Ask RedWeek

Using less than a week

May 12, 2017

Can I purchase a one week rental for example Friday-Friday but check in Saturday and check out Thursday? How would this work?

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin G.
May 12, 2017

What do you mean by "[purchasing] a one week rental"? Do you want to purchase a week or rent a week? If you want to rent five days you probably could but you would have to pay the week's price.

Another suggestion is to go to Timeshare Users Group's (TUG) Last Minute Rental section and advertise for free that you want to rent five nights. Keep in mind that, since it is last minute rental, the check-in date can be no farther away than 45 days. There might be some points owners who can round up something to your liking and charge you no more than $100 per night.

Lance C.
May 13, 2017

I see no problem with using week and only staying five or six days. I have done that a few times. Fortunately my timeshare is flexible as far as when your weeks starts. Ask and you might find out that they accept other day check ins. It allows me to take a late afternoon non stop flight for less money and check in later at night and leave the same way rather than having to take a very early flight and go home on no sleep .

Don P.
May 15, 2017

I would suggest that if renting for a full week but not actually using the full week, that the resort be formally notified of the days of "paid vacancy". Over the years, I have known of a few isolated but unfortunate instances of people reaching their destination timeshare a day or two late (usually involving car troubles) but failing to notify the resort of their delayed arrival --- with unexpected and unpleasant results.

In one instance, a desk clerk inappropriately let friends "use" a "vacant" timeshare unit, vacant due to "no shows". These "no shows" were OWNERS, not just renters. There were some surprised and embarrassed people when the owners arrived first thing in the morning (but two days late), met by a red faced and stuttering desk clerk and a frantic effort to vacate and clean the owners' unit. The desk clerk's employment was terminated before that work day ended. At a different resort, an enterprising desk clerk conducted his own "private side deal" rental of a (supposedly) "vacant" unit. That unwise decision also cost him HIS job when the actual, authorized (but late arriving) occupants finally got on site to check into their OWNED week. They had not called the resort to advise the resort of their travel delay.

In short, if you're arriving late (whether an owner or renter), call ahead and notify the resort. If you're a renter and leaving early, before your rented week is actually over, formally notify BOTH the resort AND the owner you rented from of your early departure. That way, you cannot in ANY way be held accountable or responsible for whatever happens to / in the unit after your departure, but before the week that you rented has actually ended.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 16, 2017 04:00 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.