Ask RedWeek

Can I cancel my Club Membership with Diamond Resorts and just go back to my group?

Dec 06, 2012

I was an ILX Premier Vacation Club member. When DRI bought out ILX, I bought into the Club to try and expand my options. Now I mostly have unused points and high maintenance fees. I am wondering if I can cancel my Club membership and at least reduce my maintenance fees. I know that restricts me back to only the ILX properties. DRI told me that if I sell or give away my timeshare, that is all the new owner would get anyway. At least I would be sure of what I was transferring and if I can't get rid of it, I could reduce my fees. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how I go about doing it?

Beth M.
Dec 07, 2012

Did you sign a contract when you bought into the DRI Club. If so then I'm afraid you won't be able to rescind that contract.

R P.
Jan 24, 2013

Sorry to say, but Diamond resorts and Mr Cloobeck does not take anything back. He has you for life and after death your children will have to take the burden on for paying the maintenance fees, etc.

bethm199 wrote:
I was an ILX Premier Vacation Club member. When DRI bought out ILX, I bought into the Club to try and expand my options. Now I mostly have unused points and high maintenance fees. I am wondering if I can cancel my Club membership and at least reduce my maintenance fees. I know that restricts me back to only the ILX properties. DRI told me that if I sell or give away my timeshare, that is all the new owner would get anyway. At least I would be sure of what I was transferring and if I can't get rid of it, I could reduce my fees. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how I go about doing it?

Uli H.
Jan 24, 2013

Your children don't have to take the burden of the maintenance fees. No one can force them to accept title after your death. That is a false statement that the post card companies use to scare people into using their scam. Check with any attorney and you will find that no one can force anyone to inherit anything they don't want.

Don P.
Jan 24, 2013

So what is the legal verbage in your will that releases the children from being chased after for the "debt" which is not paid after my death. What kind of lawer would draw this up?

donp196 wrote:
Your children don't have to take the burden of the maintenance fees. No one can force them to accept title after your death. That is a false statement that the post card companies use to scare people into using their scam. Check with any attorney and you will find that no one can force anyone to inherit anything they don't want.

Uli H.
Jan 24, 2013

Same scare tactics the post card companies use. Nobody can force anyone to accept a debt they didn't agree to and that includes inheritance. Talk to any attorney they will verify that information. They can go after the estate but once the estate is settled it's over.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Jan 24, 2013 04:41 PM

Jan 25, 2013

The estate can not be settled until the annual dues issue is settled and the property is disposed of. And nobody wants it, even for free. Diamond Resorts has no program to take the deeded property back. So the kids have this loose end to deal with and it is an obligation. The estate and inheritance can not be closed.

donp196 wrote:
Same scare tactics the post card companies use. Nobody can force anyone to accept a debt they didn't agree to and that includes inheritance. Talk to any attorney they will verify that information. They can go after the estate but once the estate is settled it's over.

Uli H.
Jan 26, 2013

First of all. No HOA knows if someone died unless someone notifies them. By the time the realize the person is deceased the estate would be settled. They will just assume the party is delinquint in their maintenance fees. Anyone dumb enough to notify them should have their estate held up. It's just common sense. No heirs can be forced to take something they don't want. Talk to any attorney and he will tell you the same. The timeshare will just go into default and the HOA will get it back. I'm not going to argue a point that is just plain common sense.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Jan 26, 2013 12:21 PM

Jan 27, 2013

Thanks for your comment. I guess one just lets it go into a black hole. To me it is just an unprofessional way of running a bussiness, but then I guess, it has to be done so. I will have to take them out of my Living Trust and hide them. Some day the timeshare people will have to wake up and do a correct recycling of the properties, since there is no resale value in it.

donp196 wrote:
First of all. No HOA knows if someone died unless someone notifies them. By the time the realize the person is deceased the estate would be settled. They will just assume the party is delinquint in their maintenance fees. Anyone dumb enough to notify them should have their estate held up. It's just common sense. No heirs can be forced to take something they don't want. Talk to any attorney and he will tell you the same. The timeshare will just go into default and the HOA will get it back. I'm not going to argue a point that is just plain common sense.

Uli H.
Jan 27, 2013

What is interesting is that someone who is looking to get rid of a timeshare can transfer it to someone who has nothing to lose especially someone elderly so it can be gone in time. I'll bet it's been done many times to rid themselves of the lifetime obligation. The problem with the timeshare industry is that there is no exit plan and sometimes that forces people to become creative disposing of their properties.

Don P.
Jan 28, 2013

Yes, I am afraid we are stuck. And looking into the future, all the timeshare companies are selling more and more and get more suckers like me hooked. The pot is getting fuller, when will it boil over ???? Thanks for the insight.

donp196 wrote:
What is interesting is that someone who is looking to get rid of a timeshare can transfer it to someone who has nothing to lose especially someone elderly so it can be gone in time. I'll bet it's been done many times to rid themselves of the lifetime obligation. The problem with the timeshare industry is that there is no exit plan and sometimes that forces people to become creative disposing of their properties.

Uli H.
Mar 11, 2013

Yes you can. I know because we did the same last year. We just can't afford it anymore. We would love to get rid of the timeshare also, but that's more difficult.

Ellen J.
May 16, 2013

ellenj65 wrote:
Yes you can. I know because we did the same last year. We just can't afford it anymore. We would love to get rid of the timeshare also, but that's more difficult.

How did you cancel your club membership? I am currently trying to get rid of mine and Diamond Resorts keeps telling me that the only time I could opt out was when they first took over Premier.

Kim L.
Jun 12, 2013

Cindy.. that looks like a scam company to me. I'm sure they want money upfront. They claim they get paid when they cancel your timeshare but that's the scam. They just want your money upfront and then they ignore you and disappear.

Don P.
Dec 05, 2013

Someone mentioned that they did cancel last year. Can you please give us insight on how to do this.

Mayolly D.
Feb 03, 2014

In february 2013 I bacame a DRI member, but now, one year later, I face financial problems and won´t be able to continue paying. The 2014 maintenance fee is being charged and I don´t want to pay it once I will not use it anymore. I need to know what to do. I live in Brazil and I need to know what can be done for them if I just let them know that I can´t continue paying. Please, helpe me!

Elieber M.
Feb 03, 2014

Make a few phone calls to your home resort and make sure you get in touch with someone the right department that handles cases like yours and explain your situation to them and ask them to take it back through a " deed back " . Let them know that it is beneficial for both of you to use the quit claim rather than an expensive court proceeding that will cost both parties a lot of money not to mention the loss of maintenace fees to them. Let's hope it works and please get back to us and let us how it worked out for you.

Don P.
Mar 03, 2014

Just read some Messages/replies how to cancle the Membership, but still haven't seen an answer, we're also in a Situation where we decided to get out, but how and what costs occuring? Thanks to get more Feedback. Martina

donp196 wrote:
Make a few phone calls to your home resort and make sure you get in touch with someone the right department that handles cases like yours and explain your situation to them and ask them to take it back through a " deed back " . Let them know that it is beneficial for both of you to use the quit claim rather than an expensive court proceeding that will cost both parties a lot of money not to mention the loss of maintenace fees to them. Let's hope it works and please get back to us and let us how it worked out for you.

Martina G.
Mar 03, 2014

I hope Elie gets back to us with a conclussion. It goes case by case but the one problem is it's easier to get a " deed back " if you own a deeded week. Points are a problem and have different rules and you are usually dealing with a big corporation rather than an individual resort. The best advice is to contact your home resort if you have one and ask for someone who handles ownerships and see where you stand.

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.