Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Selling or giving away timeshare

Aug 09, 2019

I have a floating week for a 2bd at Ridge Tahoe. I get the feeling there isn't much of a market out there for selling, but I think there are also a lot of scammers (sellmytimesharenow ??) who claim there is, take a fee, and then nothing happens.

The resort company said they'll take it on to sell at no fee, but it's a first come, first serve, and they estimate about 2 years to sell. I don't mind depositing it with a broker who doesn't charge an upfront fee -- the resort recommended one that *might* take it on in a few months -- but I might also just give it to charity.

Questions:

1. Where is a list of reputable brokers who'll collect only upon sale and not to exceed sale price -- I don't mind making $0.

2. How does one go about giving it to charity at no (or little) cost to me?

Appreciate any help with this.

Tex T.
Aug 10, 2019

I would get on line with the resort at once . You never know when they will take it back .Put your name on the list and hope they take you soon .

Don P.
Aug 10, 2019

text wrote:
1. Where is a list of reputable brokers who'll collect only upon sale and not to exceed sale price -- I don't mind making $0.

2. How does one go about giving it to charity at no (or little) cost to me?

Appreciate any help with this.

Yours is a low-value one. Most brokers will charge a minimum $1500 commission and yours is likely not worth that much on the resale market.

We also advise against using charities because they will charge you thousands of dollars to take it off your hands. Try asking the resort if it will take your unit back.

Lance C.
Aug 11, 2019

Hi Tex,

Hopefully your resort will take your unit back. Otherwise you could do the following:

1: If your timeshare is paid off you could give it away for free on RedWeek or at the Timeshare Users Group (TUG): https://www.redweek.com/featured/bargain-timeshare-resales Or https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/free-timeshare-giveaways-and-bargain-deals.55/ And https://tug2.com/timeshare-classifieds/search/results.aspx?All-Bargain-Basement-Ads&ForSale=True&PriceMin=0.01&PriceMax=500

2: It appears your unit floats. You could reserve a good week for next year and rent out your unit until you get rid of it.

Carol P.
Jun 02, 2020

I have a 2 bd lockout (deeded) at the Ridge, which has been listed with their own Resort Realty since October 2017 for their "buyback" program. Their timeframe was 12-18 months, but they keep extending this, giving every excuse in the book. Now I'm into the third year of their "buyback" program and sick of paying dues, which are higher than what I would pay to rent a unit. Then in November 2019 the Ridge Resorts was sold to Holiday Inn Club Vacations, which could've been behind my buyback agreement being extended for so long. Have tried multiple avenues to sell or give away, etc., without luck.

Krissy N.

Last edited by krissyn4 on Jul 04, 2020 03:40 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.