Ask RedWeek

Timeshare vs. Ownership

Jan 24, 2017

My wife and I are wanting to spend a few weeks a year in Cabo. We've been several times now and love it.

I first considered a timeshare purchase, but it doesn't seem to be much cheaper than just booking a trip via Trip Advisor, etc.

Then I began wondering about just purchasing a house in Cabo and leasing it out when not in use. I have not researched the ins/outs of foreign ownership yet (taxation, insurance, etc.). But I would think that if I could purchase a place and keep it rented out through a leasing company, that I might could possibly pay for the place through rental as well as maybe even covering my cost of going down there.

I just don't know if I could justify the expense of doing that, if I cannot be down there more than 3-4 weeks a year.

Thoughts?

Stephen B.
Jan 24, 2017

Stay with renting from an owner. If you look the forms, and other sites like TUG. You will see where people get swindled, lied to, and find that trying to get out of a Mexican TS is practically non existent. Why saddle yourself with a life time of MF's, headaches that come with dealing with a TS that in all probability won't be worth much. Don't jump on anything, never buy developer prices, buy resale's, most of all don't think that "buying" extra points are goona get you any thing, if you do buy, buy what you're going to use.

William P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.