Ask RedWeek

Selling my Time Share in Cabos San Lucas. It is a 2 bedroom Penthouse at very well renowned property.

Jan 23, 2020

I need some guidance on how I can sell it and get out of that timeshare. There is nothing wrong with the resort or service but just want to sell and cut some expenses. I have no idea how it will work me being in States and timeshare in Mexico. We have tried using the local timeshare resale agency in mexico refereed by one of the rep at the resort but turned out to be fraud and they just sat on the unit for good year and never responded till the contract expired. We did paid $600 upfront fees to the agent. I am getting bit skeptical for being burned few times on using red week as a median to list my timeshare. We have had good experience in the past renting it out, but it is different now as thinking of selling it. Please advise what will be my best option to sell it.

Rinit P.
Jan 23, 2020

I don't know who this "agent" is but it is likely a scam if you paid upfront to sell your unit. Chances are it has very little resale value.

If you think it has some resale value, then try listing it for sale here on RedWeek or other reputable sites such as E-Bay, My resort Network, or Timeshare Users Group.

However, most Mexican timeshares have zero resale value. If that is the case and you just want to cut your losses, you can just stop paying maintenance fees and the resort will just terminate your membership (I'm assuming it's a Right-to-Use and not deeded property since it is located in Mexico).

Lance C.
Jan 24, 2020

lancec13 wrote:
I don't know who this "agent" is but it is likely a scam if you paid upfront to sell your unit. Chances are it has very little resale value.

If you think it has some resale value, then try listing it for sale here on RedWeek or other reputable sites such as E-Bay, My resort Network, or Timeshare Users Group.

However, most Mexican timeshares have zero resale value. If that is the case and you just want to cut your losses, you can just stop paying maintenance fees and the resort will just terminate your membership (I'm assuming it's a Right-to-Use and not deeded property since it is located in Mexico).

This is all accurate information and excellent advice.

It's often very difficult for people to accept that something for which they paid (and are still paying) good money likely has little (or no) monetary value and very few (if any) interested buyers.

Poster should, as advised, make an effort to find a new "recipient" (assuming the RTU contract can even be transferred at all at a reasonable figure), but not by paying anyone another dime "upfront". Once you pay upfront money, there is obviously no further motivation to help you --- they already have your money. OP should also get psychologically prepared to consider just walking way and then paying not another penny. Whatever money has been paid to date is obviously gone and gone forever. That's sad and unfortunate, but still no reason to continue sending good money after bad. Food for thought...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 24, 2020 05:46 AM

Jan 24, 2020

One thing you can do in the meantime is to use it or rent it out . Like you said it's a very nice resort . I let my family members and friends use my Las Vegas timeshare . I never have trouble renting it out . Even if you can't recover your full maintenance fees you can limit your loses . I always advise people to purchase a deeded week at a resort that they are going to use every year and not trade . I love my Las Vegas timeshare and I have explained it to my heirs before they I put it in my trust .

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.