Ask RedWeek

REFUND OF DEPOSIT for a time share rental

Aug 30, 2015

When a party rents a timeshare what is the suggested policy regarding refunding the down payment?

Harriett R.
Aug 31, 2015

Most owners require the renter to pay the amount in full via Pay Pal and suggest that, if the renter feels he might need to back out before going on the trip, he buy cancellation insurance.

Lance C.
Sep 02, 2015

What is the recommended & most economical Co. for contracting a cancellation insurance. Thank you

Michael S.
Sep 02, 2015

I've owned a timeshare outright for over 20 years and the maintenance fees are increasing badly every year. my question is, thru your services I have contacted a attorney who wants to charge a $950 fee to have me released from my timeshare and fees. does this make any sense, or should I be aware.

William F.
Sep 02, 2015

While you certainly have an important question, my question is Why are you posting this in a thread entitled "REFUND OF DEPOSIT for a time share rental"?

Anyway, to answer your question, this offer does seem suspect to me. Is this a registered legal attorney?

The only thing that might make sense of this is that, for $950, your attorney is likely going to negotiate with the resort's Homeowners' Association (HOA) to take the deed back. That's something you can do yourself. Have you tried contacting the HOA to see if it will take your unit back? Have you tried listing your unit for sale on various timeshare websites saying that this is a free giveaway and then offer to pay closing costs (much less than $950)?

Frankly, I would ask this attorney to explain in detail what how he intends "to have [you] released from [your] timeshare and fees". For instance, who will be the new owner? How does your attorney intend to get this party to be the new owner? Will this new owner continue to pay maintenance fees?

Lance C.
Sep 02, 2015

Attorney and paralegal services are a new scam in the timeshare industry. They claim to be able to get you out of your contract and all they want is your upfront money. Check to see if the " attorney " actually has an office that someone can walk into and see for themselves. Check on line with the bar association in the state they claim they are licensed Anyone can claim to be what ever they want on the internet and set up a website and use a drop box as an address. Don't be victimized by a scam. Do your homework. Don't give anyone a penny until you verify they are actually an attorney and even then it's questionable if they can get you out of your contract. Try what Lance suggested. I got rid of two timeshares that way in 2011. It was inexpensive and I dealt directly with the resort.

Don P.
Sep 03, 2015

I don't know if I am out of bounds in asking this, but the attorney that has been emailing me regarding the assistance in negotiating a return, release, cancellation and termination of any future financial obligations is Mitchell Reed Sussman &Assoc. out of San Diego. He wants me to pay up from and in full. I am hesitant.

William F.
Sep 03, 2015

Do your homework and find out if he has an actual office or just a website and postal drop box. You can check him out on Google and other sites. Check the bar association in California and ask for his record and his license number and address of his office. If you do decide to give him your hard earned money on a promise ask him to guarantee his results in writing with a money back provision if he fails to get you out of your contract. If he refuses then don't pay him a penny. It's your money. NEVER pay anyone money upfront to get you out of your contract.

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.