Timeshare Companies

Executive Property Management

Oct 10, 2011

I got an offer for my three weeks in Puerto Vallarta,Mx that seems too good to be true. No up front fee and 5% due AFTER I receive the check for the sale. I would like to know if this is a scam. I cannot figure what the hitch is in this deal. It cannot be true. I have searched the internet and find that this Los Angeles company has been active in Florida with a slightly different name and is under surveilance of the Florida Attorney General. I am not really looking for a sale as we go down there every year for 15 years now, never bank it and still love to go there every January. My question is just is just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks.

James M.
Oct 10, 2011

jamesm1268 wrote:
I got an offer for my three weeks in Puerto Vallarta,Mx that seems too good to be true. No up front fee and 5% due AFTER I receive the check for the sale. I would like to know if this is a scam. I cannot figure what the hitch is in this deal. It cannot be true. I have searched the internet and find that this Los Angeles company has been active in Florida with a slightly different name and is under surveilance of the Florida Attorney General. I am not really looking for a sale as we go down there every year for 15 years now, never bank it and still love to go there every January. My question is just is just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks.

Yes it is a scam. First of all, timeshares in Mexico are virtually worthless for resale value. Why would any sane person or company go phoning owners of timeshares in Mexico offering to pay thousands of dollars when they can find these timeshares for dirt cheap on RedWeek, e-bay, and other reputable resale websites?

In case you cannot figure out the scam, her is how it usually plays out. They tell you they have sold your property for a ridiculously high amount like $20,000. They send you a check (which turns out to be fraudulent), and then ask you to send them their 5 per cent commission ($1000). After they cash your check or you have wired them the money, you find out that the "check" that they sent you is fake.

The other way this scam operates is that they tell you there are no upfront fees, only a commission on the sale. Sometime later, they tell you that they have a buyer lined up who has put down a deposit. You just need to send them $1000, or so, for some non-existent fee that supposedly needs to be paid before the funds can "legally" be released to you.

They will come up with all sorts of euphemisms for this upfront fee such as Mexican back taxes, title search, estoppel letter, deposit insurance, etc.

Once you send them this fee they will tell you that the buyer has backed out but they will continue to advertise your property on their website.

Good for you for smelling out such a scam.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.