Ask RedWeek

accessing books and records

Jan 28, 2020

I am entitled under Louisiana law to view the timeshare books and records. What does the term "books and records" include? Am I allowed to make copies of the books and records?

Susan L.
Jan 28, 2020

susanl967 wrote:
I am entitled under Louisiana law to view the timeshare books and records. What does the term "books and records" include? Am I allowed to make copies of the books and records?

The laws (and the whole, strange "Napoleonic law" association) in Louisiana are truly unique. It is extremely unlikely that you will ever actually get a well informed, knowledgeable answer to this very general Louisiana question here in the RedWeek discussion forums.

You would likely have to have a conversation with a timeshare-experienced, Louisiana-licensed attorney if you really and truly want to get an accurate and detailed response about those alleged "laws". Good luck with that....

I know nothing about Louisiana law, beyond being aware of the widely held belief that it is strange and unique. That much clearly stated, when it comes to timeshares, "books and records" in general would include the underlying "Condominium Covenants and Restrictions" (public information, very lengthy and usually filed as a matter of record with the County where a timeshare is located, also more commonly just referred to as "governing documents"). Internal owner identity info and budgetary data is not public information that can (or should) ever be easily accessed. Board meeting minutes and summaries and Board member terms and past election results may be available for viewing. There may also be "bylaws" written for any given resort) and they too might fall under that very vague umbrella of "books and records".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 30, 2020 06:19 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.