Hanalei Bay Resort

Hanalei Bay Resort is a sham. don't go there

Dec 31, 2014

We have sadly owned timeshares at Hanalei Resort since 2004. We have never been able to trade out either through Interval International or Trading Places. The resort is in deplorable condition since Celebrity lost ownership to the AOAO. What is the most revealing is that Dick Sweikart and David Nichol and their wives have moved around the BoD and never leave the Executive Board. They are the ones who chose for the rest of us to pay for all the assessments through the years. Each year we have paid additional assessments in mid year for property that is in bad shape. the restaurant burned in 2012 and has not been rebuilt despite the building being insured. The lounge bar isn't open and the staff could not care less. Each person we speak to will not tell us what true prognosis is for the restoration of the amenities that guests would like to use such as the restaurant or the lounge. And we have questioned to no avail what the AOAO has had to pay vs. the timeshare owners in terms of assessments through the years. The first places renovated were the actual resort owners. We are still being ripped off as the value according to timeshare resale value is approx 1,500-2,000 dollars per unit. What a shame. in 2004 we paid 15,000 dollars cash for the every year unit and a multitude of additional assessments per year for a place that is valued as a SALE for 1,900 dollars. What a rip off. Our every other year unit was 7,500 cash. We hold onto it because no one wants to buy into such a pile. I was advised to continue to hold on to the ownership because it was such a loss for us and is NOT tax deductible.. basically just a toilet that thousands have been poured into over the years. The truth is that Hanalei has the best views on the island of KAUAI for the worst managed and biggest folly on the island.WHAT a sad shame and this resort gives all timeshare properties a horrible name. Looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor comment that are positive are made on days that timeshares are not checking in or out. PReetty obviously these are reviews by employees or friends of DICK and DAVE. I wont believe anything will change until they leave the board. I am continually left wondering how they sleep at night knowing what they are responsible for vis a vis the timeshare owners. I can't even get an answer as to how many people are still owners of this resort as timeshare owners. No one provides a phone list so we can communicate. Pathetic

Nancy P.
Oct 09, 2015

Just got back from HBR(Sept. 2015) and it has been beautifully renovated! The tennis courts have all been repaired and look amazing! The units have been redone with new cabinets, flooring, showers, and furnishings! They are currently(really!) working on the restaurant and bar and saying they will be open by the end of 2015. I would pad that to 1st quarter 2016 to be safe though!! If you haven't been in the last 6 months you will be amazed. I agree the resort units had been run down and were a mess, but are now amazing! Hopefully you will visit again and give it another chance!

Mary W.
Mar 30, 2016

Obviously this thread is very old so I thought I would update this person who complained so much. 1. The management company is now Grand Pacific Resorts and they are doing a good job of managing both the private rentals and timeshares 2. The lobby/offices/fitness center have been open and remodeled for 2 years and the lobby just won a major award 3. A pool bar is almost complete and should be open by May 4. A fire pit has been added for resort owners and guests to enjoy 5. The Vacation Owners have done a great job of managing the funds and renting out unused condos and their finances are in very good shape thanks to some of the board members mentioned in the original comment 6. Happy Talk opened a month ago (its not owned by the resort) and the restaurant will follow sometime this summer perhaps 7. The tennis courts went through a massive reburishing including adding 4 artificial turf courts and a new pro is on site and doing great with lessons and clinics 8. The timeshare renovations were completed a few years ago but do updates every year. New mirrors in the kitchen are being added right now.

Joan B.
Feb 05, 2017

Bought last year and we love the resort. We were here last year for three weeks and this year for three. The grounds are lush and spotless and the views? Spectacular.

Suzie S.
Feb 26, 2021

I will also update this old post above since it is from 2014.

We have owned for over 16 years at HBR. Although the resort went through a "rough patch" several years ago, it is now in fantastic shape. The entire resort has been completely renovated inside and out, as well as the pools. As the poster above stated, it is being managed very well now and went through major renovations the last few years. The grounds and views are stunning. It keeps getting better and better. You can't get a more spectacular view. They have also remodeled and added a great swim-up pool bar. We are so glad we weathered the storm. It is a true gem and a great value.

As far as not being able to trade from HBR, we have had no problem trading our unit. We have traded to several Marriott properties in the Caribbean, specifically Aruba, and also to St. Martin, St. Thomas and Cabo and other U.S. locations through Interval. We get several bonus Accommodation Certificates every year and have used them yearly to go to Aruba Marriotts for the last 4 years.

Lisa T.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.