General Discussion

Magens Point Resort

Nov 20, 2019

This is in addition to the previous assessment for 2019. They want another 979.00. Greetings from St Thomas!

We are happy to inform that renovations continue, that the resort is looking better than ever, and that for the moment we continue on schedule for partial reopening on January, 2020.

However, since our last communication, we have experienced cost overruns due to the damage being more extensive than thought. We are over $400,000 out of budget and renovations are not complete. This has happened as a result of unexpected repairs and work not covered in the insurance budget breakdown sent in May, 2019. Said unexpected repairs include but were not limited to:

Tearing down, replacing and retiling entire old bar floor; buying additional tile not contemplated in the first budget; redoing all upper deck drains; fixing upper pool cracks; replacing outdoor electrical and lighting; replacing security cameras; tearing down and rebuilding many balconies; replacing and retiling many floors, major generator repairs and parts; repair-plaster-resurface outer building walls; replacing ceiling dry walls for both rooms and restaurant; completing the last half of the pool tile; a month’s time of jackhammering and power washing out old pool concrete and diamond brite to prep upper pool for resurfacing and new diamond brite.

There is also the cost of contracted casual labor --carpenters, painters, tile installers-- at $175,499.00 since we began renovations in May. Add approximately another $60-70k in additional construction materials –lumber, tile, paint, scaffolds, concrete, grout and the like. Neither of these areas was projected in the first budget.

Before we go any further, we would like to say that these past two years since the storms have been difficult and stressful times for all of us: our staff, their families, friends, and the islands in general. Many friends and staff members lost their homes. Some lost dear ones. Pets were lost too.

As if it was not hard enough to adjust to the destruction that surrounded us, we had to live months without power, with limited supplies, with shortages of construction materials, of food items, of basic needs like ice and gas.

Many old businesses that we cherished did not reopen. Lots of of us still endure depression and PTSD, especially with so many power outages that remind us every day of the fragility of these islands, and the possibility of other storms. The road to reconstruction for those of us who were forced to endure the harsh realities of disaster has been tiring and long, and the awful memories of loss will forever live in our hearts and in our minds.

It has come to our attention that some members have been venting their displeasure at speed of recovery and costs at Viola. Viola is a long term staff member who cannot control the rebuilding and is not an active member of the rebuilding team. Please do not yell at Viola. Yelling, threatening lawsuits and making formal complaints only distract us from our recovery efforts. While the speed of recovery may seem slow, we are on target to reopen before the Marriott, Blue Beard Beach Club and other hotels. Our repairs are ahead of many homes and condominiums.

It takes approximately $150k a month to operate the resort. See attached breakdown. We cannot financially plan when members do not comply with their dues and obligations. But the good news is that in spite of the delinquencies of some we continue to survive, and have never given up, maintaining the fight and efforts to rebuild.

At the moment, we continue to work online reservations with unowned inventory, but the reality is that the hotel can’t accommodate guests while reconstruction is going on. We do not have anywhere else to obtain additional construction revenue until we open for business in January, especially since we graciously granted a credit of much needed maintenance fees to those who complied with the 2018 obligations.

As much as we regret this, we must assess again, hopefully for the last time in a long while. As a reminder, our contract establishes that: "In the event that the insurance proceeds are insufficient to repair such damage… the club may assess members on a pro-rata basis for said deficit." Given all of the above, we are truly sorry that we have no alternative but to assess our members to cover this unfunded common expense in order to keep our doors open until the resort gets back on its feet.

THIS REBUILDING ASSESSMENT OF $979.00 PER OWNED WEEK IS DUE AND PAYABLE UPON RECEIPT OF THIS NOTIFICATION.

For those of you still lagging behind, we ask that you please become current. You will be placed in collection and your time will be forfeited if you do not become current, and you will not be able to use, bank or exchange your weeks unless you become current.

If you want out of your contract, remember that your account must be current and your dues paid up, assessments included. contact Viola at 340-777-6000 or viola@flamboyanresortvi.com.

When we put together our budget in May, we in good faith thought that said budget would carry us through to complete construction. Due to additional damages not foreseen until reconstruction began as enumerated above, this was not the case.

But on a positive note, we have no doubt that you will love the new look, and that you will be happy to return to your home away from home soon enough. Please refer to attached video and pics of rooms, and check our new website, fbrvi.com, to see our progress story on November 21.

Looking forward to seeing you all in 2020.

Sincerely, Michael and Mercedes Shelby

Laurie
Dec 30, 2019

This came today To those of you who did not comply with your financial obligations to the resort, be reminded that you will NOT be able to use or trade your unit week (s) for 2020 if on the Magens Bay Villas side, or for 2021 if on the Tropic Leisure Club group.

Do not show up. We will not accommodate you. No exceptions will be made.

Do not rent your week unit out unless your account is current. We will not check in any renters unless your accounts are up to date.

If your account is not current by March 1, 2020, you will be placed in default and sent out to a collection agency. Please pay your dues immediately to avoid affecting your credit.

We will not continue to make exceptions for our membership. We ALL have financial realities to deal with, and the resort has much suffered from years of constant club member delinquencies. The resort MUST run like a business from now on. We have been lenient long enough.

If you feel that the resort no longer serves your needs, do not engage in more discussions that lead nowhere. Contact Viola (remember to be polite) to see about terminating your contract. Be reminded that you can only terminate your contract if your account is current.

Sincerely, The Management

Laurie
Jan 08, 2020

I got the first email but did not get this new one. When did you receive it? We are owners there too. Unfortunately.

Denise D.
Jan 29, 2020

I'm already on the list and have filed the complaints.. I'm curious if there is anything new happening .

Laurie
Feb 11, 2020

Latest from the Shelby's:

Happy New Year! We hope the holidays have been joyous for all and look forward to a happy and prosperous 2020.

We are welcoming our first guests this week. Not all the villas have been fully restored as a result of the lingering member delinquent account situation. At present, we still have a significant amount out in delinquent accounts. The situation must be corrected now for us to do any meaningful planning and budgeting.

As we already mentioned earlier, we are moving forward to correcting the delinquency situation by defaulting non-paying members, turning over the accounts to professional collection agencies while seeking adjudication in the VI Superior Court. Members will be responsible for all collection costs. If a judgement is rendered in VI Superior Court in favor of the club, the account will be transferred to the state where the member resides and enforced. If this transpires, a member’s credit, bank accounts and assets may be attached. If carried to the end result, it can negatively impact the members credit and add significant additional legal and other costs to the debt.

We would like to avoid the necessity of using outside professional collections agencies and pursuing the matter in court. So, in a final attempt to make these collections less painful to all parties concerned, either pay what is owed by March 15, 2020 or contact us to see what we can work out. If you are unable to pay the full amount, we can work out an automatic payment plan that will bring your account current. It is not worth the additional fees and negative impact to your credit to let the situation continue. We are willing to work with our members to find an acceptable solution. However, in this matter, time is of the essence and delay will only worsen the problem..

If members are willing to work with us, together we can find solutions. Please contact Viola Morton at 340-777-6000 ext. 508 or viola@flamboyanresortvi.com to see what is possible. A non-response is not acceptable. Please be advised that if all dues are brought current by March 15, 2020 or an alternate plan accepted by the club, we will pursue all legal means immediately to collect the FULL amounts owed.

This will be our last reminder.

Sincerely, Michael and Mercedes Shelby and Staff

Laurie
Feb 11, 2020

This one came on December 30,2019. I posted a newer one today 2/11/2019 that just came. We filed the formal complaints against the resort. We have owned for many years and have paid numerous (one time special assessments.) We always paid our fees promptly but enough is enough.

Laurie
Feb 16, 2020

Our newest email:

Greetings from St. Thomas!

Hello Tropic Leisure Club members, we hope that the new year is treating you well and everyone is staying healthy this flu season.

We are welcoming our first guests this week. Not all the villas have been fully restored as a result of the lingering member delinquent account situation.  At present, we still have a significant amount out in delinquent accounts.  The situation must be corrected now for us to do any meaningful planning and budgeting.

As we already mentioned earlier, we are moving forward to correcting the delinquency situation by defaulting non-paying members, turning over the accounts to professional collection agencies while seeking adjudication in the VI Superior Court.  Members will be responsible for all collection costs.  If a judgement is rendered in VI Superior Court in favor of the club, the account will be transferred to the state where the member resides and enforced. If this transpires, a member’s credit, bank accounts and assets may be attached.  If carried to the end result, it can negatively impact the members credit and add significant additional legal and other costs to the debt.

We would like to avoid the necessity of using outside professional collections agencies and pursuing the matter in court.  So, in a final attempt to make these collections less painful to all parties concerned, either pay what is owed by March 15, 2020 or contact us to see what we can work out.  If you are unable to pay the full amount, we can work out an automatic payment plan that will bring your account current.  It is not worth the additional fees and negative impact to your credit to let the situation continue. We are willing to work with our members to find an acceptable solution. However, in this matter, time is of the essence and delay will only worsen the problem..

If members are willing to work with us, together we can find solutions.  Please contact Viola Morton at 340-777-6000 ext. 508 or viola@flamboyanresortvi.com to see what is possible. A non-response is not acceptable. Please be advised that if all dues are brought current by March 15, 2020 or an alternate plan accepted by the club, we will pursue all legal means immediately to collect the FULL amounts owed.

This will be our last reminder.

Sincerely, Michael and Mercedes Shelby and Staff

Denise D.
Jun 16, 2020

The other day I got a bill from Magens asking for a hurricane special assessment (492 dollars) A rebuilding assessment(979.00) . Today I got a letter saying that the building still lacks a roof. They haven't tried to collect for that yet but I'm sure it's coming. They have been promising to reopen but now say it will be delayed until 2021.

Laurie
Jul 22, 2020

Wondering if anyone has successfully gotten out of Magens point timeshare. My husband and i stopped paying after Irma. Just got a bill for 5400. This felt like a scam from the beginning. (2003) Help

Barbara

Barbara M.
Jul 22, 2020

Where do you file complaints, i am new to this forum Barbara I

Barbara M.
Jul 22, 2020

Has anyone successfully gotten out of this?

Barbara M.
Jul 24, 2020

hi add me in your list BluestacksOmegleCanlimacizle

Roma R.

Last edited by romar4 on Jul 26, 2020 01:17 PM

Jul 24, 2020

File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. The website is FTV.gov. Look for: file a complaint, click “other” option, Page 2 of “other option “ offers a selection for timeshare sells. Click this one and file.

Laurie
Jul 24, 2020

Read back on this and you will find the people to contact. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. The website is FTV.gov. Look for: file a complaint, click “other” option, Page 2 of “other option “ offers a selection for timeshare sells. Click this one and file.

Laurie
Jul 26, 2020

Ok, emailed the O'Neil email, filed complaint with FTC, and the Virgin islands licensing. I am on the group email list now. I was negotiating with Viola to get out of this. When i asked her to put everything in writing/contract form so my attorney could review it she said they don't deal with attorneys and shut down the negotiations. That sent alarm bells off because, aside from buying this fraud ridden timeshare, i would never enter into a contract without having an attorney review it. It only confirmed how much of a con artist the Shelby's are..

Barbara M.

Last edited by barbaram1162 on Jul 26, 2020 04:28 AM

Jan 03, 2021

Anyone heard anything??? What is going on with this resort?

Denise D.
Jan 17, 2021

Add me to your email group.

Jennie Miller
Apr 13, 2021

Please add me to your list, they are trying to scam me again telling me they will take me to court for not paying my fees.

Rose G.

Last edited by phyl21 on Apr 13, 2021 07:02 PM

Apr 17, 2021

Is anything new with this resort? I have filed all the formal complaints against them. They are now claiming they are successful in legally obtaining judgements against members. Since everything I've heard from them in years is a lie I don't really believe it.

Laurie
Apr 17, 2021

File a complaint with the DLCAt on their website https://secure.dlca.vi.gov//Asps/complaint/AddComplaint.aspx?BusseqAnd also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. The website is FTV.gov. Look for: file a complaint, click “other” option, Page 2 of “other option “ offers a selection for timeshare sells. Click this one and file. Complaints in large numbers make a difference

Laurie

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.