Ask RedWeek

Using Pay Pal when renting timeshare?

Jul 21, 2014

I am not sure how Pay Pal works when renting your timeshare. Do both parties need to be members of PayPal to exchange fees or can it just be the owner?

Carol E.
Jul 21, 2014

yes, both parties need to be members. If there is a dispute about the rental you can use pay pal to mediate. It's a secure way to handle the transaction without adding the expense of an eascrow comapny.

Don P.
Jul 21, 2014

Pay Pal won't mediate on a real estate or non tangible goods like avrental. They will always side with the buyer or renter and not the owner. They will reverse the charges even if you have a signed contract that states the fees are non refundable.

While it is convenient for the seller/ owner, they receive no protection by using paypal and can have the fees reversed even after the rental is completed if it falls within the time to open a dispute. If this happens the owner's only recourse would be to take the buyer/renter to court to recover the fees. Technically according to palpal policies neither party is protected when renting or selling non tangible goods like services or real estate but in practice they refuse to get involved completely with the dispute or even look at any contract or agreement documentation and simply reverse the charges.

Tracey S.
Jul 22, 2014

Thank you for your thorough reply...even if I don't like it! That being said, what is the best way for one to collect his/her rent from a renter? A check can bounce and the leasor is stuck with fees from the bounced check; let alone not getting his/her rent! Charge card: renter can cancel the transaction if they like. I have not done this before, therefore I am open to an experts suggestions.

tracey75 wrote:
Pay Pal won't mediate on a real estate or non tangible goods like avrental. They will always side with the buyer or renter and not the owner. They will reverse the charges even if you have a signed contract that states the fees are non refundable.

While it is convenient for the seller/ owner, they receive no protection by using paypal and can have the fees reversed even after the rental is completed if it falls within the time to open a dispute. If this happens the owner's only recourse would be to take the buyer/renter to court to recover the fees. Technically according to palpal policies neither party is protected when renting or selling non tangible goods like services or real estate but in practice they refuse to get involved completely with the dispute or even look at any contract or agreement documentation and simply reverse the charges.

Carol E.
Jul 24, 2014

First, there should be a rental agreement in place by you stipulating the terms of the rental and signed by both you and the renter .... you can find sample rental agreements by 'searching forums', but you can word it anyway you wish. As far as how the deposit and balance is paid that is up to you whether by personal check, cashiers check, credit card, traveler's check etc.

R P.
Mar 14, 2018

Can I cancel my timeshare that I rented from someone in the first 24 hours. Using PayPal?

Holly C.
Mar 14, 2018

Contact the person and paypal and ask .

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.