Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

My timeshare is paid in full, but I just don't want it anymore

Jan 02, 2018

kellyb248 wrote:
Now I'm getting nervous. We are looking to purchase two weeks at the Marriott grande vista from two separate sellers. We have been going there every year for the past 10 years and really enjoy the property. When we balance out the makntence fees vs what we would ou for our stay the maintenance fees are still lower. After reading all of this now I am reconsidering. Thoughts

I respectfully submit that you are 'getting nervous" unwisely comparing apples to oranges.

This particular thread addresses a Raintree "club membership", which is essentially worthless in the resale market and has no ownership of anything and no deed. It's basically just a "paper membership" with annual fees for usage "members" (attempt to) reserve.

On the other hand, It sounds like what YOU are considering buying may be deeded Marriott Grande Vista weeks, which you will OWN and which will always have SOME resale value (unlike the Raintree "membership" previously discussed).

I will not advise you on whether or not to purchase, but at least compare "apples to apples" as you ponder your decision. Maintenance fees in ANY system are likely to increase (as a general rule of thumb) by 4-6% per year, each and every year. Don't believe for a moment that maintenance fees will just remain the same ANYWHERE in ANY system or property.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 03, 2018 12:14 PM

Jan 03, 2018

I went with this company and paid 5000. They arent going to do anything. 3 years still nothing. Dont waste your money. 😔

Angela H.
Jan 03, 2018

angelah474 wrote:
I went with this company and paid 5000. They arent going to do anything. 3 years still nothing. Dont waste your money.

What is the unidentified "this company" to which you are referring? I see no reference to (or any mention of) ANY "exit" company within this thread.

Have you perhaps seen some "company" mentioned in some other thread but have somehow mistakenly posted your input in the wrong thread?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 17, 2018 10:16 AM

Jan 03, 2018

Thank you so much. I didn't even look at it that way.

We love the resort, we go every year, so we will decide in the next few days. I understand about maintenance fees but no way around that and to get the times we need to pay each year is double the fees.

Thanks again!

Steve B.
Jan 05, 2018

I don’t have any solutions to this as I am in the same boat...unfortunately, my beloved late husband & I loved going to Cabo San Lucas and we purchased 3 “vacation Club” memberships. Shortly after that, he passed away. My daughters & I have gone there perhaps 3-4times in the last 21 yrs since he’s been gone. , but now they’re married & i have multiple disabilities so I can’t travel alone, so the timeshares are wasted becuz no one wants to take them off my hands and the maint. Fees for all total approx.$4,000 a year and I’m 71 & I’d like to keep one of the timeshares in Mexico or the Tahoe Bch & Ski. I was told by a “higher up” in the office for Pueblo Bonita Rose Office, that they would take me to court or send me to collection! I have an excellent credit rating & I need it in case I have to go put money down on a apt. in an assisted living place! Does anyone have any other solutions in this scenario?? I would be very grateful !!!

Rebecca B.
Jan 05, 2018

The Mexican operation will NEVER take you to court (nor could they ever even TRY do so). They have NO legal jurisdiction whatsoever in the U.S. over a U. S. citizen in the U.S. In short, their jurisdiction and reach simply does not exist anywhere outside of Mexico. That is just an empty and meaningless (outright laughable, actually) threat, attempting to intimidate you into continuing to pay annual fees. In the final analysis, the Mexican operation can do NOTHING more than terminate your future access and cancel your future "right to use".

Tell them to go pound sand (or better still, simply CEASE all communications and all future fee payments) altogether. If you simply stop paying, there is NOTHING they can do about that and NOTHING they can do to you thereafter. This is a MEXICAN matter with NO jurisdiction in the U.S.. Their contract means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the U.S. and they certainly know that They will ultimately just blow you off and hook the next unlucky gringos to come along and sign on the dotted line.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 06, 2018 07:39 AM

Jan 05, 2018

Well... I'm the OP... and this is going to be my strategy. I'm just going to let it die. I didn't want this in the first place. It was an inherited type of thing, although they did get about $11K of my money to pay it off. I'm going to just STOP paying the MF and see what happens. I thought about changing my cell phone number. I don't have a Lan line. I'll post back from time to time.

Steve P.
Jan 06, 2018

I wish I'd listened to my brain when I was in your position. My advice: PULL OUT NOW. You will not ever ever regret that decision but if you stay in expect sleepless nights and an ever shrinking wallet.

Henry B.
Jul 06, 2018

Hi there....I am in the same situation. The time share was bought when I was still married with my ex. No one wouldn't want to take over as the maintenance fee is just ridiculous. We haven't paid the MF for like 10years now and they just sent us an email that they will forward it to the collection agency???? That stupid timeshare was never used but I paid for it at that time. I don't have any plans of using it. I couldn't seem to find those paper works anymore. Can somebody advise how these companies that advertise on how to get out of time share legally?

Ruby A.
Jul 06, 2018

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract !!! Call the resort directly and ask them to take it back .

Don P.
Jul 06, 2018

These companies, if they do it legally, simply negotiate with the resort to take your unit back. That's something you can do yourself. However, since you are behind on the maintenance fees, the resort probably will not take your unit back unless you continue defaulting on your payments. then the resort will likely foreclose and repossess.

Lance C.
Jul 06, 2018

Okay. That's what I thought they would do. I am waiting for them to say that since the mf wasn't paid for like 10 years, they would waive the right to that stupid time share. But instead they are threating to send it to the collection agency and that our credit ratings will be affected. And also, we don't have a good relationship with my ex. No point of discussing about this time share. I don't want to waste my time with them. What more do they want they got my money 10,000US and the time share was not used!!!

Ruby A.
Jul 13, 2018

Never, ever buy a times. In maintenance fees you could have another vacation

Ron T.
Jul 13, 2018

Took us a lawyer and $2000 to get out of a paid RCI!

Ron T.
Jul 13, 2018

Learned.a lesson in a hard way.

Ruby A.
Jul 13, 2018

Hi what do you mean by RCI? What did the lawyer have to do?

Ruby A.
Jul 13, 2018

They're trying to call me... but no cops at my door yet. Maintenance Fees went from $700 to $1250 in 13 years. BS!!!

Steve P.

Last edited by stevep603 on Jul 13, 2018 11:03 AM

Jul 13, 2018

RCI is the parent company (or used to be) for Raintree Vacation Club.

Steve P.
Jul 13, 2018

Actually, Resorts Condominiums International (RCI) is an exchange company. It's a company that timeshare owners use to exchange their weeks and intervals.

Lance C.
Jul 15, 2018

Not sure what you decided to do with your Marriott situation. Marriotts are great properties. If you did, I hope you got a good deal. My advice is to make sure you buy it to use at the property. Just curious, where is the property?

Wayne C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.