Marriott's Aruba Surf Club

My reservation is not mine?

Jul 22, 2013

i also tried thru florida board, and got nowhere as it is out of the country. we really need to band together and get our money back!

Marilyn S.
Sep 18, 2013

My friend and I rented through him for Xmas 2012. He stole our money. We filed complaints with all our correspondence to the Florida state Board of Real Estate. They have chosen to do nothing. We found him through vacation rental by owner and contacted red week. Apparently these web sites and Marriott do not care that someone uses eir business to commit fraud. I think the lesson is Never use any of these web sites. I am shocked that Rohan McClure is still scamming people and no one cares to stop him. Neither the industry he uses to steal or the government. These web sites apparently don't mind being an accomplice to this con man

Rich N.
Sep 18, 2013

He stole thousands in December 2012 from me and my friend. We have tried to file a complaint with the FL real estate board. Filed police reports. No government agency is interested in stopping this crook

Rich N.
Sep 18, 2013

We trusted him for the same reason. We had already filed a complaint with the FL real estate board. They investigated for months. While he was taking your money... They have told us that they plan to do nothing. Apparently governments are mainly in the business of collecting taxes....

Rich N.
Sep 23, 2013

Rohan is indeed a scam artist! He currently is renting a condo from me and has bounced 2 checks!

Mark E.

Last edited by phyl21 on Sep 23, 2013 10:30 AM

Sep 23, 2013

I just noticed that you edited the message. Please give me a call to discuss 516-942-8734. I am the owner of the place Rohan previously rented.

E C.
Sep 25, 2013

I have posted previously when he scammed us back in February of this year out of $4,000 - I was fortunate enough to get it back from our credit card companies but he put us through hell and back. I can't believe that he is still at it. Here is a link to a website called "meetup.com" which he joined on 9/11/13 in Palm Beach area and cited himself as "new" to the Real Estate Investment Industry and is looking to network with others in the same area. I have tried to contact the coordinator but not sure it is reaching him. He is simply looking for more victims. www.meetup.com/PALM-BEACH-REAL-ESTATE-INVESTORS-ASSOCIATION/member/110876212/

Courtney S.

Last edited by courtneys65 on Sep 25, 2013 08:20 AM

Sep 25, 2013

-

Courtney S.

Last edited by courtneys65 on Sep 25, 2013 08:21 AM

Sep 25, 2013

I also found the link to this group Rohan is using - he is a fraud and needs to be stopped. I am sure he is just looking for more victims. www.meetup.com/PALM-BEACH-REAL-ESTATE-INVESTORS-ASSOCIATION/member/110876212/ You can visit the site and report him as fraud. Every bit helps.

Scammed B.
Sep 25, 2013

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that we (RedWeek) did follow-up on the complaints we received for Rohan McClure, and his RedWeek account was removed in April of this year. We have also found and removed another membership he set up to post rentals just this past June.

If any of you have had correspondence with Rohan, or any broker that has operated in a similar fashion, please do let us know immediately. We need copies of the e-mail correspondence, or any other identifying details to be able to track down their accounts. Please send any info to us at support@redweek.com. We do make these complaints our top priority, and will remove any member who is not following through on their rental commitments as soon as we are able to identify them.

Thanks, Kylie

Kylie
RedWeek.com

Last edited by kyliec on Sep 25, 2013 12:40 PM

Dec 12, 2013

As an owner of 2 weeks at the Marriott Surf Club I have rented to others and all I have to do is call Marriott as an owner and change the reservation name to the name of who I rented it to. Then I give the reservation to my guests and they can see it on the Marriott website

nancyc402 wrote:
I booked a week at the Surf Club for this week from Thurs to next Thurs so thought I would just confirm again before we leave. The confirmation number I got from the person selling turns out to not have my name on it at all and the seller on that one isnt even the name of the person that sold it to me. Everything seems legit - I got a formal reservation conf from the Marriott. I called them but they told me to contact the seller. Ha ha ... I emailed and called the person but am getting no response. I'm getting the feeling I've been screwed??? any suggestions?

Maureen M.
Dec 12, 2013

go there with you information and reservation number They will honor your reservation somehow. I had the same thing happen to me many years ago, got there and they honored my reservation I own two weeks at surf club and rented it and they couldn't go and rerented it to someone else. I did get the new people on the reservation.

maureenm56 wrote:
As an owner of 2 weeks at the Marriott Surf Club I have rented to others and all I have to do is call Marriott as an owner and change the reservation name to the name of who I rented it to. Then I give the reservation to my guests and they can see it on the Marriott website

nancyc402 wrote:
I booked a week at the Surf Club for this week from Thurs to next Thurs so thought I would just confirm again before we leave. The confirmation number I got from the person selling turns out to not have my name on it at all and the seller on that one isnt even the name of the person that sold it to me. Everything seems legit - I got a formal reservation conf from the Marriott. I called them but they told me to contact the seller. Ha ha ... I emailed and called the person but am getting no response. I'm getting the feeling I've been screwed??? any suggestions?

Sharon E.
Dec 12, 2013

Kylie you have one of the largest reputable companies for selling and renting timeshares. You should look to prosecute the scammers. These people are using your website - stand behind the removing the post is not enough for redweek to do!

kyliec wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that we (RedWeek) did follow-up on the complaints we received for Rohan McClure, and his RedWeek account was removed in April of this year. We have also found and removed another membership he set up to post rentals just this past June.

If any of you have had correspondence with Rohan, or any broker that has operated in a similar fashion, please do let us know immediately. We need copies of the e-mail correspondence, or any other identifying details to be able to track down their accounts. Please send any info to us at support@redweek.com. We do make these complaints our top priority, and will remove any member who is not following through on their rental commitments as soon as we are able to identify them.

Thanks, Kylie

Sharon E.
Dec 12, 2013

I cannot believe that Redweek could allow fraudulent advertising, but nothing is sacred anymore . I liked the idea of using a credit card to secure the t.s. That way if the offer is bogus the credit card company can protect its holders and go after jerk(s). I have advertised and rented for years and always provide the reservation add-on name of the renter immediately after payment.

Marcia B.
Dec 13, 2013

No one would like to rid the timeshare industry of scammers more than RedWeek, and we are doing everything in our power to keep our members safe from their activity. Removing scammer posts from RedWeek is just the tip of the iceberg; we have other proprietary programs in place to prevent scammers from accessing the site. However, no system is foolproof, and most scammers user aliases, stolen credit cards, and free e-mail accounts; all of which make it hard, if not impossible, to know their true identities. What we do know is that they are mostly working out of foreign countries, making it difficult for U.S. authorities to find and prosecute them.

Despite our many reports to the FBI, Secret Service, IC3.gov, attorneys general, and the local authorities, we have not been successful in getting any of these departments/agencies to take our case – they are simply too busy, with larger fish to fry.

Fortunately, due to our enhanced efforts to identify and remove scammers, very few scams have occurred on RedWeek. We encourage our users to please notify us if they suspect they may have encountered a scammer on RedWeek – you are our best line of defense.

Kylie
RedWeek.com
Dec 13, 2013

my son said that there is a company that rents apartments for short terms similar to timeshare renting, however they screen both sides before the deal is done. They actually collect the money through their credit care. Is there a way that redweek can have an option like that for renters that are looking for more protection? Maybe they can pay an extra fee for the luxury of knowing that they are not getting ripped off. That is why people use rental companies like Concierge Realty etc. They guarantee that it is only the owner or a third party that has authority to rent the unit I've rented through them and they have me sign several agreements that are co-signed by the renter.

Sharon E.
Dec 17, 2013

Yes, that is a great suggestion, thanks. We are working on something similar - stay tuned :)

Kylie
RedWeek.com
Dec 17, 2013

the company is called Air Bed they guarantee the rentals - it eliminates fraud.

Sharon E.
Apr 20, 2014

how did it work out?

Alan F.
Apr 20, 2014

I don't mean to be rude but this is very poor advise and not accurate. I happen to know for a fact that this is not true. What happens is the following: If a "scammer" rents out a unit to more than one person, the person who arrives first gets the unit. The other person(s) do not necessarily get a unit. The SC has no obligation to honour what was done between private parties. The SC inventory manager will (because she is a very nice person) will try to find you accommodations if there is something available but it is not for free. She will try to get the person who owns the unit to give his credit card to cover the amount for your "new" rental but if he doesn't want to then you must pay for it. I know this because in Dec. 2012 this happened to someone I know. The person rented out the unit twice and then when the second family arrived during one of the busiest times of the year, there were no rooms left. They rented a two bedroom from the scammer but needed to squish into a one bedroom and then move over to the OC for the last few days as well. What is recommended if you are renting a unit is to call the Marriott and verify that the person you are renting from does in fact own the unit. Then make sure your name is on the reservation. However, that is not always a guarantee either because the owner can take your name off as well! Check many times to ensure your name stays on the reservation and most importantly, check just prior to leaving that your name is on the reservation.

The SC/OC/Marriott is under no obligation to find you a room as they want you to rent from them. A recent newsletter to owners "suggested" that to ensure legitimacy it is always best to rent from them. Of course at a much higher price!!!

sharone81 go there with you information and reservation number They will honor your reservation somehow. I had the same thing happen to me many years ago, got there and they honored my reservation I own two weeks at surf club and rented it and they couldn't go and rerented it to someone else. I did get the new people on the reservation.

Mark M.

Last edited by randig11 on Apr 20, 2014 11:30 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.