General Discussion

How do you know all ads are legit?

Mar 06, 2018

I am an interested person in renting a Redweek, however, how do you know it is not a scam when the price is very low. How do you know for sure that this is a real owner who is renting out his unit? When the ad does not have Verified next to it, does it mean it could be a scam and not to rent? Thank you

Joan L.
Mar 06, 2018

Here, check out this link. This might help.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/sticky-how-to-verify-that-a-rental-is-legit-when-you-are-the-renter.109479/

Lance C.
Mar 06, 2018

THANK YOU! The reason why I asked about this is because there was a Princeville, Kauai add that said 32.00 night. 225.00/wk. I contacted the owner....hey I would have rented all 20 weeks available for that great price, but when he got back to me he said it was 225.00/night. Made more sense! I will check out the website you suggested. I have rented through Redweek and have never had a problem but there is always a first. Did not know how to be sure the ads are all legit. Thanks again!

Joan L.
Mar 07, 2018

Ads being "RedWeek verified" simply means that the owner has paid an additional fee for RedWeek to independently confirm details of the ownership, week, unit, etc. Anyone placing an ad on RedWeek has first paid for a membership by a (traceable) method and has then also paid to place an ad. Scammers don't want to be identified or traced, so they much prefer anonymous (and free) venues like Craigslist instead.

Even if an advertised week is not "RedWeek verified", you can always ask the advertiser for some information with which you can independently call the resort and verify the provided details for yourself. A resort will never actually offer or provide any owner information to any inquiring non-owner (privacy laws and protection), but most (not all) resorts will at least confirm information that you have already obtained on your own before calling the resort for independent verification of details which have already been provided to you directly by the owner.

All things considered, I personally think that RedWeek is one of the best and safest venues available anywhere for being on either side of a timeshare rental. The RedWeek site has consistently served me well in that regard for some years now. I greatly appreciate not having to deal with spammers and scammers and other parasites of ill intent, as I have absolutely no tolerance for such people.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 09, 2018 03:56 AM

Mar 08, 2018

Thank you! Your info has helped me feel at ease when booking!

Joan L.
Mar 08, 2018

All you have to do is ask the owner of the timeshare to forward you a copy of his maintenance fee bill which should verify his name and address so if you send the payment to this address you are paying the owner directly.

Paulette R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.