Marriott's Frenchman's Cove

Marriott special "Hurricane Fee"?

Jun 24, 2018

We are among the original owners of the Frenchman's Cove. The ever increasing fees associated with the unit are beginning to get out of hand. Also, it appears that Marriott is taking advantage of the hurricane to assess yet more fees on the owners. Our fees went up by over $600 this year and they say its an Hurricane assessment. Well our exorbitant maintenance fees cover hurricane insurance so I am questioning why the fees went up especially by that much? I think that we (the Timeshare owners) are paying for the repairs to the Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Hotel.

All of these fees, expenses, taxes combined with Marriott doing nothing to help you out with selling your timeshare etc... have greatly tarnished an otherwise beautiful experience in the Virgin Islands.....It's a real shame.

Question 1: Why are we paying $900 a year in property taxes (gold week) to the USVI, shouldn't that be assessed as part of our maintenance "FEES" like all other Marriott timeshares? ? I don't think any other Timeshares pay separate property taxes....Plus if you do the math of the Property tax assessment, extrapolated out to 52 weeks, they have each unit assessed at close to 3 Million dollars....

Question 2: Are people afraid to go to St. Thomas now for some reason? We are trying to rent our week this year and have priced it CHEAP, no hits at all. Look at the rentals on Redweek, very few weeks have rented for some reason. They normally are somewhat difficult to rent but they used to rent after a while. This year there are hardly any units rented, like maybe 1 or 2 in the entire database. Is it because the USVI government has assessed even more fees on the Timeshares? $25 per night.

Question 3: We need to sell our timeshare as the fees, taxes etc... have more than tripled since we bought the place. Has anyone sold their unit recently? If so, could you please give us some advice? I have contact a few very honest realtors as part of the LTRBA which is VERY reputable. I just want to see if anyone has had any luck with selling a gold week recently and can offer advice.

Thanks so much, GR

George P.
Aug 21, 2018

In some jurisdictions, such as California and U.S. Virgin Islands, the tax authority bills the owner property taxes directly, thus the property tax is not included in the annual Maintenance Fees. However, I don't understand the amount of your taxes unless you own several weeks,, although we have not received our tax bill for this year yet, so I may be in for a shock..

The Maintenance fees are higher due to a special assessment to cover excess costs above the Cove's insurance deductibles. And while those cost were high i would expect them drop; if not, we should all be concerned.

Stefan H.
Oct 10, 2018

georger301 wrote:
We are among the original owners of the Frenchman's Cove. The ever increasing fees associated with the unit are beginning to get out of hand. Also, it appears that Marriott is taking advantage of the hurricane to assess yet more fees on the owners. Our fees went up by over $600 this year and they say its an Hurricane assessment. Well our exorbitant maintenance fees cover hurricane insurance so I am questioning why the fees went up especially by that much? I think that we (the Timeshare owners) are paying for the repairs to the Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Hotel.

All of these fees, expenses, taxes combined with Marriott doing nothing to help you out with selling your timeshare etc... have greatly tarnished an otherwise beautiful experience in the Virgin Islands.....It's a real shame.

Question 1: Why are we paying $900 a year in property taxes (gold week) to the USVI, shouldn't that be assessed as part of our maintenance "FEES" like all other Marriott timeshares? ? I don't think any other Timeshares pay separate property taxes....Plus if you do the math of the Property tax assessment, extrapolated out to 52 weeks, they have each unit assessed at close to 3 Million dollars....

Question 2: Are people afraid to go to St. Thomas now for some reason? We are trying to rent our week this year and have priced it CHEAP, no hits at all. Look at the rentals on Redweek, very few weeks have rented for some reason. They normally are somewhat difficult to rent but they used to rent after a while. This year there are hardly any units rented, like maybe 1 or 2 in the entire database. Is it because the USVI government has assessed even more fees on the Timeshares? $25 per night.

Question 3: We need to sell our timeshare as the fees, taxes etc... have more than tripled since we bought the place. Has anyone sold their unit recently? If so, could you please give us some advice? I have contact a few very honest realtors as part of the LTRBA which is VERY reputable. I just want to see if anyone has had any luck with selling a gold week recently and can offer advice.

Thanks so much, GR

Hello George,

I think I can recomend you a friend who help me out with something similar.

VR

Vanessa R.
Oct 17, 2018

Just got our bill for 2019 and yes, the fees are as high as 2018! It is pricing us out of enjoying our timeshare and if anyone asks me..I tell them run the other way.

Judith A.
May 14, 2019

Would you be willing to share? I can't even rent it anymore!

Laura K.
Aug 08, 2019

Good afternoon,

We are wanting to visit St Thomas, would you have the week of July 23 - August 1, 2020 available? If so, what would be the cost.

PalmaDelMar

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.