Comments

ask-redweek-resort-rental-commissions

Mar 14, 2017

I, on the other hand, I'm looking to rent a week in Cabo San Lucas and I was told I would be responsible for fees at the hotel and taxes and the owner did not know what they were. On top of that weekly fee the homeowner it's charging. Is this how it works? If there is a resort fee and taxes, is the renter responsible for the additional nightly charges all the time?

Diane P.
Mar 14, 2017

Unless you need the cash, why not bank the week at II or RCI? It will cost you for the trade you make, but less than the commission, and you get to keep a vacation week (or more, if it's a lock-off and you trade each side separately.

Roberta M.
Mar 14, 2017

Diane-

If a resort charges any fees or taxes at check in (such as an energy surcharge, amenities or housekeeping fee, etc) typically the renter is responsible to pay those. Each resort is different, so I would recommend calling the resort to confirm what those charges would be before signing a rental agreement.

If you need further assistance, please Contact Us.

Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Mar 15, 2017

What you did not mention is that any income received for the rental of your week is considered taxable income by the IRS (and most likely by your State, and maybe by your local taxing authority). Marriott will send the appropriate income document (1099?) to both you and the IRS. Can't hide from the taxman.

Michael P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.