Ask RedWeek

Transferring or adding adult children to timeshare deeds

Sep 23, 2017

What is the normal process for transferring or adding adult children to a Wyndham timeshare? All points are fully paid.

George D.
Sep 23, 2017

georged307 wrote:
What is the normal process for transferring or adding adult children to a Wyndham timeshare? All points are fully paid.

Not enough / clear enough information. Is your "product" a "pure points" (CWA) contract (with no deed)?, Fixed weeks (with deed)? "Converted" fixed weeks (with a deed, but with points also attached)? The presence or absence of a deed in your particular ownership dictates the correct answer and procedure. If there is a deed with your current ownership, a new deed would have to be prepared adding the new "grantees" and duly recorded --- with Wyndham being so informed (by copy of new deed) upon completion and recording. I don't know if Wyndham would charge you their customary (and larcenous) $299 transfer fee if the changes only involve adding family members, but that's something to personally confirm / verify directly with Wyndham.

That aside, I hope that you are ONLY considering adding ADULT children names and that you are doing so ONLY with their advance full knowledge and overtly expressed consent. You surely DO NOT want to unilaterally impart (potentially unwelcome) legal and financial obligations upon your offspring unless they know all about it in advance, fully understand and openly agree. It certainly would not be a pleasant or welcome surprise for them to learn later (for the first time, only after your demise) that they have legal, contractual financial obligations they never voluntarily chose, never even knew about and quite possibly never wanted. Just be sure to consider and examine the WHOLE picture here before initiating any such actions independently. Timeshare ownership is frankly much more of a liability than an asset from a financial and / or legal perspective.

Keep in mind that an unexpected and unwanted "inheritance" of timeshares can simply be "disclaimed" --- but NOT by anyone whose names are already on the deeds as co-owners. Food for thought before (unwisely) initiating any such deed changes.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 28, 2024 03:20 PM

Sep 23, 2017

Wyndham has a free program if you are transferring your timeshare contracts to your children it is part of there ovations program. You would not have to pay the $299 per contract transfer fee when using "Tribute by Wyndham". The number to call to ask about this is the Ovations line (name of Wyndham's exit program) 888-752-1362, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. ET.

If you just want to add a name or names (family or otherwise) there is a transfer fee of $299 per deed or contract. If you just want your children to have access to the account without using guest certificates but don't want to transfer it to them (take your names off) and you have multiple deeds, you only have to put their names on one deed and they will have access to the account and all of the points.

In addition to the transfer fee, if you have deeds (not CWA) you would either need to prepare and record the new deed (s) yourself or pay someone to do that.

Tracey S.
Jan 03, 2020

I have a timeshare fix week. I am not with any special like Wyndham. How do I add an adult to my time share. My niece and I have talked about this. So she wants to be added. She understand the fees and everything. I want my name to stay on for usage, I just want hers added. How do I proceed. Do I just pay a transfer company and prepare a new deed?

Renee C.
Jan 22, 2020

reneec59 wrote:
I have a timeshare fix week. I am not with any special like Wyndham. How do I add an adult to my time share. My niece and I have talked about this. So she wants to be added. She understand the fees and everything. I want my name to stay on for usage, I just want hers added. How do I proceed. Do I just pay a transfer company and prepare a new deed?

Personally, I think it is likely a big mistake to "add" your niece to your existing deed. If you do so, you make her a equal co-owner. She would immediately (and forever) be "on the hook" (equally with you) for future maintenance fees, any imposed special assessments, etc. In my personal opinion, you would probably be wiser to leave the current deed alone and just leave the timeshare to her in your will, if that is your intent. More names on a deed creates new complexities for both parties, but that's your business. She may be interested in co-ownership now, but maybe not years from now. She can easily "disclaim" any inheritance later, but if her name is on the deed she cannot disclaim anything and she will be the new permanent owner upon your passing (whether she likes it or not at that future time), with no option to decline or deny ownership or the associated financial responsibilities --- permanently. Food for thought, to be sure...

Anyway, if you decide to add name(s) to the deed despite the above input, a new deed will have to be prepared and signed and officially recorded. I recommend LT Transfers (located in Georgia) to prepare and record a new deed for you. The whole exercise can be completed for about $200, including County deed recording fees. LT Transfers is a small business of a few very nice ladies who are competent and communicative and attentive to details. I've used LTT several times over the past 8 years or so and I will surely do so again in the future. You won't find anyone better (or less expensive). For the record, I have no affiliation with LT Transfers other than as a satisfied customer.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 13, 2020 08:15 AM

Jul 10, 2020

I have a deeded floating week at Marriotts Barony Beach. I just read the comments about adding children to the deed. So if we didn't want to put the burden on them having to take over the fees is it best to put the deed in a trust for them? That way they can sell it if not interested in keeping it? Is that easier? My kids are grown and love going to the beach but I really don't want to burden them with all the fees if they don't want it.

ken1193 wrote:
georged307 wrote:

Not enough / clear enough information. Is your "product" a "pure points" (CWA) contract (with no deed)?, Fixed weeks (with deed)? "Converted" fixed weeks (with a deed, but with points also attached)? The presence or absence of a deed in your particular ownership dictates the correct answer and procedure. If there is a deed with your current ownership, a new deed would have to be prepared adding the new "grantees" and duly recorded --- with Wyndham being so informed (by copy of new deed) upon completion and recording. I don't know if Wyndham would charge you their customary (and larcenous) $299 transfer fee if the changes only involve adding family members, but that's something to personally confirm / verify directly with Wyndham.

That aside, I hope that you are ONLY considering adding ADULT children names and that you are doing so ONLY with their advance full knowledge and overtly expressed consent. You surely DO NOT want to unilaterally impart (potentially unwelcome) legal and financial obligations upon your offspring unless they know all about it in advance, fully understand and openly agree. It certainly would not be a pleasant or welcome surprise for them to learn later (for the first time, only after your demise) that they have legal, contractual financial obligations they never voluntarily chose, never even knew about and quite possibly never wanted. Just be sure to consider and examine the WHOLE picture here before initiating any such actions independently. Timeshare ownership is frankly much more of a liability than an asset from a financial and / or legal perspective.

Keep in mind that an unexpected and unwanted "inheritance" of timeshares can simply be "disclaimed" --- but NOT by anyone whose names are already on the deeds as co-owners. Food for thought before (potentially unwisely) initiating any such deed changes.

Beth P.
Jul 10, 2020

bethp212 wrote:
So if we didn't want to put the burden on them having to take over the fees is it best to put the deed in a trust for them? That way they can sell it if not interested in keeping it? Is that easier? My kids are grown and love going to the beach but I really don't want to burden them with all the fees if they don't want it.

If they do not want it, my suggestion would be to discuss with them and your will's executor now, while you're preparing your will and planning your estate, how to get rid of it if and when you die. There are a number of ways to get rid of it so I suggest you familiarize yourself and your kids now with those methods.

As for "[putting] the deed in a trust for them...[so]...they can sell it if not interested in keeping it", you would have to check if your unit has any resale value.

Lance C.
Jul 11, 2020

bethp212 wrote:
I have a deeded floating week at Marriotts Barony Beach. I just read the comments about adding children to the deed. So if we didn't want to put the burden on them having to take over the fees is it best to put the deed in a trust for them? That way they can sell it if not interested in keeping it? Is that easier? My kids are grown and love going to the beach but I really don't want to burden them with all the fees if they don't want it.

No need to overcomplicate matters. Speak with an attorney for further clarification if you wish, but the easiest thing to do is to leave the deed alone and simply make crystal clear in your will that you wish for your children to inherit ownership of your deeded timeshare IF THEY WANT IT. That way, they have no obligations until / unless actually taking over lawful ownership of the deeded week upon your passing. That way, you preserve for them the option to disclaim the ownership as an inheritance if their future view or circumstances change and, for whatever reason, they simply do not want any such obligation "in perpetuity".

The point is to not FORCE legal, permanent ownership and eternal fee obligations upon your offspring by placing their names on your deed now.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 11, 2020 04:36 AM

Jun 30, 2021

Hi, I am wondering about the standard process and standard price for adding adult children to deeds for Marriott Grand Ocean and Surf Watch timeshares. The weeks are platinum, deeded with points. Thank you for your help. Sarah

Sarah B.
Sep 27, 2021

I’m in the process of acquiring a timeshare in the USVI. How do I go about getting the deed changed ? Can u recommend a company or do I need a lawyer ?

Jennifer S.
Sep 27, 2021

Jennifer: If you email support@redweek.com and provide location of the timeshare, we can give you recommendations on reputable closing companies.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Last edited by phyl21 on Sep 27, 2021 09:20 PM

Mar 01, 2022

Does anyone know how to have my name removed from a deed. I signed with my fiance. We are not married and therefore not family members. If he dies I do not want to have the timeshare in my name. In his will it is left to his son but I want my name off now.

Beth A.
Mar 01, 2022

betha269 wrote:
Does anyone know how to have my name removed from a deed. I signed with my fiance. We are not married and therefore not family members. If he dies I do not want to have the timeshare in my name. In his will it is left to his son but I want my name off now.

A new deed will have to be prepared and officially recorded. On that new deed, you and your fiance would both have to sign as "grantors" and your fiance would be identified as the new sole "grantee". In other words, you will need his active participation (and his notarized signature) to conduct and complete the new deed process required to "remove" your name from the current deed, thereby also "removing" you from all ownership rights and / or legal responsibilities.

Until a new deed is prepared and recorded, you are both equal co-owners, with equal financial and legal responsibility. In the event of his death before a new deed gets prepared and recorded, you would become the sole owner of record.

P.S. You do NOT need to hire a lawyer to get this done, IF your fiance is in full agreement. A good timeshare closing company (like LT Transfers, for example) can do all of the deed work and recording for you for under $200 in total cost. Your fiance will have to cooperate and agree to sign a new deed, which will make him sole owner instead of co-owner. However, if your fiance is not willing to cooperate, then you will both permanently remain equal co-owners, like it or not. You cannot "get removed" from a deed on your own. The other co-owner(s) must agree, by executing and recording a new deed which reflects that you no longer have any ownership rights or responsibilities regarding that timeshare.

P.P.S. The above input assumes that there are no unpaid loan balances associated with this timeshare. If there are any outstanding loan balances, then all bets are off and this obviously becomes a considerably more complicated matter if you also previously co-signed for an associated loan / mortgage which has not yet been satisfied.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 02, 2022 11:38 AM

Mar 22, 2024

My husband and I jointly own 3 deeded timeshares at Marriott Grande Ocean and wish to transfer them to our 2 adult sons who both recognize the ownership obligations. Is it better to change deed to both of them as co-owners, or have each of deeds singly owned? Will any legacy perks or status benefits be lost if our names are removed from the deed and replaced with theirs?

Bren R.
Mar 27, 2024

brenr wrote:
My husband and I jointly own 3 deeded timeshares at Marriott Grande Ocean and wish to transfer them to our 2 adult sons who both recognize the ownership obligations. Is it better to change deed to both of them as co-owners, or have each of deeds singly owned? Will any legacy perks or status benefits be lost if our names are removed from the deed and replaced with theirs?

The identification of new grantee name(s) on a new deed is entirely your own personal decision to make, perhaps after getting some informed input from the new “grantees-to-be”, in order to determine what they might want or prefer, rather than just making that decision entirely on your own without even obtaining their input.

Your “legacy perks / status benefits” question is really a policy question that is certainly best answered directly by contacting Marriott, rather than relying upon unverified input or speculative opinions from unknown people on a RedWeek discussion forum.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 28, 2024 12:34 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.