General Discussion

Ovation program- Wyndham

Aug 24, 2016

How does a Canadian proceed when you receive paperwork after due date plus no response from US Embassy re process/instructions on how to complete authentication and legalization process

Faye S.
Aug 25, 2016

Has a Canadian had any experience in trying to dispose of Wyndham timeshare thru the Ovation program

Faye S.
Aug 25, 2016

I believe the program is open to all owners that qualify. Contact Wyndham and see what they say. The answer is just a phone call away.

Don P.
Aug 27, 2016

Have already discussed with Wyndham - procedure is different for out of country owners. Need to deal with US embassy/consulate in country you live to have paperwork notarized - they do not return phone calls re this subject and I live 200 miles away from closest location. Would appear Wyndham do not accept notarized paperwork from a lawyer or anyone else. This was not required to purchase. Any more suggestions?

Faye S.
Aug 27, 2016

Try as hard as you can to comply with the directions. In the long run it will be worth the effort to be rid of your future maintenance fees. Ask family members and friends if they can help you file the paperwork. One suggestion is to call your local politicians and them if they can help you cut through the red tape. Good luck

Don P.
Aug 27, 2016

Basically you are giving away a deeded US timeshare. Wyndham does make the rules for Ovation but it doesn't make the rules about the property transfer. Deeded property transfer has to follow specific procedures usually dictated by local county laws. You would have to jump through the same hoops selling or giving your timeshare away to anyone. Buying requires no hoops for Canadians, selling does. That's unfortunately the way US property laws work. If you want out you will need to comply.

Wyndham is selling points through Access which is more a membership that allows access to a trust rather than deeded property. If you have that then the deeded transfer would not apply.

Tracey S.
Aug 28, 2016

The timeshare in question is a deeded property located in the State of Florida. Have sold property in Florida in past (not timeshare) and did not require the US Embassy/Consulate in Canada to approve notarization. Am sure there are other Canadians experiencing the same problem I have. I took the paperwork in question to a lawyer who has been trying to communicate with the Consulate to no avail.

Faye S.
Aug 28, 2016

Patience......it could take time.....keep pressing the attorney to do his job.

Don P.
Aug 29, 2016

We found it much easier to get documents notarized in the US, than in Canada, for timeshare transactions. Most US banks provide a notary service, for $5-$10, and then just mail your documents by US Post to Wyndham. We have made an online appointment to use the notary in the US Consulate in Toronto before and the process was slow & expensive. It is impossible to get through by phone to talk to any consular official. Much easier to cross the border and go to a bank. Take your passport to provide the notary public with photo ID.

Gabe K.

Last edited by gabek3 on Aug 29, 2016 06:53 AM

Aug 29, 2016

Just spoke with Wyndham again. Their suggestion is for me to go to the US and have notarization done. You are correct re your suggestion of having same done in a bank. Unfortunately, I don't know when I may have the opportunity to travel. Thks for your advice. Do you know if someone can do this for me if they have my documentation.

Faye S.
Aug 29, 2016

Faye that's a small price to pay to get out of your maintenance fees forever. Find a way to get it done and you can sit back knowing that it's behind you.

Don P.
Aug 30, 2016

Notaries require that the person signing is present as the function of the notary is to witness the signature.

Tracey S.
Jan 23, 2017

For the Canadians who are concerned about Ovation. 1 It works providing you have paid the place in full. 2Fees are paid up to date 3 Make sure you have all you info in 4They won't deal by email. 5They want to talk to you on the phone make sure someone else is listening to phone exchange. 6 if you qualify they will send you necessary papers you need to fill out within a timely matter. 7 Find the closest American Consulate to where you live make an appointment. If you live in Edmonton it's Calgary so take a day to get there.That's the only consulted in Alberta. It's has to be there it can not be done with Canadian Notary Publics. 8 if you qualify it will work so it's worth jumping through the hoops for your peace of. mind. 9 But your peace of mind is giving it back, you loose the money you invested in there. your only gain is the few times you were able to use it and get what you wanted. It doesn't come with apology for all the hounding and harassment they put you through on every time you used it.

Paulette A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.