General Discussion

tourist "rights" in Mexico

Feb 09, 2020

My wife and I love going to Mexico. We are on the points system with RCI and can barely use the points we have. I wonder how to avoid the time share hard-sell while there. Not at the airport or walking around town; nothing can be done about that. I hate being bothered at the resort, always as soon as I arrive and before I know anything about the place. It seems like you are at their mercy. I have read comments where people say they were "required" to attend. If they try to charge penalize me in some way for telling them to take a hike, do I have any recourse? What can or can't they "require" me to do?

TJ
Feb 09, 2020

The only way they require you to attend a presentation is if you bought some sort of a discount accommodations package and it was stipulated in the agreement when you bought it. For instance, they might offer you a four-night stay at a resort for only $99. Of course, the small print will say something like you have to attend the presentation with your spouse and an active credit card in good standing.

Again though, this has to be clearly disclosed in the agreement when you sign up. If you have booked a stay with RCI points, then, despite what the front desk clerk or parking concierge tells you, you are not required to attend any presentation or owners' update.

Lance C.
Feb 09, 2020

Thanks for your response. So, what you are saying applies whether you are in the US or Mexico?

TJ
Feb 09, 2020

franleaj wrote:
So, what you are saying applies whether you are in the US or Mexico?

As far as I know, Yes. You are never required to attend a presentation or owners' update unless you purchased an accommodations package and that contract must clearly state that it involves a timeshare presentation.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.