Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Marriott vacation club points

Sep 10, 2019

I have been offered a bundled package where i get about 7,000 points (4,000 direct points and 3,000 for buying a week in their porperty which can be exchanged every year to points with a lower maintenance fee of about 0.50 cents per point per year ($ 3500 per year total) for a price of about 56,000 from marriott resales.

is this a good offer ?

Sujith K.

Last edited by sujithk on Sep 10, 2019 03:43 PM

Sep 25, 2019

NO -- you could invest the $ 56,000 and double that in 4-5 years . you can vacation most places for what the yearly fees will cost you - just saying . people with money don't buy timeshares. there is a reason why thousands are for sale on the secondary market - buyers remorse - also financing this would not be wise, that's how they entice you. banks do not want to get burned either and that's why they will not finance this stuff. it has no real tangible asset value. the timeshare people that sell this product are usually young and motivated by commission - even they don't understand the fine print on the contracts and that's what gets you into trouble . you will loose 70 - 80 percent when you go to sell it. the timeshare vacation clubs don't want it back either. buying points is a joke - it is just a way for them to manipulate their funny money monopoly currency. invest your money into your family not prepaid vacations and by all means do not put yourself into more debt

John P.

Last edited by johnp2144 on Sep 26, 2019 04:40 PM

Sep 29, 2019

I went to hear the pitch for a Caribbean Marriott timeshare a few years ago. The Gold week was offered at $40,000 with a special discount of $8000 for a total price of &32,000. I was assured by the salesman that Marriott would always protect the value of my investment by exercising Marriott’s right of first refusal to buy any timeshares being sold for less than the market value of my investment. I signed a contract but decided to exit the contract within the window to cancel the contract. That week, I saw a Gold week at the same Marriott timeshare property for sale on e-Bay for only $8000. I put an offer in fully expecting Marriott to exercise their right of first refusal and buy the week for $8000. Marriott declined their right allowing me to buy it for $8000, 25% of the purchase price I was recently offered. But Marriott did not permit me to exercise the full rights of the original owner. I was not allowed to exchange my week for other Marriott properties as was permitted to the original buyer, nor could I exchange my ownership interest for “point” in the Marriott system. The year of the Hurricane, Marriott canceled the week i paid in advance. Marriott me several times to cancel my week in Dec because the resort would not be opened for use for several months. The Timeshare Association should have distributed the expenses lost by owner whose week were cancelled among the greater group. Those who used their weeks received full value, those who were denied fair use of their paid timeshare week, received no restitution. Your timeshare is only worth what it is being sold for on the secondary market. I used my 2 bedroom timeshare three times and lost two years, one to the hurricane and one to Marriott’s closing out my ability to schedule a week. I would seriously consider the advice given you by the prior reply. Caveat emptor! Buyer beware! If you want to invest in Marriott, buy their stock, not their timeshare at 5-6 times their real market price. My humble opinion.

Brett A.
Oct 30, 2019

I'm interested in renting out my Marriott vacation points/resorts and getting some income? How does this process work?

Dulcy G.
Oct 30, 2019

Dulcy: You would need to reserve a week with your points, then post that week for rent. You can find out more about the two posting options by going to the Resources section (https://www.redweek.com/resources/rental-process/owner) or you can use the "Contact Us" link (Contact Us) at the bottom of any page.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Last edited by phyl21 on Oct 30, 2019 08:03 PM

Oct 30, 2019

dulcyg wrote:
I'm interested in renting out my Marriott vacation points/resorts and getting some income? How does this process work?

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/sticky-how-to-rent-your-timeshare.43/

Lance C.
Aug 14, 2023

Don’t buy any more points! Right now they don’t have enough inventory for all the point people have!!!

Barbara M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.