General Discussion

National Timeshare Owners Association

Feb 27, 2012

I have been a member of the National Timeshare Owners Association ( NTOA ) for about five years now. I have owned timeshares for over twenty years and have had many great vacations. Over the years I have seen dramatic changes in the industry. I remember exchanging my weeks with no trouble through RCI before they were taken over by Cendant and began to sell the prime weeks on the open market depriving owners of desired exchanges. I saw maintenace fees and assessments increase due to properties deteriorating over the years. I saw developer controlled boards that treat owners unfairly. These are a few of the reasons I joined the NTOA. It's a non profit organization that represents timeshare owners. With my membership I also receive a subscription to Timesharing Today. One article I read in one of their issues helped me get rid of two timeshares just months ago by using deed backs to the home resorts. I only had to pay for the next years taxes and a small fee for processing. I didn't have to pay a post card company or a phony charity upfront fees to get rid of them.

The NTOA also lobbies for timeshare owners. The timesahre industry spends millions of dollars to promote their products and I find my membership is a small price to pay to protect my interests. Through advice I received in Timesharing Today I was able to unburden myself of two timesahres without spending thousands of dollars and many sleepless nights worrying if I did the right thing.

February 12th I attended an annual NTOA meeting in The Villages in Florida. It was the third annual meeting I have attended down here. The meetings are informative and interesting. This last meeting they had two representitives from the Florida Attorney Generals Office there to speak and answer questions. The publisher of Timesaharing Today spoke about the publication. There were reps from a few exchange companies that explained their systems. Some don't require advanced fees or depositing your week before you get your exchange. Peter Emery was there to speak. His company sells, rents and donates timeshares. He doesn't require an upfront fee and will honestly assess your property and advise you if it is marketable. Lisa Ann Schreier, the Timeshare Crusader, was there to answer anyone's questions. I now have signed copies of her books.

I could go on and on about the benefits of joining the NTOA but you will have to decide that yourself. I am not affiliatied in any way with the organization. I am just a member and am grateful for their help representing timeshare owners interests. Anyone interested in joining the NTOA or inquiring about their group can contact them at www.nationaltimeshareownersassoc.com or contact the president, Ed Hastry, at hastry@aol.com. A well informed timeshare owner is a happy timeshare owner.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Mar 02, 2012 04:34 PM

Mar 02, 2012

I can't believe that I continue to read posts and threads in the forum about people spending thousands of dollars in hopes of ridding themselves of their timeshare obligations only to see their money disappear. They will risk large sums of moeny but not join the only organization that I know of who's only purpose is to protect and educate timeshare owners. I can't impress upon all timeshare owners the importance of a strong association that works for owners. The more members the stronger the influence just like the NRA. You read all the time about how much influence the NRA has with law makers. The National Timeshare Owners Association is a non profit organization. They don't make money off of the members. I am not in any way affiliated with them. I just want to encourage other owners to join the group that has given me invaluable information to help me rid myself of two timeshares this year without worrying about being ripped off by scam artists. Please take the time to visit their website or contact them. Ed Hastry the president will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

Don P.
Mar 15, 2012

Today I just read another post about someone giving a resale company $ 1,700.00 of their hard earned money just to find out that they were scammed. I can't understand forking over that much money when there is so much information out there about these scams. Yet these same people will not join the NTOA which is the only organization that I know with the sole purpose of representing timeshare owners. I was able to unload two timesahres this year through information I received by being a member of the NTOA. It more than paid for my membership. I still own one timeshare in Las Vegas and will always be a member of the NTOA. I am grateful for all the efforts the staff takes to help it's members.

Don P.
Mar 16, 2012

Don, I looked at NTOA's website .... I would like for you (since you're a member) to request to them to send a memorandum to all USA timeshare resorts concerning scam charities and LLC scams .... it's the resort's right to turn down any transfer that looks suspicious .... maybe this can be stopped if all resorts are made aware of these scams and how they operate such as the recent charity scam that's been discussed on these forums that takes a timeshare if you pay them $500 (plus $400 closing) with no intention of them paying future maintenance fees letting the week eventually go into foreclosure. This would be a good thing for all concerned .... the resorts and the owners that have to take up the slack in higher maintenance fees due to deadbeat charities and LLCs scams.

R P.
Oct 04, 2014

Any rebuttals or defenses against these accusations?

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217579

I'm not saying NTOA is good or it's bad. I'm just wondering if these assessments are fair.

Lance C.
Oct 04, 2014

Two years ago I was a huge fan of NTOA and Timesharing today. My opinion has changed this year. It seems that they are now an advocate for the developer. I have a suspicion that they have been bought out by the timeshare industry. Their leadership has changed and their views are now pro industry. I no longer endorse them and I will not renew my membership when it expires.

Don P.
Oct 04, 2014

Lance I can't locate the thread you want me to see. Is there another way to access it ?

Don P.
Oct 05, 2014

donp196 wrote:
Lance I can't locate the thread you want me to see. Is there another way to access it ?

Try tugbbs.com, then go to "Buying, Selling, Renting". There should be a thread there entitled "National Timeshare Owners Association".

Lance C.
Oct 06, 2014

Thank you for the information. There is always power in numbers. I currently own one Marriott week. After going to a presentation about converting to points, I am more determined that ever not to do so. My maintenance fee is $1150. My home resort is just 90 mins. from my home at the Jersey Shore so we will just use it for my kids and grand to come down with us each year. It makes it an affordable vacation for all. I've sold weeks via Redweek a couple of times and will do that if I am unable to use my home week. It took us 10 years to pay for our one week and I would NEVER advise anyone to buy a timeshare though we have always had a wonderful experience using ours in France, Spain, and the states. I'll eventually join the association when I get too old or my kids don't want to use it as a way to unload it.

Pamela T.
Nov 21, 2014

Excellent Observation!

I would also say very accurate.. You may have met me at many of those meetings.

Douglas E

Last edited by pedro0390841 on Nov 21, 2014 11:17 AM

Jan 17, 2015

How does this organization help owners in the one big issue for the timeshare industry, how to get rid of them, or does it not?

NoOneYouKnow
Feb 13, 2015

I have concluded it does not, that it is an organization that is in bed with the industry.

Too much on their site links to or leads to the industry, and the industry does little to assist owners who want out.

JMHO

NoOneYouKnow

Last edited by nooneyouknow on Feb 13, 2015 10:51 AM

Feb 13, 2015

It was originally founded to help owners. I agree it no longer does. I have my suspicions that the industry bought them out.

Don P.
Feb 14, 2015

Greg Crist now runs NTOA with his wife, Cristy. Hastry is the founder. Good report on NTOA meeting.

Jeffrey W.
Mar 19, 2015

The industry states they are part of the solution, you will hear that all the time. It's truly another re-branding in the industry and it is linked to the Giants. N.T.O.A. swore years ago they would never get in bed with these timeshare companies.

Guess, that went by the wayside

Really, no need to pay money and join an organization like this, so many legitimate brokers out there that will give you honest insight into resales and rentals without having to pay money.

Douglas E

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.