Point Systems

Point Allotment/Banked Points

Feb 23, 2016

I am new to researching Time Shares. What is the difference in Point Allotment of 1,750 points and Banked Points of 3,500 points? Does that mean that the seller has used 1,750 points of 3,500 available points?

Wendy K.
Mar 09, 2016

I'd ask them direct. Banked points are what you rolled over from last year. Look at the bank by dates to see the percentage you can bank of your current year points into next year. It starts at 100% by a certain date then the percentage reduces the next month, etc., and there is a date that is established that you can't bank any points into the next year. Allotted points sounds simply like the current points you have for the current year. You should also be able to see on the web site a list of the points you've used, where and when.

Current year points are nice. I'm a Silver member and can use current year points towards hotels, air fare, experiences and I think cruises see web site. Silver members, not sure about other levels, have up till the end of May to use points to book these non resort items. There are some minor fees attached. I just did this for the Marriott in Pompano Beach and it worked out really well. My charge card paid for the room over the phone with the DRI Travel Agent. After the reservation went through at the hotel, DRI sent me a check reimbursing me for the points I used. There was a wonderful selection of Hotels on their web site, too.

Now that I've used my current 2016 points, I still have my banked points that upon request, Diamond rolled over from last year. Those points can only be used for DRI properties. That is fine because there are a lot of good ones to choose from. Not sure if the banked points can be used at Interval properties.

Memberships higher than Silver, get more perks. Not sure if both Gold and Platinum members get to use points to pay maintenance, but one of those levels if not both, do. If you're one of these, please ask them direct. Silver used to be able to use points to pay maintenance but that was eliminated in 2015. The phone representatives are really good and will give you many helpful tips about points.

Jan B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.