Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Has anyone ever been scammed using redweek?

Mar 20, 2013

Hi Robin, Could you privately provide the name of the renter? I am seeking a unit in HH and there is one particular person who rents several Marriott weeks. His contract is quite short too. If you know his profession then you might find this surprising. Any thoughts? I appreciate your input as I have to send him $ soon to secure my week.

Thanks! gmcweston

Gabrielle C.
Mar 20, 2013

Often at All Inclusive Timeshares there is a fee to "rent the room" which is often very low. This would go to the owner or member of the TS club. The kicker is the Mandatory all inclusive fee that is paid directly to the resort sometimes at check in and sometimes ahead of time. These fees are usually per person/ per night and are often based on double occupancy for studio rooms and 4 for one bedroom, and 6 for 2 bedrooms regardless of if you have less people traveling. You need to ask and research the resort in question. Often renting or exchanging through a TS exchange company into an AI is more expensive than finding package deals including air. Often these timeshare AI resorts end up charging $60-$250 per person per day in addition to the rental fee. So you $140 week may end up costing $2500. It may seem like a scam and it certainly may not be a good deal but it is the way they work. Now if the person you are renting from does not disclose the additional fee at the time you contact to rent then they may be scamming you but all inclusives really require an extra measure of due diligence.

janetz16 wrote:
I also posted this in the general discussions. I am a newbie to redweek and I am looking to rent an all inclusive. However I have found several places with a very low nightly rate. I am talking in the $20 to $40 or so range a night. How can this be? Is this too good to be true?

I see the advise to call the resort to see if the owners are listed. Any other suggestions for a newbie to rent a place.

Thanks,

Janet

Tracey S.
Mar 22, 2013

Where do you get a good rental agreement contract? I'm just signing up with RedWeek, having been doing this on my own for a year and wanting to get better exposure. I've not have a signed agreement and like that idea. Thanks, George

George L.
Mar 22, 2013

Just saw suggestions above. Sorry. George

George L.
Mar 23, 2013

georgel244 wrote:
Where do you get a good rental agreement contract? I'm just signing up with RedWeek, having been doing this on my own for a year and wanting to get better exposure. I've not have a signed agreement and like that idea. Thanks, George

'Search forums' for sample rental agreements .... also there's a sample rental agreement posted earlier in this thread.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Mar 23, 2013 07:48 AM

Mar 23, 2013

It is on Redweeks website, just put in the search box. Irene

Irene A.
Mar 24, 2013

Hi, you can email me with and question. I'll be glad to provide you with the owners name. My email is scale_32@yahoo.com

Robin H.
Mar 25, 2013

AS AN OWNER OF SEVERAL ALL-INCLUSIVES, I CAN TELL YOU THAT FOR $20-$40 PER NIGHT DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY MEALS OR DRINKS. NOT EVEN BOTTLED WATER.

tracey75 wrote:
Often at All Inclusive Timeshares there is a fee to "rent the room" which is often very low. This would go to the owner or member of the TS club. The kicker is the Mandatory all inclusive fee that is paid directly to the resort sometimes at check in and sometimes ahead of time. These fees are usually per person/ per night and are often based on double occupancy for studio rooms and 4 for one bedroom, and 6 for 2 bedrooms regardless of if you have less people traveling. You need to ask and research the resort in question. Often renting or exchanging through a TS exchange company into an AI is more expensive than finding package deals including air. Often these timeshare AI resorts end up charging $60-$250 per person per day in addition to the rental fee. So you $140 week may end up costing $2500. It may seem like a scam and it certainly may not be a good deal but it is the way they work. Now if the person you are renting from does not disclose the additional fee at the time you contact to rent then they may be scamming you but all inclusives really require an extra measure of due diligence.

janetz16 wrote:
I also posted this in the general discussions. I am a newbie to redweek and I am looking to rent an all inclusive. However I have found several places with a very low nightly rate. I am talking in the $20 to $40 or so range a night. How can this be? Is this too good to be true?

I see the advise to call the resort to see if the owners are listed. Any other suggestions for a newbie to rent a place.

Thanks,

Janet

Gail L.
Apr 01, 2013

Where do I find the renter's agreement contract?

irenea26 wrote:
I am one of owners, so I am on offering side of the transaction. I never had any problems (I am using Redweeks for the last 5 yr). I always asking renters to sign the Renter's Agreement Contract which is leagal document in case of any disputes, it is protection on both side of the transaction . Highly remmending. I have guests coming back to me the following year and I am getting referrals business.

Marian T.
Apr 01, 2013

mariant15 wrote:
Where do I find the renter's agreement contract?

One more time .... 'search forums'.

R P.
Oct 04, 2014

I just inquired about a rental and was told payment was by check. I would feel more comfortable paying by credit card. Has everyone else mailed a check?

Lisa F.
Oct 05, 2014

I have both asked for check (but not required it) as an owner and sent a check for a rental. Asking for a check doesn't make one a scammer or not. If you don't feel comfortable and that is the only from of payment they accept move on to a different rental. You certainly don't have as much protection when you use a check. On the flip side the owner has very little protection if you use a credit card and then no show or use the rental but set up a dispute claiming the rental was not as advertised even if it was. You can also offer to cover the escrow fee or the paypal fee when using a credit card. That may work it may not. Scams aside it is a matter of who wants what the other has more and is willing to take the risks associated to get it.

Often a renter can provide references from past renters. Do you trust that those past renters are legit?

If you can't come mutually accepted terms, then there is no deal and no contract and you have to look for another rental elsewhere.

Tracey S.
Oct 05, 2014

You can use paypal. Both parties need to have an account but anyone can sign up on line. It protects the parties and you can also dispute the charge if there is a problem. They charge a small fee but it's worth the money for the added protection.

Don P.
Oct 05, 2014

PayPal technically doesn't protect either party as rentals come under non tangible goods. In practice it almost always favors the renter and not the owner as they will just reverse the charges as long as the dispute is opened within the 60 days as they claim it is not their responsibility to enforce the terms of the contract or agreement between owner and renter and it would be up to the owner to take the renter to court to enforce payment according to terms of the agreement.

It does cost about 3% of the payment to use PayPal.

Tracey S.
Oct 05, 2014

I was also told I could use a PayPal account using a credit card but would have to pay the 3% fee, which is fine with me.

Lisa F.
Jan 11, 2016

Did you use the full service or do it yourself? Thanks.

Greg S.
Jan 13, 2016

I get a down payment thru PayPal , 24 hour cancelation window, now I can put the reservation in there name for them to call and confirm within that 24 hour period. Now both parties should be comfortable to move on If enough time is available , they will send me a check within 5 business days for the full amount. (Non refundable) If limited on time not giving me enough time for check to clear, I will ask for a PayPal payment with a 3% up charge They can pay the hole amount PayPal if they are more comfortable with the 3% up charge

Both parties are skeptical , I just want to see my place rent. Hopefully I will build up me network with happy vacationers and not have to market them. Dave

Dave

Last edited by davidg1131 on Jan 15, 2016 10:28 AM

Mar 11, 2016

has anyone rented from Steve Likins - Hilton Head Timeshare Resales…looking at renting from his office and can't find much on line about the office

Mary A.

Last edited by danusia77 on Mar 13, 2016 11:04 AM

Mar 13, 2016

any experience with this office greatly appreciated

Mary A.
Mar 13, 2016

Well, I can agree with the others that it is best to have a contract in place. I have had a very bad experience with redweek and since I have usually bought from a different site. I am not saying that your experience will necessarily be the same as mine - of course not, I am not trying to make bad business. I am just saying that it is of utmost importance to exercise caution. WIthout contracts NOTHING! Maybe it is even good to let a notary to take a look at the contract before signing it. Just my two cents ;)

Josh G.

Last edited by phyl21 on Mar 13, 2016 09:23 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.