Point Systems

Marriott Vacation Club point system

Dec 04, 2016

stevenm317 wrote:
How much cheaper outside Marriott and where to buy points outside? Assume resale weeks dont get points but are very cheap

I would check resale websites such as E-Bay, Craigslist, My Resort Network, Timeshare Users Group (TUG), or even right here on RedWeek. That will tell you how much cheaper it would be. And even if you don't get points on a resale, the value of those points is probably far less than the $30,000 you are about to pay for them.

Before plopping down $30,000, do your research. Figure out what your vacation needs and desires are. Also, consider your financial situation (do you really have a spare $30,000 sitting in your pocket right now?). Besides, if a few months down the road you find that what these people offered you is a good deal, that deal will still be there despite what they might have told you (eg., "This deal is good for today only", "Scoop this up while it's red hot", "We've sold dozens of these just this week and we have a very limited number left", etc.).

Lance C.
Dec 04, 2016

Be Aware though Marriott has a hefty price for enrolling resold points into their system so unless you get them dirt cheap AND get over I think 3000 you will have a nasty time getting them fully usable in Marriotts system. You should call marriott and find out in detail what there current ReEnrolment fees are for Resale Trust Points. Last I remember each 250 points was a beneficial interest in the trust and for each block it was about $200 + Title Transfer and ROF Waiver of $120.00 so about $350 for each interest with a minimum of 3000 points Oh and then there is the owner training fee.. so at minimum you are looking at around $3000.00 + to enroll any points you buy second hand. Right now on RedWeek most points seem to be averaging around $4.50 per point.. So add the $1.00 per point to get them back into Marriott and you are at $5.50 per point..

This is somewhat speculation on the costs on my part as they could have gone up as Marriott is trying to protect their sellable interests from the resale market by imposing these fees.

The nice thing about the split offers is that you have both an actual land deed for a resort and then you do have the trust deeds.. Having that week enrolled gives you access to all options within Marriott and sometimes a much lower maintenance fee for the points enrolled through the week (just depends on what week you buy).

Also to answer the storm damage question.. I would assume that as with what happens at the resort level directly is that a special assessment would be levied to ALL trust point owners just as it would to all owners of that resort.. The Trust owners of course would see a lower per person assessment for damages because it is spread over more owners.

Brion S.
Dec 28, 2016

I am a MVC points owner and just returned from an Encore visit where I almost bought 2000 more points. In the end, I declined. I found this site and will return to buy points here instead. Makes sense and cents. Thanks for hosting!

Jill P.
Jan 02, 2017

I have 3500 points (which I purchased on a very good deal as resale in 2013) ...... I just purchased from Marriott a hybrid (2000 points and a week which is convertible to another 1950 points). The cost per point after all adjustments, promotions, etc was approx. $6.70 per point. If I were to buy the equivalent number of aggregate points on the resale market , assuming the transaction passed ROFR, I would be paying just about the same (as the going rate for resale points is +/- $4.50..... plus you need to add the $2 per point "transfer fee" MVCI charges"). While always skeptical of buying from MVCI directly, I did extensive research and do believe this is a fair deal. It gets us to Executive Level as well and Renting" points does not really fit my needs as I am interested in booking further out at times, and shorter stays including RC properties......

If somebody thinks otherwise about this deal (aside from the usual Marriott bashing), I would certainly like your input and feedback.

Exit P.
Jan 03, 2017

This is still my take on the Marriott System.

The cost of maintenance has approached $220 per day for point owners. The cost per year goes up over 2 times or more the inflation rate.

Using the points in Aruba, Hawaii, Newport or Marco Island gives you the best locations to me.

Even in prime locations you can find the good hotels that offer you even an efficiency kitchen. I understand if you have a family or a group of friends to put in the same villa then the timeshare use can be worthwhile.

With renting in Marco Island I can cancel sometimes up to 30 days in advance with minimal or no cost but try to change a Crystal Shores timeshare date even with several months in advance. Also I can fit in a decent airfare as with renting I can choose the dates.

Now for Aruba you need to book almost the first day the window becomes available or bank the points or perhaps go to Virginia for your Aruba Ocean Club exchange. Several years ago I rented through Marriott a Brekenridge Colorado timeshare for $103.00 per day. Think of the owners paying now $220.00 per day for maintenance.

I do like my two weeks timeshare which The Marriott Aruba Ocean Club is my base and most likely my only use as Marco Island is now impossible as open to the Trust members first.

Also add another $10.00 per day in Aruba for "governmental fees"

Michael B.
Jan 04, 2017

Sorry you feel this way, we have had nothing but great experiences since we converted our weeks and purchased additional destinations points. I guess it all comes down to perspective. As for me and my wife we choose Marriott.

Douglas P.
Jan 05, 2017

Good for you. Obviously, there are some of us who look hard at the value proposition and find the Marriott deal to be very expensive in relation to the alternatives. Certainly, this camp will be looking for a way to achieve the same level of enjoyment as you at a lower cost. Nothing wrong with either group, just different.

Would your perspective change if you could achieve exactly the same vacation for 25% of what you are paying through a Marriott buy? Some may still prefer the Marriott way and this is ok. Having taken both roads myself, I tell my successful children to take the lower cost option. There is no downside to me.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Jan 05, 2017 12:32 PM

Jan 16, 2017

I own 2 weeks in HH which we use but we also have 2500 points, how do ou rent points

Carolyn S.
Jan 16, 2017

what did they say was a bundle/ I've owned Marriott for many years and never hard that term

Carolyn S.
Jan 16, 2017

The fee is $2 per point with a $3000 minimum

brions3 wrote:
Be Aware though Marriott has a hefty price for enrolling resold points into their system so unless you get them dirt cheap AND get over I think 3000 you will have a nasty time getting them fully usable in Marriotts system. You should call marriott and find out in detail what there current ReEnrolment fees are for Resale Trust Points. Last I remember each 250 points was a beneficial interest in the trust and for each block it was about $200 + Title Transfer and ROF Waiver of $120.00 so about $350 for each interest with a minimum of 3000 points Oh and then there is the owner training fee.. so at minimum you are looking at around $3000.00 + to enroll any points you buy second hand. Right now on RedWeek most points seem to be averaging around $4.50 per point.. So add the $1.00 per point to get them back into Marriott and you are at $5.50 per point..

This is somewhat speculation on the costs on my part as they could have gone up as Marriott is trying to protect their sellable interests from the resale market by imposing these fees.

The nice thing about the split offers is that you have both an actual land deed for a resort and then you do have the trust deeds.. Having that week enrolled gives you access to all options within Marriott and sometimes a much lower maintenance fee for the points enrolled through the week (just depends on what week you buy).

Also to answer the storm damage question.. I would assume that as with what happens at the resort level directly is that a special assessment would be levied to ALL trust point owners just as it would to all owners of that resort.. The Trust owners of course would see a lower per person assessment for damages because it is spread over more owners.

Exit P.
Jan 16, 2017

Carolyn,

As long as your timeshare company allows you to sell weeks you have obtained with points, you would reserve a week and then post that week for rent.

If you need further assistance, please Contact Us.

Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Feb 14, 2017

I am a legacy owner at Marriott Frenchman's Cove. Can someone tell me if I decide sell my timeshare in the future, what will Marriott give you for your timeshare and what commission is charged?

Thomas J.
Feb 14, 2017

You would have to call and find out and see if they are accepting listings. They generally keep 40% selling price and about $500 in additional fees.

https://www.marriottvacationclub.com/resales/index.shtml

I don't Frenchman's Cove listed, which means either they have no resale weeks available for sale, or they are simply not listing them on their site, or due to local laws can't broker resales there. Again call to find out.

Tracey S.
Feb 15, 2017

I consider the Marriott presentations as an offset to having bought from them in the past, once. Over the past 15 years or so, I've probably received 400,000 rewards points for attending them. That's several thousand dollars of value there, probably at least $3,000 off of what I paid. You don't have to purchase anything, and I do not. The original deal I paid for really was not too bad with the incentives, and the way I used them, and, subtracting another $3,000, I've never regretted it. Cost comes out to maybe $5,000 that I paid, which I am sure is always too much, but not terribly bad at least. We've been all over the world with it, used the rewards points for airfare, etc. Probably been to 50% of the MVCI resorts with just one timeshare week (at one now). My lockoff has traded into Hawaii several times, Aruba, and many non Marriott resorts. Can it all be done for less? Probably, but, I would never have gone to all these places otherwise. Points are another matter, but, the so called legacy week I will always be glad I did get it.

Steve F.
May 27, 2017

Here is my problem with the point system. I have 750 carryover points to 2018. Just to add on to an Aruba trip I need to wait 10 months in advance and then hopefully find good airfare. Having stray points to me is almost like losing them. I will eventually find something that works. I certainly would not use my points for Absecon, New Jersey. Years ago I rented a Marriott timeshare in Brekenridge , CO. and paid $103.00. per night for three nights Memorial Day weekend. I even got a much better room since the rental they first gave me was with wet paint. With any hotel point system I can cancel up to 4:00 PM the sam arrival day at no cost to me. I had 1900 Marriott timeshare points to use in 2017 after I cancelled a timeshare use in Newport , CA. in November. I had to use the points by the end of 2017 or lose them. Now where can you go withing two months with not being a Platinum member. I tried and tried Craigs list, etc. and guess what? I lost the points ECH! I would not buy any more points and after I use a fifth encore vacation I will not buy anymore. Aruba is the place for me. Even Marco Island is now out as you don't know if you will receive a good view with four buildings.

Michael B.
May 30, 2017

It appears that being a legacy owner really has no value anymore. My wife and I have a ocean view week in Maui and a week at Newport Coast. we have platinum weeks. We usually have to trade into points and then get our week in the off season, like the 2nd week of Sept. Used to be we would call the year before and be able to book it. That is no longer the case.

Mike G.
May 30, 2017

I hear you

I'm glad that I have my two ocean view weeks for several years at the Ocean Clb Aruba.

After many years of using the two weeks or sometimes as points I would not mind going elsewhere. With $1,500 maintenance fees per week we start out at $215.00 per day. Any other Marriott Vacation Club timeshare other than Marco Island, Newport California and Maui I can easily rent for under $200.00 per day. Vegas I can do for even under $100.00 per day. With timeshares you are at the mercy of the airlines and their schedules, cancellations, pricing, etc. Maybe timeshares have past their glory days. Let's see what companies stay in the business in the next few years. Oh, how can I forget those assessments and governmental fees so really on an annualized basis the daily room charge is at least $225.00 per day.yeh, Marriott tells me that Aruba room charges start over $400.00 per day. Yes perhaps in the months o December through May which I cannot use anyway. I know that I can find weeks available sometimes at the Aruba Ocean club or Aruba surf club on Interval International for about $1,000 per week. That's less than maintenance and not subject to use it or lose it.

Michael B.
May 31, 2017

Well, not all properties are that way. Desert Springs in high season is always fully occupied, yet, as an owner, I have never in 17 years been unable to go there. While we are there, we arrange next years stay 12 months in advance. I certainly can't rent there in high season for $225/nt via any deal I have ever found. Just spent 4 weeks in Australia, rewards points for 2 tickets, 2 saved lockoffs for 2 weeks, a small number of MVCI points for gold coast, and, rewards points for cat8 in Melbourne and a few days staying with a friend. I usually find a wa7 to work it.

Steve F.
May 31, 2017

You use your points well What is your total maintenance costs including the redundant Interval International fees and any governmental , port changes etc I bet it may be over$5,000 which is a heck of a start for a few weeks vacation anywhere. Sure Desert Springs and Australia are better places to go but for me not 17 years in a row

Michael B.
Jun 01, 2017

We didn't get Desert Springs to go there 17 years in a row, that was not the goal or intent. It's just turned out we love to go there. However, we go many other places. We've been to Chile, Argentina, lots of Caribbean islands including Aruba, Australia, Hawaii (3 different islands), Spain, Mexico, many states, etc. All on our initial purchase of Desert Springs with lockoff and II, including a bunch of getaways. By simply checking every few days for trades, etc., we have been able to go many places than "were not possible". We were told, for example, we could not possibly have exchanged a lockoff for 2 BR MVCI at Ko-Olina, yet, we did. etc. The rewards points, we pile up via Marriott (and now Starwood) rewards cards, and, the initial 250K or so they gave us, and, by *always* attending the presentations any Marriott we go to to get more free points. So, maint for Desert Springs is or was around 1300, we have a small number of MVCI points (and will now be executive next year) which means II is mostly "free", I think we are paying just over 2K per year for all fees. We definitely get more than 2K value out of it. But YMMV. I think the more you put into it and "game" or use to your advantage the different pieces, the more you can get out of it. We're just that way. We have also recently purchased cheaply some MVCI destinations points from a person and got them past ROFR. Whether or not that turns out worth it, we will see, however, I've gone through the charts and there are so many inexpensive places we can go with those that we like, and, can use the trades to get into more expensive places and not use points.

Steve F.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.