Ask RedWeek

Can points I purchase thru resale be used to convert fixed weeks? - Wyndham

Sep 20, 2017

My father would like to deed over to me, 2 fixed weeks at Wyndham Fairfield Glade. As i understand it, in order to convert fixed weeks over to points, i would need to be a points owner first. Wyndham sales has offered to sell me 128,000 points for $19k, and then convert the two fixed weeks my father owns for about $200/week and this scenario does not make economic sense for me. However, I am seeing the same amount of points on the resale market for much less - $2,000 on this site, which might work. Would Wyndham convert fixed weeks to points if i purchase points thru resale, or do i have to buy points from them in order to do so?

Diane K.
Sep 20, 2017

dianek347 wrote:
My father would like to deed over to me, 2 fixed weeks at Wyndham Fairfield Glade. As i understand it, in order to convert fixed weeks over to points, i would need to be a points owner first. Wyndham sales has offered to sell me 128,000 points for $19k, and then convert the two fixed weeks my father owns for about $200/week and this scenario does not make economic sense for me. However, I am seeing the same amount of points on the resale market for much less - $2,000 on this site, which might work. Would Wyndham convert fixed weeks to points if i purchase points thru resale, or do i have to buy points from them in order to do so?

My own past experience may not reflect current Wyndham practices, but I would first respectfully suggest that you NOT believe a single word uttered out of the mouths of hungry, deceitful Wyndham sales weasels. They "lie for a living" and only Westgate sales weasels are worse in the entire United States timeshare industry, in my personal opinion. In my experience, fixed weeks in Wyndham CAN be "converted" to Wyndham points (for a hefty fee, of course) WITHOUT having to first make ANY separate points purchase.

Around 2006, I acquired (for next to nothing, on eBay) a fixed week in Wyndham at a FL resort. That week had already been "converted" to (182,000) Wyndham points by the previous owner (at a cost to them of about $2,500). After the transaction, I used the fixed week itself the first year, I "credit pooled" and used the 182k points elsewhere within Wyndham the following year --- and I dumped the ownership entirely (gave it away for free, actually) in the third year. Back then at least, you absolutely did NOT have to "purchase points" in order to convert an owned fixed week. It may be different today --- but I am frankly inclined to doubt it. I think that you're probably just being lied to by hungry Wyndham sales weasels who routinely and consistently lie all day long, every single day --- for a living. I would definitely seek independent and current further information and verification.

You could get 128,000 Wyndham points most any day of the week in the resale market for a few hundred dollars. Paying Wyndham $19,000 to purchase 128k points would be (with no offense or disrespect intended) just about the most stupid thing I have heard in 35+ years of timeshare experience and ownership. In my opinion, there is NOTHING in Wyndham worth paying $19,000 for --- NOTHING! 128k points is not worth $1,900 (1/10th of $19,000), yet such a purchase would still create a new annual maintenance fee obligation for you. Be smart --- don't buy into any bogus story or pitch from hungry, deceitful sales weasels.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 21, 2017 08:30 AM

Sep 21, 2017

Resale points would not convert fixed weeks. His best option would be to try to give them back through the Wyndham Ovation program- the number to call is (855) 312-9040 and ask if they will take back the deeds (no cost with ovations). For a while they were taking almost everything but I kind of doubt his resort is on the list that they still take back. If they will not take a deed back the next best option would be to try to give them away even if he has to prepay MF and give away the weeks with free first years usage.

Tracey S.
Sep 21, 2017

tracey75 wrote:
Resale points would not convert fixed weeks. His best option would be to try to give them back through the Wyndham Ovation program- the number to call is (855) 312-9040 and ask if they will take back the deeds (no cost with ovations). For a while they were taking almost everything but I kind of doubt his resort is on the list that they still take back. If they will not take a deed back the next best option would be to try to give them away even if he has to prepay MF and give away the weeks with free first years usage.

Just for clarification, are you asserting that Wyndham no longer allows owners of fixed weeks to convert (i.e, simply PAY to convert, of course) those fixed weeks in order to also have Wyndham points become associated with those fixed weeks? My vague (but perhaps incorrect) recollection is that they called that program "Club Wyndham Plus".

I am not challenging or in any way disputing your above input, but merely seeking to more clearly understand whether that "conversion" option which was offered and available from Wyndham in years past is still an available option today. However, even if still an option, any such "conversion" would certainly cost the OP a minimum of at least $5,000 (based solely on the costs cited to me 10 years ago) to "convert" two weeks at a minimum of $2,500 per week . Quite likely not worth the expense in any event, since there would still be those two weeks worth of annual maintenance fee obligations and the amount of points which would be allocated in any such "conversion" is as yet completely unknown.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 21, 2017 09:02 AM

Sep 21, 2017

I am not saying that you can't pay a conversion fee to convert a fixed week. It has been years since I heard of anyone being able to pay the $2500 or so per week conversion fee to convert but that doesn't mean that you have no chance of finding someone at Wyndham with the power and the desire to do so. I agree though even if offered not a good deal for the OP's weeks.

My understanding of the OP's question was could buying resale points and setting up a Wyndham points account be used to convert fixed weeks for that owner in the same way that purchasing $20,000+ dollars retail contract could convert the fixed weeks. My answer to that question was no it isn't possible to use a resale purchase to convert a deeded week.

Tracey S.
Aug 31, 2021

My question... if I haven't used my deeded fix weeks would the unit be empty? Or are they renting it without my permission?

tracey75 wrote:

Ruth H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.