Ask RedWeek

Question on buying a timeshare DVC, costs and missing anything??

May 19, 2016

I am looking into possibly purchasing a timeshare (resale) from one of the DVC owners.. still narrowing down our home location.

I have some questions..

1. Can you please help me with the math..

If the property is a RTU thru 2040 and it can be used starting next year, cost is 15,000 and 1,000 for maintenance each year (as of this year)

If Disney is charging roughly 300.00/night for this unit size:

if going to Disney to vacation per 24 years of use * (7 nights x 300.00) = $50,400.00

Buying resale: $15,000 * (24 * 1000)= $39,000 (plus fees to purchase with mediator, etc)

Am I missing anything?

Also, the place is in Floating (High Season).. does that mean we can use any week of the year?

What is the Disney vacation points... do we need to worry about those since I do not see anything in the post regarding points?

Any help would be appreciated!

Charles S.
May 21, 2016

Is this too complicated or just nobody around here?

Charles S.
May 22, 2016

I would recomend TUG2.com for finding out info about timesharing. Start here @ the bbs section you will get your answers your looking for. Will be more involved than Redweeks forum

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=54

If it were me I'd rent vs owning knowing what I know now. I do not own DVC. I am educating myself right now by following threads like this constantly.

Do some research on TUG so if you do buy , you will have made a planned out decision.

That money you are talking about would buy you 15 + years of vacations without any other responsibility. The most costly weeks to rent will also be the hardest weeks to trade into.

Dave

Last edited by davidg1131 on May 22, 2016 08:37 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.