General Discussion

Timeshare Rentals - Risk of Damage to Unit and Protections

Jul 24, 2014

I have never had any problem with damage to a timeshare unit by a renter. However, I believe this risk exists.

Does anyone have insurance or another means of capping, reducing or eliminating this risk? Would the resort charge the guest for the damage using the credit card on file? Has anyone ever had a problem with such damage?

Another thought - If an agency rents out the unit, taking a commission, selecting the tenant, billing the tenant, etc, do they take on this risk?

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Jul 24, 2014 01:13 PM

Jul 25, 2014

Senior citizens sometimes talk to themselves so here goes -

I'm starting to think that damage to a unit, while a possibility, is rare and unlikely. I talked to a rental agency and did find that they take no liability for this and this is understandable. The resort does take a credit card at the time of the reservation which could be accessed for damages.

I did call Marriott Vacation Club and was advised that they assume this risk when a unit is turned over to them for rent.

Den
Jul 25, 2014

Most resorts put a hold instead of an actual charge. A few make an actual charge that is refunded. Even rarer are resorts that do neither. In general the resort will hold the person occuping the unit responsible to the extent that it is easy for them to do so. I have heard stories of a renter using a stolen card at check in and not only doing a modest amount of damage but also charging more than a modest amount (at the adjoining restaurant, bar, and spa. This was the same cc that was used through paypal for a last minute rental. So not only did the owner not got paid but also the ts resort came after the owner for an additional $2000 plus in damages and charges. I think that was a rare case but the risk is still there.

Tracey S.
Aug 31, 2014

I have a clause in my TS Rental Contract that they must present a valid credit card at check in and they will be held responsible for any and all damage(s) to the villa TS; and cannot hold any employee or the owner(s) responsible for any loss or theft, liable for any claims/suits/damage/loss of expenses, injuries to person(s) or property occurring on the premises while renting. I also mention some of the TS rules (e.g. if it is non-smoking, check-in/out time, etc.)

I also insist on speaking with the potential renter prior to any transaction so that I get a better "feel" for the person which you can't get via email. When in doubt, ask for a copy of their driver's license with the Contract as well. I've been a landlord for over 30 years, so I'm comfortable screening people and not afraid to say no to people I don't feel comfortable with.

I've never had a problem, and am willing to supply potential renters the email of former renters willing to give feedback on their rental experience I offered them if that makes them feel more comfortable. Usually after talking to me on the phone, they feel comfortable, but I always put that option out there for them and keep them up to date and in contact with them throughout the rental process.

Getting a good renter is the key to not getting damage to your TS as well as a signed Contract that both parties have. Good communication is also essential up to the day they leave and checking in after their vacation for feedback on their experience.

Karen D.
Oct 23, 2014

kcdl508 wrote:
I have a clause in my TS Rental Contract that they must present a valid credit card at check in and they will be held responsible for any and all damage(s) to the villa TS; and cannot hold any employee or the owner(s) responsible for any loss or theft, liable for any claims/suits/damage/loss of expenses, injuries to person(s) or property occurring on the premises while renting. I also mention some of the TS rules (e.g. if it is non-smoking, check-in/out time, etc.)

I also insist on speaking with the potential renter prior to any transaction so that I get a better "feel" for the person which you can't get via email. When in doubt, ask for a copy of their driver's license with the Contract as well. I've been a landlord for over 30 years, so I'm comfortable screening people and not afraid to say no to people I don't feel comfortable with.

I've never had a problem, and am willing to supply potential renters the email of former renters willing to give feedback on their rental experience I offered them if that makes them feel more comfortable. Usually after talking to me on the phone, they feel comfortable, but I always put that option out there for them and keep them up to date and in contact with them throughout the rental process.

Getting a good renter is the key to not getting damage to your TS as well as a signed Contract that both parties have. Good communication is also essential up to the day they leave and checking in after their vacation for feedback on their experience.

Your contract is very detailed, but in the end the owner is responsible for any damage to a unit if a renter declines to accept responsibility even though a copy of a renter's credit card is always printed by the check-in staff.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Oct 23, 2014 08:56 AM

Jan 05, 2015

Is there a "standard" TS Rental Contract that is available anywhere? what is commonly used for this transactions.

thanks in advance!

Barbara K.
Jan 06, 2015

Barbara,

You will find a sample RedWeek rental contract on the following page: Rental Agreement

If you have other questions or need assistance, please contact us at RedWeek Customer Service: Contact Us

Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.