Comments

ask-redweek-get-rid-of-my-timeshare

Apr 10, 2018

I am a timeshare owner with a deeded week. This timeshare was given to me by a parent free and clear. I have used this timeshare 1 time out of the 12 years I have owned it. I have asked the company, Americano Beach Resort, if I can relinquish the timeshare and give it back to them and they said they don’t take them back. They were hit by an hurricane last year and have yet to reopen. I received a bill for a “special assessment” because insurance is not paying enough toward repairs. Two years ago they rewrote their bylaws and change their rules, which no owners have control over. This is forever a money pit which seems no easy affordable way out without ruining my credit which I have worked so hard for. It is such a shame that a company has such a forever financial hold on you. I can’t afford to hire an attorney and if I did know there are no guarantees. I do not want to leave this financial burden for my children as their rules/bylaws say whoever inherits your estate I here it’s the timeshare and debt. The company sent a survey to owners asking who would be willing to pay for the assessment fees and who would rather do away with the timeshare and 65% said they wanted to do away with the timeshare. I’m not sure what kind of recourse the owners have against this company and would appreciate any help or advice. Please respond.

Penny C.
Jul 16, 2018

If I want to get rid of my timeshares from Wyndham thru their ovation program do they charge any fees at all like the transfer. I am afraid of asking them because not sure if I want to get rid of them Also I had a fixed week andbought another wyndham and they rolled the fixed week into points with the new purchase so do I have one contract or two contracts. I am just wondering what would it cost if wyndham would take my timeshares back

Mary B.

Last edited by on Jul 16, 2018 09:50 PM

Aug 20, 2018

Do you have a template for a letter to send to our timeshare companies to ask them if they have a sales or buy back option? I understand that Redweek recommends that as step one in getting out of a time share. I'd like to make sure that I make all the relevant arguments during the communication.

Thanks,

coomkeen1160@gmail.com

Maureen D.
Sep 20, 2018

horrible experience working with timeshare exit team.....I had paid 4k twice just to get nothing done for almost 2 years..communication was a zero...

Seth B.

Last edited by phyl21 on Sep 20, 2018 05:48 AM

Oct 18, 2018

in my case , i used the guys at mytimeshareliquidate.com They were quick and responsive

Seth B.

Last edited by on Oct 18, 2018 03:01 PM

Nov 16, 2018

My Sunbay (Hot Sorings,AR) timeshare has been very poorly maintained over the ten or so years we have owned it. Meanwhile the maintenance fees have continued to rise including a special assessment this year. When we go there, the place is nearly empty even though part of it is a retained by the owner for nightly rentals. It is located on the shoreline of a beautiful lake and all units have lake views. But the maintenance issues have lately had us sharing our unit with a maintenance man who “sticks a thumb in the dike” but never gets the problem, the condition, or the comfort of the place up to par with what we bought. Thinking now our best bet is to try to give it back to the owner for free. Recommendations?

Linda S.

Last edited by on Nov 16, 2018 02:02 PM

Jan 18, 2019

I previously owned time share in cabo and used it on exchange at one of our trip to Hilton head and got scamed into buying another time share with a promise to buy off the other time share in cabo with outrageous maintenance fee but ended up having 2 timeshares and maintenance fees.I finally contacted and wrote letters to recede my ownership on my Cabo time share but now I need to get out of my Hilton head time share which we haven't used since my husband got diagnosed with cancer 5yrs ago.I'm still paying maintenance fee of 1k every 3yrs.but really need to get out before paying more.it's all paid off except for regular maintenance fee.

Elizabeth W.
Feb 14, 2019

I am 83 years old, I walked away from my time share some years back . I have a bad heart and retired , on fixed income can pay hospital bills. Thankfully I get meds free. They keep sended bills , I can't pay its now over 7000.00. I ask a few years ago what I could do, got no answer. What can I do

Donald C.
Mar 05, 2019

I’ve had a 1 week / 2 bedroom time share with westgate vacation villas since 1992. Paid cash. It’s totally wrong that most of these timeshare companies don’t give there customers a “way out”, especially if the customer has been dedicated in mntc and tax payments. As customers get older, they don’t use it as much. What decent company does this? I’m from Michigan. Our real estate companies NEVER get fees up front for listing your property. Anyone asking for money up front to sell or look into other ways to “cancel” your timeshare are sheep in wolves clothing. I’m disgusted and ashamed that these large timeshare corporations are patting themselves on the back for making billions of dollars at the expense of their customers. Instead of building huge high rises with top of the line interiors, why can’t they also have a way to help their customers when in need. Maybe a subsidiary to help sell, take back, units that are no longer needed? Win, win I’m sure. Glass of wine anyone?

Ebbe S.

Last edited by on Mar 06, 2019 08:19 AM

Apr 24, 2019

Do you have a template for a letter to send to our timeshare companies to ask them if they have a sales or buy back option? I understand that Redweek recommends that as step one in getting out of a time share. I'd like to make sure that I make all the relevant arguments during the communication. I appreciate your help!

Elaine B.
Apr 24, 2019

Elaine B.: We do not have any type of template for asking your timeshare company if they will take back your timeshare. Each individual owner's situation is different, so you should simply state the reasons why you need to get out of your timeshare: for example, you are no longer able to pay the maintenance fee because of these reasons... or you can no longer travel, or your spouse has passed away, or whatever your current situation is. If you are no longer able to pay the maintenance fee, then it may be to your resort's benefit to take your timeshare back rather than having to go through the foreclosure process. Be persistent with your request, but remain pleasant. Good luck!

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
May 11, 2019

I want to cop out of my timeshare, Daytona Florida. I do not want bad credit, does this hurt credit score or can I dispute it.

Chris C.
Jun 21, 2019

I couldn’t handle the high pressure sales tactics used on me each and every vacation. We owned ours for 6 years and was able to only get in 3 times, and each of those 3 times I was tricked into coming into the sales center for an “update” I said it was enough. And I had paid Alleviate Consulting thousands to cancel it which I think is crap. They did no wrong doing but still it’s crazy to think that something that was supposed to have so much value did nothing more than cost me an entire years worth of wages. I can’t get that year added back to my life. Such a shame. I do not recommend anyone buy a timeshare before investigating it fully.

Carl N.
Aug 28, 2019

I got out of mine (it was paid off) by not paying the maintenance fee (by accident). My bank changed hands and the fee was coming out of my old debit card and not thinking about changing it because it was a completely useless burden on me. After they finally got a hold of me (I had been working overseas) and some choice expletives they offered me a quit claim. I don't think it would work if it's not paid off they are like a dog on the bone and will not foreclose because they know they are worthless.

Scott P.
Oct 23, 2019

I have a timeshare unit, paid for. The company refuse to take it back because I owe a maintenance fee. I don’t want anything but out. Yet they could sell for 5x the maintenance fee and make a hell of a profit. So what’s the reason they refuse to take it back?

Will T.
Oct 26, 2019

RAYBURN COUNTRY TIMESHARE, Inc.....Sam Rayburn, Texas 409-698-9248 Poor management/embezzlement/fraud has caused them to be removed from the RCI points system. So after November 2019 I will not be able to use any points accumulated but may still have to pay the annual maintenance fee. Also, In order to survive I can foresee another Special Assessment on the horizon. Under these circumstances I would think that I could legally just walk away from my timeshare??????

Jack H.
Oct 30, 2019

We are Canadians who purchased a Florida timeshare in 1997, for $9,000.00 U.S. Over the years we have paid $1500 surcharge twice and our maintenance fee is now just over $1,000.00 for one week. We are now in our 70's, have spoken to the owner rep at our resort about selling our resort. The resort is a sold out timeshare, which does not buy back units. We have offered our timeshare to a few young families we know but everyone feels the maintenance fee is high, and of course, for Canadians, 35% higher than an American. I have spoken to Timeshare Resale people, who ask for $2,000.00 or more upfront and I won't do this. I feel we have expired all our ideas, except to walk away, but really don't want to do this. Any suggestions?

Marlene M.
Nov 25, 2019

Brianh362, I am trying to get out of mine at Orange Lake. Who do you recommend contacting to start the process?

Kelly352
Jan 19, 2020

Only and the must important: Help me please to get rid of my timeshare. PLEASE.

Jacinto G.
Jan 25, 2020

Why can't we all ban together and hire a law firm to file a class action suit against the resorts...we were ALL deceived

Jane Chiong

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.