Ask RedWeek

Get out of Westgate Resorts

Aug 26, 2018

msgg wrote:
Im so disappointed that such a large timeshare would prey and deceive hardworking people for their gain. Im considering the foreclosure route because i'm approaching 1 yr of ownership and have nothing to show but high monthly payments. I want out immediately!

Sadly, this is practically the status quo in the timeshare industry for selling. Ken has already given you some practical advice. I will just add this. Do not go seeking the help of these so-called timeshare exit/relief/escape/freedom companies that claim they can get you out of your timeshare and contract free and clear. They are usually scams.

Do you have any maintenance fees owing or money left owing on the mortgage/loan?

Lance C.
Oct 04, 2018

I recently purchased a timeshare with Westgate. I took a vacation the end of July did the tour, and fell into the trap. This month will by my second monthly payment, and I'm already getting billed for the maintenance fee. I want out asap. Is there any other option in my situation? TIA

Biby A.
Oct 05, 2018

mayraa23 wrote:
I recently purchased a timeshare with Westgate. I took a vacation the end of July did the tour, and fell into the trap. This month will by my second monthly payment, and I'm already getting billed for the maintenance fee. I want out asap. Is there any other option in my situation? TIA

You are well beyond the time period provided by state law to rescind (cancel) the contract. In the U.S., the maximum time period to cancel (in 3 states) is 10 days. In most states, it's 5-7 days. It's as few as 3 days in several states. Your particular contract was apparently executed nearly 3 months ago now; you're stuck with it.

Your reference to "monthly payment" indicates that you financed the purchase. Maintenance fee obligations (separate and unrelated to the loan) come with every timeshare in existence, whether financed or not.

Don't shoot the messenger, but you have very few options at this late juncture. You can either continue paying or decide to pay nothing further. If you pay nothing further, any deposit money and / or previous payments will be permanently forfeited and defaulting on the associated loan will result in a negative credit report lasting for 7 years. On the other hand, getting away from Wastegate now without pouring more money into something which is essentially worthless in the resale market might be worth the expensive lesson. Ultimately, it's your personal choice and decision, but understand that there are no "magic beans" or "secret elixirs" for an easy escape. Do NOT pay a single penny to any of the useless, parasitic upfront fee "exit / relief / rescue / escape" operations who stand ready and willing to take a few thousand dollars of your money from you, with assorted empty promises but ultimately to no productive end.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 05, 2018 03:55 AM

Oct 10, 2018

The only way to get out of this timeshare is the buy back program with westgate call the legacy program. Yes there is an 750 dollar fee to do this, but think about what you pay for maintenance and taxes. If you don't pay your maintenance and taxes it will eventually go into foreclosure and then it will ruin your credit. I personally paid the fee and now I am out of it and I say good ridden. Westgate is the worst place to deal with, and I have nothing positive to say about them. My goal now is to tell people not to ever get involved with a time share. It has been a money pit and we are so sad that we wasted our money. If I can stop one person from making this mistake then I will feel a little better. Trust me when I say that I understand how you feel

Matt P.
Oct 10, 2018

No, there is no way out except to either ruin your credit and go into forclosure or pay it off and then use the Westgate Legacy program. DO NOT USE any company that says they can sell it for you or get rid of it for you. THEY ARE SCAMMERS.

Matt P.
Oct 10, 2018

I can recomend you with a friend Jessica, let mw know!

Vanessa R.
Oct 12, 2018

I owe 25000 dollars to westgate and just decide to stop paying. As of next month I will be in default of my loan. I'm not worried about my credit but I am worried about being sued. Does westgate sue people? And if they do should I get a lawyer now to try and get out of it, just wait and get a lawyer when they sue or file for bankruptcy. Thank you in advance for any help

Alan D.
Oct 12, 2018

aland192 wrote:
I owe 25000 dollars to westgate and just decide to stop paying. As of next month I will be in default of my loan. I'm not worried about my credit but I am worried about being sued. Does westgate sue people? And if they do should I get a lawyer now to try and get out of it, just wait and get a lawyer when they sue or file for bankruptcy.

I have yet to hear of any timeshare company or resort actually suing owners for defaulting on their loan, mortgage, or maintenance fees. They might send a barrage of collection calls or letters with some threats but not actually sue in court.

If you are not worried about your credit hit, then the action that you said you are taking might be your best financial option provided you are willing to deal with a lot of collection calls and letters. And I would not waste my money on a lawyer at this point.

Lance C.
Oct 13, 2018

Thank you for taking the time and answering my questions.

Alan D.
Dec 09, 2018

Hello. How long did it take your timeshare to default?? Like after how many payments not made. Im in the same situation, I'm just curious because I decided not to pay anything else as of this month.

Christi S.
Dec 09, 2018

Please let me know what happens with your situation because I purchased around the same time you did.

Christi S.
Dec 11, 2018

Im looking to get rid of this timeshare. I read somewhere in this group someone used the Legacy program....now does it work. I am also trying to get rid of this timeshare, I awful regret. I don't know where to begin and I don't want to mess up my credit.

Jessica J.

Last edited by jessicaj201 on Dec 11, 2018 05:49 PM

Dec 13, 2018

jessicaj201 wrote:
Im looking to get rid of this timeshare. I read somewhere in this group someone used the Legacy program....now does it work. I am also trying to get rid of this timeshare, I awful regret. I don't know where to begin and I don't want to mess up my credit.

Westgate (aka Wastegate) "Legacy" program is essentially a "deedback" option, adopted only during the past year (DRI and Wyndham also now have "deedback" programs). As with any timeshare company, there must be no unpaid loan balance and no unpaid maintenance fees in order to even be eligible for consideration. In the case of Westgate, you also have to pay them $950.00 (it may be even more now, but that's the last figure I know of). They will walk you through details of relinquishing your deed. Contact Wastegate directly if you are eligible and further interested. If you have any unpaid loan balance or unpaid maintenance fees, don't even bother --- no developer or resort will consider a deedback request until / unless the account is completely paid up and current.

Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 13, 2018 05:56 PM

Dec 26, 2018

Ken, you are very helpful. Thanks! My question is in regards to a timeshare that is now in a irrevocable trust as a result of my mother's passing. I am the administrator and would like to close the trust. The timeshare is the only remaining asset in the trust and Mom has been gone now over 2 years. The account is current (in fact we just paid the 2019 maintenance). The property is in the Westgate facility just off the Disney resort. Should we pursue the "deedback"? Some have said to just stop paying since there would be no credit issues for me personally. I'd be OK with that except I don't want a court proceeding down the road if Westgate were to take route for non-payment.

Robert C.
Dec 28, 2018

robertc1852 wrote:
Ken, you are very helpful. Thanks! My question is in regards to a timeshare that is now in a irrevocable trust as a result of my mother's passing. I am the administrator and would like to close the trust. The timeshare is the only remaining asset in the trust and Mom has been gone now over 2 years. The account is current (in fact we just paid the 2019 maintenance). The property is in the Westgate facility just off the Disney resort. Should we pursue the "deedback"? Some have said to just stop paying since there would be no credit issues for me personally. I'd be OK with that except I don't want a court proceeding down the road if Westgate were to take route for non-payment.

If there is a irrevocable trust involved, then there was / is also (presumably, anyhow) an estate planning attorney involved somewhere in the picture. I would respectfully suggest that you have a conversation directly with said attorney, since he / she likely has informed insight and knowledge into whether the trust can be terminated while still containing an "asset" (...which, ironically, is actually a worthless financial liability, not an "asset" at all). Input from Internet discussion forums, however well-intentioned, is not a good basis upon which to make important decisions of potential long term personal financial and / or legal impact. Good Luck!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 02, 2019 02:47 AM

Jan 04, 2019

I'm other person who has fallen into Westgate's never ending story of deceit and living to regret it. Being a Canadian, will it cause as much difficulty for me, such as foreclosure and damage my credit report if I simply fail to continue making my monthly payments. Maintance is currently paid up until the end of 2019.

E. L. Y-C
Jan 05, 2019

elleny19 wrote:
Being a Canadian, will it cause as much difficulty for me, such as foreclosure and damage my credit report if I simply fail to continue making my monthly payments. Maintance is currently paid up until the end of 2019.

The only difficulty it might cause you is that you will face a barrage of collection calls and letters. You can ignore them if you want. Most of them are idle threats.

Lance C.
Jan 08, 2019

Just a reminder that Westgate now has a "deedback" program, which they call "Legacy". If a Westgate timeshare is fully paid off (i.e., no unpaid loan balance) and all maintenance fees are paid up to date, for $950.00 (the last figure that I knew of, anyhow) Westgate will accept a "deedback". That $950.00 is a tough pill to swallow, of course, but the simple fact and harsh reality is that Westgate ownerships are essentially completely worthless in the resale market, so options are limited if you truly want "out" --- quickly, easily, permanently and without being harassed by collection efforts while on the road to inevitable foreclosure for non-payment of fees.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 08, 2019 02:19 PM

Jan 10, 2019

Can a lawyer not get you out of your contract?

Vicki S.
Jan 10, 2019

We just made our first monthly payment and are deeply regretting the purchase. I was wanting to know if you know anything about the Wesley financial group based out of Tennessee. They say they have a 100 percent money back guarantee to cancel the timeshare and are accredited by the bbb. Do you know anything about them. If not them could hiring a lawyer get you out of this mess. We owe 11,000 and just started paying and know we have been lied to and now all we are getting is a big run around from westgate. We are 3 months over the cancellation period.

Vicki S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.