. I am the executor of an estate and a MHC unit is in the estate. Fees are current, but I am going to wait until the end of Jan. 2018 to decide if I am going to pay again. Tim

Tim C.
Dec 12, 2017

I asked TMC to take back the timeshare a couple of weeks ago. They called and said I the only way I could get rid of it is to sell it to someone else. The next day, I got a bill threatening late charges past the due date. I combed the bill (and previous bills) but there is no due date. Hmm...

Sally M.
Dec 13, 2017

Good Evening. FYI: On the Internet today I observed an advertisement from the Manhattan Club. They have a "Seasons Greetings Package" available which includes a bottle of wine. The prices and availability are listed as follows. December: Rates for various dates are listed between $339.47,$356.00 and $439.07 For New Year's Eve and New Year's Day the rate is $505.47.

January and February: Rates listed are $238.21with Friday and Saturday nights at $258.96

March: Rates listed for various days are between $238.21,$258.96 and $263.94 Friday and Saturday at $305.44

Kevin O.

Last edited by kevin631 on Dec 13, 2017 03:16 PM

Dec 13, 2017

So... I used a lawyer (recommended on a timeshare thread) about a year ago to try and get out of my timeshares. One was easy, but the lawyer said that it wasn't possible to get out of TMC while they were going through the AG investigation.

I contacted this lawyer yesterday and was referred to another lawyer who will be able to get us our of our contract. This lawyer, who is in communications with TMC, will do the paperwork so our fees stop; then, when things are settled with the new owner, get us out of the contract.

We will get no money from TMC and we will have to pay the lawyer (more than an annual fee, but we used points and every other year, so less than a year of our contract plus RCI fees and exchanges.)

Sally M.

Last edited by phyl21 on Dec 13, 2017 05:57 PM

Dec 13, 2017

That is terrible news - so we are being charged more for our maintenance fees than they get for the week's rent? That is very disturbing. We will never get out of this scam. How can they be charging for rental weeks - whose weeks are they renting? I thought all the weeks (and more) had been sold by Eichner? So, where are these weeks coming from and who gets the rental income? I had asked the penthouse director if the M. Club had set up a rental program for the owners - this was back in October - I was told "no".

Gail J.
Dec 13, 2017

Eichner has claimed that they kept some of the 286 units for their own purposes. It is not possible to determine how many purchasers have walked away, possibly leaving some availability. I haven’t heard many complaints lately of owners in good standing having difficulty getting reservations. So perhaps they are having vacancy issues.

tulipblossom wrote:
That is terrible news - so we are being charged more for our maintenance fees than they get for the week's rent? That is very disturbing. We will never get out of this scam. How can they be charging for rental weeks - whose weeks are they renting? I thought all the weeks (and more) had been sold by Eichner? So, where are these weeks coming from and who gets the rental income? I had asked the penthouse director if the M. Club had set up a rental program for the owners - this was back in October - I was told "no".

Dennis C.
Dec 14, 2017

tulipblossom wrote:

Surely the management has a naughty and nice list of all owners. I can only hope that the time being rented is for those who have stopped paying their maintenance fees, because clearly being in arrears they would not be allowed to book. I also hope that that rental income is being used to pay those maintenance fees so that the rest of us who do are less impacted.

W. S.
Dec 14, 2017

Please tell me the lawyer info and contact information you are using to get out of the timeshare thanks

Bruce D.
Dec 14, 2017

OK.--- Thomas E. Acey. --- ta@aaronsonaustin.com ----- if you decide to go with them, do me a favor and "drop" my name. I may or may not get "credit" for it, but I can't NOT share this info. TMC has caused too much trouble. Sally Markiewicz

Sally M.

Last edited by sallym210 on Dec 14, 2017 05:08 AM

Dec 14, 2017

They are probably using the days not available to the people not paying their maintenance.

By the way. Those of you who said your credit scored has not been affected by non payment, keep checking. Now that there is a settlement, TMC can be much more aggressive.

tulipblossom wrote:

William M.
Dec 14, 2017

sallym210 wrote:
OK.--- Thomas E. Acey. --- ta@aaronsonaustin.com ----- if you decide to go with them, do me a favor and "drop" my name. I may or may not get "credit" for it, but I can't NOT share this info. TMC has caused too much trouble. Sally Markiewicz

Could you confirm that aaronsonaustin.com is the correct website, please? It seems to be about webhosting and design.

Sharon L.
Dec 15, 2017

Here : aaronsonlawgroup.com/ Austin N. Aaronson, Esq. Aaronson, Austin, P.A. 1801 Lee Rd., Ste 241 Winter Park, FL 32789 aa@aaronsonaustin.com Education: University of Colorado, 1978-1979 B

That's the correct site/address.

Andreas W.
Dec 15, 2017

Yes, in FL.

Sally M.
Dec 16, 2017

I am seriously thinking on not paying anymore but I am afraid of the taxes we will not be paying. That would ne tax evasion, no?

Flavia T.
Dec 16, 2017

kevin631 wrote:
Good Evening. FYI: On the Internet today I observed an advertisement from the Manhattan Club. They have a "Seasons Greetings Package" available which includes a bottle of wine. The prices and availability are listed as follows. December: Rates for various dates are listed between $339.47,$356.00 and $439.07 For New Year's Eve and New Year's Day the rate is $505.47.

January and February: Rates listed are $238.21with Friday and Saturday nights at $258.96

March: Rates listed for various days are between $238.21,$258.96 and $263.94 Friday and Saturday at $305.44

You realize how unfair that is! Unacceptable...we always have to pay 400 per night! We can’t compete with them.

Flavia T.
Dec 16, 2017

tulipblossom wrote:

I was assured there would be a rental program when I bought into TMC back in 1998! It never happened.

Flavia T.
Dec 16, 2017

sallym210 wrote:
So... I used a lawyer (recommended on a timeshare thread) about a year ago to try and get out of my timeshares. One was easy, but the lawyer said that it wasn't possible to get out of TMC while they were going through the AG investigation.

I contacted this lawyer yesterday and was referred to another lawyer who will be able to get us our of our contract. This lawyer, who is in communications with TMC, will do the paperwork so our fees stop; then, when things are settled with the new owner, get us out of the contract.

We will get no money from TMC and we will have to pay the lawyer (more than an annual fee, but we used points and every other year, so less than a year of our contract plus RCI fees and exchanges.)

So this lawyer will take care of everything? He will get us out of paying those crazy fees? But the deed stays in our name until a new buyer shows up? Is that it? Can I have a contact for this lawyer? Thank you.

Flavia T.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.