Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

New Rentee looking to protect from Renter cancelling reservation

May 08, 2017

I am looking to rent a unit in the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club. I am renting from someone who is in agreement to use Escrow/contracts/etc.

Is there any way, once the reservation is transferred to me that I can block the owner from having any way to modify/cancel the reservation?

Marriott says this is not possible, technically the owner can go back in and change it.

Gregory F.
May 08, 2017

gregoryf61 wrote:
I am looking to rent a unit in the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club. I am renting from someone who is in agreement to use Escrow/contracts/etc.

Is there any way, once the reservation is transferred to me that I can block the owner from having any way to modify/cancel the reservation?

Marriott says this is not possible, technically the owner can go back in and change it.

In ANY timeshare, whether "chain" or independent, owner rights prevail. After all, it's the owner who actually OWNS the interval and who pays the annual maintenance fees, so it stands to reason that no outsider could (or should) ever be allowed to "block" (or in any other way impede or influence) owner actions or decisions regarding what they OWN.

That being said, why would an owner executing a legally binding contract fiddle around with a confirmed reservation if using escrow for rental, which itself is ALREADY plenty risky for an owner? Whether you realize it or not as a prospective tenant, an owner accepting "escrow" for a rental (which I personally would never entertain for a moment as an owner) won't even receive payment until two weeks AFTER the rental has been completed. In short, the owner has too much at stake in a contractually binding, "escrowed" rental to ever knowingly put the rental (or payment) at risk. Put yourself in the owner's shoes; if the roles were reversed, how would YOU act regarding an "escrowed" rental in which you would receive payment only weeks AFTER the rental has been successfully completed? The answer to that question might give you some reassurance that the owner is actually just as much "at risk" as you are as the renting tenant.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 09, 2017 04:30 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.