Ask RedWeek

Interval international non-rental claus

Nov 03, 2012

Do we have a thread that talks about the other alternatives to bank our units, rather than RCI and II? I for one who be interested in any that might be good to use. However, I don't know if that might be considered "advertising" or "promoting" another exchange method

Jakes mom
Nov 03, 2012

I know DAE is a reputable exchange company .... you can google 'timeshare exchange companies' for others, however I have no idea how much inventory they may have for exchanges.

R P.
Nov 03, 2012

Here are some independent exchange companies that I found via Google:

Dial An Exchange

Dial An Exchange Live

Hawaii Timeshare Exchange

SFX Exchange

Trading Places International

Platinum Interchange

R P.
Nov 04, 2012

Thanks for the above information. We have been waiting for an exchange from II for Marriott Ocean club or St. Kitts for March 9-16 for 9 months. Will try one of the companies you suggested.

Monica D.
Nov 04, 2012

I already looked int DAE. They had nothing in the areas I was interested in. Very little USA inventory. Maybe if we started a thread on alternative companies to deposit with, we could inform redweek owners and more would be deposited there.

Jakes mom
Nov 04, 2012

monicad14 wrote:
Thanks for the above information. We have been waiting for an exchange from II for Marriott Ocean club or St. Kitts for March 9-16 for 9 months. Will try one of the companies you suggested.

I believe SFX handles the higher end exchanges .... Marriott would be considered higher end, however I didn't see St Kitts listed on their website .... I did see Marriott's Ocean Club in Aruba.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Nov 04, 2012 07:02 AM

Nov 04, 2012

alldolledup wrote:
I already looked int DAE. They had nothing in the areas I was interested in. Very little USA inventory. Maybe if we started a thread on alternative companies to deposit with, we could inform redweek owners and more would be deposited there.

There-in lies the problem with most independent exchange companies .... lack of inventory.

R P.
Nov 04, 2012

jayjay wrote:
There-in lies the problem with most independent exchange companies .... lack of inventory.

As I said in a previous post, lack of volume produces a less than efficient and effective marketplace. If we all jumped ship to the independents that would make them great. Unfortunately too many owners will just stick with the "affiliated" company they were signed up with at purchase. The same affiliated company that skims inventory from the exchange pool, charges exorbitant rates, and yes, makes up rules that ultimately benefit them.

For now, our only option is to put up with it or to "speak with our feet" and change to independent exchange companies and use rental and trade services like the ones you find here at Red Week.

Ron D.
Nov 05, 2012

Thanks so much for the info. I will look into it today.

Monica D.
Nov 05, 2012

rond186 wrote:
jayjay wrote:

As I said in a previous post, lack of volume produces a less than efficient and effective marketplace. If we all jumped ship to the independents that would make them great. Unfortunately too many owners will just stick with the "affiliated" company they were signed up with at purchase. The same affiliated company that skims inventory from the exchange pool, charges exorbitant rates, and yes, makes up rules that ultimately benefit them.

For now, our only option is to put up with it or to "speak with our feet" and change to independent exchange companies and use rental and trade services like the ones you find here at Red Week.

That's why the mantra is buy where you wouldn't mind going every year .... that way you don't have to depend on exchange companies.

In this economy many timeshares can be rented for less than the yearly maintenance fee.

R P.
Nov 05, 2012

Yup. Said it many times. BUY WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. There are no guarantees any of the rest will be here next week, month, year or decade.

I guess we should add where you CAN (can afford to) go to this. Too many people can't afford to fly families to Hawaii, etc. even if they can afford their timeshare.

Rented for less than MF AND that says nothing of the initial investment, especially if purchased from developer.

Ron D.
Nov 06, 2012

rond186 wrote:
Yup. Said it many times. BUY WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. There are no guarantees any of the rest will be here next week, month, year or decade.

I guess we should add where you CAN (can afford to) go to this. Too many people can't afford to fly families to Hawaii, etc. even if they can afford their timeshare.

Rented for less than MF AND that says nothing of the initial investment, especially if purchased from developer.

Exactly ....

R P.
Nov 07, 2012

I posted a comment here a few days back, and mentioned that I was waining on being an II member due to the lack of exchanges within my home resort company. All of a sudden I get two phone calls back to back 5th and 6th from II. Found them on my caller ID. Now there is no way for them to find out from this membership who I am is there?

Ric K.
Nov 08, 2012

rick1227 wrote:
Now there is no way for them to find out from this membership who I am is there?

Shouldn't be, unless you have posted personal details here. Without many personal details it would be hard to nail down an individual member. I do not believe they would take the time or effort.

I do believe they read the major forums, like this one and TUG, but to search someone out as you suspect, I highly doubt it.

I think you may have come across one of those coincidences in life.

Ron D.

Last edited by rond186 on Nov 08, 2012 01:34 PM

Nov 09, 2012

rond186 wrote:
rick1227 wrote:
Now there is no way for them to find out from this membership who I am is there?

Shouldn't be, unless you have posted personal details here. Without many personal details it would be hard to nail down an individual member. I do not believe they would take the time or effort.

I do believe they read the major forums, like this one and TUG, but to search someone out as you suspect, I highly doubt it.

I think you may have come across one of those coincidences in life.

ron is correct .... unless you have posted your contact info in an ad somewhere on the internet, then there's no way II could get that info from Redweek's forums.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Nov 09, 2012 07:06 AM

Nov 09, 2012

Remember one thing: just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that people are not out to get you :)

Don P.
Mar 14, 2014

Its finally a business !! Wont be renewing with II again. The non rental clause is a deal breaker and has same bitter aftertaste as Goldman Sachs clients. For those that don't know, GS was front running trade orders (to get the stock cheaper) ahead of their own wealthy clients !! How do you win ?

Todd L.
Mar 15, 2014

narenr wrote:
Its finally a business !! Wont be renewing with II again. The non rental clause is a deal breaker and has same bitter aftertaste as Goldman Sachs clients. For those that don't know, GS was front running trade orders (to get the stock cheaper) ahead of their own wealthy clients !! How do you win ?

The reason II and RCI do not allow rentals of exchanges is to keep people from exchanging for the most sought after resorts/locations then renting them out making it a profitable business .... it's to protect you, the owner, to be able to get those exchanges.

R P.
May 23, 2014

How do I pay my annual maintenance fee and reserve a week without "depositing" it with II ? Do I just call me club and reserve a week directly with the club? I thought I always had to go through II?

jayjay wrote:
Below is the message on Redweek under 'Sell or Rent Your Timeshare' questions and answers .... both RCI and II peruse timeshare ad sites for such abuses:

Can I rent out the week I received on exchange from RCI or II?

No, both companies prohibit this practice. Next time, post your timeshare for rent instead of giving it to RCI or II.

Thomas L.
May 23, 2014

Yes, you would reserve your week through your resort.

Where do you own? It sounds like you might have points or at the very least some kind of float time. Even so you would need to call your resort depending on the reservation procedure it would either be 12 months prior to the desired check in date or in a few resorts Jan 1 of the use year. I would call now to find out when you can reserve for next year.

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.