Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Is serious illness or death enough to get out of a timeshare contract?

Jun 16, 2020

I am trying to help my mother-in-law get out a deeded, fixed week timeshare that she has owned for years and it's paid off. But now she is in an assisted living facility and will not use it again. It has no resale value and a listing on RW for the past 6 months at $1 has failed to produce a single query. And no, the resort will not accept a deedback

Is there really no way for her to get out of the contract? And if not, what happens when she passes? Will they hit up my wife for the maintenance?

Would she be better off just stopping maintenance payments?

Thanks

Andrew D.
Jun 16, 2020

I would contact the resort (more specifically, its Homeowners' Association) again and explain the situation. This time, however, make it clear that your mother-in-law is not going to pay another dime in maintenance fees so it would be in the resort's best interests to take the unit back. The HOA does not want to go through the hassle and expense of a foreclosure. Perhaps offer to pay closing costs.

You said you had it listed on RedWeek with no queries. Try also listing it on Timeshare Users Group's (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com) Bargain Deals section. There you can advertise for free that you want to give it away. If you offer to pay closing costs and maybe even the next maintenance fee, you could get some takers. E-Bay, My Resort Network, and Craigslist are also reputable listing sites. With Craigslist, just be cautious with all the spam and scam attempts.

And no, the resort cannot go after your wife for maintenance fees.

Lance C.
Jun 16, 2020

I agree with Lance . Contact your home resort and explain to them that you will not be making anymore maintenance fee payments in the future and it is in their best interest to work with you to avoid unnecessary expenses . I got rid of two timeshares in 2011 that way . I told them in no other terms that I was going to get them out of my name and I din't care if the next owner paid their maintenance fees and assessments . I must have been convincing because within a few weeks I was rid of them . It was quick and inexpensive . After everything went through I sent gift cards to the two nice ladies that processed the deed backs . Make it your mission to get of her out of her contract . Good luck .

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.