Ask RedWeek

How to buy a week from someone?

Jun 02, 2014

My boss has a week in Cabo that he said him and his wife had to either sell or use but were most likely going to sell. He's still waiting to see what the wife wants to do but if they decide to sell it I could buy it from them.

He said the only problem being that they're RCI members and you have to be an RCI member to trade. I don't see how that would work if you don't have to be an RCI member on here to buy a week.

So i guess my question would be if he decides to sell the week, how can I buy it and book the room?

Kevin H.
Jun 02, 2014

Don't buy it unless you want to commit yourself to a lifetime of ever increasing maintenance fees and assessments. Look around the forums and you will see people trying to give them away just to get out from under the fees. You can rent them for less than the owners pay in maintenance fees so why would you obligate yourself to paying fees down the road when you life changes for some reason and now you're stuck with them

Don P.
Jun 02, 2014

You have to be an RCI member to exchange the week for somewhere else. If you only want to go to your home resort you do not need to belong to an exchange company. Most timeshares aren't worth anything or are worth very little. What a person pays to buy a resort from a developer has almost nothing to do with its resale value. This is especially true when you can rent a week for the same or less than the cost of MF's. Before committing to buy you should know what you are getting yourself into and do some research. Posting here was a good first step.

Tracey S.
Jun 03, 2014

Sorry to clarify it would be renting the week. He just couldn't use it this year so they needed to get rid if it. He said I would just have to pay the MFs. I am not going to buy a timeshare.

I contacted RCI and they said any deposited or confirmed weeks cannot be sold to a third party

Kevin H.
Jun 03, 2014

kevinh441 wrote:
I contacted RCI and they said any deposited or confirmed weeks cannot be sold to a third party

So if your boss deposited the week, then it belongs to RCI. He no longer has any control over it.

If he hasn't deposited it yet, then he is free to do what he wants with it including renting it out to you.

If you do take him up on his offer to rent it from him, just be careful when staying at resorts in Mexico as they are notorious for roping people into those oft-hated presentations.

Lance C.

Last edited by lancec13 on Jun 03, 2014 08:31 AM

Jun 04, 2014

Yeah we stayed at the sister resort last July and my parents did the presentation while we chilled at the pool. We're not old enough to do the presentation so that's no problem.

Kevin H.
Jun 05, 2014

While he can't sell his week to you he can gift it to you and it would be up to the two of you how you would repay his generosity. The kind of activity that would get someone in trouble would be actively advertising the selling of exchanges on public forums and advertising sites especially to people not known to the RCI member.

You generally have to be over 21 to check in to a resort with a guest certificate.

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.