Ask RedWeek

Cancelling within the 10 days

Aug 26, 2020

Hello, I bought a timeshare contract through Marriott. I decided I didn’t need it and looked at my contracts rcession period. I’m in Florida so it’s 10 days. They gave me a tablet when I signed. I completed my letter and sent it out on day three. I mailed a box with the tablet in it along with the letter inside certified and return receipt requested. Should I’ve sent the letter separately? Those who have cancelled from Marriott how long did you wait till you got a response?

Brianna S.

Last edited by briannas34 on Aug 26, 2020 09:12 PM

Aug 27, 2020

Just hold onto your receipts . I don't think mailing them separately makes a difference . To make sure mail the letter again as long as you're still in the 10 day cancellation period . A few dollars for postage will give you peace of mind .

Don P.
Aug 27, 2020

Thank you! I’m going to the post office right now.

Brianna S.
Aug 27, 2020

"Those who have cancelled from Marriott how long did you wait till you got a response?"

Keep in mind Marriott is under no obligation to respond to you. It is only required to process your rescission. By law, Marriott has up to 45 days to refund your money but rarely do the timeshare companies take that long to refund the money and honor your rescission request. Therefore, if you don't get your refund quickly, it won't be necessary to contact the Marriott or the resort. As well, be careful of any incoming unknown phone calls while your request in is process. It might be people at Marriott trying to get you to change your mind about rescinding.

Lance C.
Aug 27, 2020

If you used your credit card you can dispute the charge if Marriott takes longer than you think they should take to refund your money . Check with your credit card provider to find out how long you have to dispute the charge .

Don P.
Aug 27, 2020

I didn’t use my credit card at all because they waived my deposit.

Brianna S.
Aug 27, 2020

I sent my second letter earlier today!

Brianna S.
Aug 27, 2020

Thank you for this! Definitely gives me piece of mind.

Brianna S.
Aug 28, 2020

How do I know if they accept my letter?

Brianna S.
Aug 28, 2020

As long as you sent it via the method stipulated in your rescission instructions which is likely USPS certified mail with a receipt requested, and the receipt shows that you mailed it within 10 days, then they will have to rescind your purchase. Monitor your credit card activity (assuming you made the purchase on your credit card) to see if or when the reversal of the charges occurred. Remember, they have up to 45 days to refund you your money.

Lance C.
Aug 28, 2020

Yes I did certified and a receipt request. But I never provided them a credit card.

Brianna S.
Nov 03, 2020

My dad owned a Divi timeshare, we’ve used it for many years, then a hurricane went through the area of Saint Croix where the condo was located. Three years later they fixed it up and a new company called DIVI management took over and they increased the maintenance from $600-$1040. Is that normal?

Rita B.
Nov 04, 2020

Maintenance fees almost always increase each year. Going from $600 per year to over $1000 seems a little much but it's not unheard of, especially when a hurricane ravages the area and does a lot of damage.

Lance C.
Nov 04, 2020

Usually a timeshare will charge and assessment for hurricane damage . This timeshare probably decided to raise the maintenance fees instead . Like Lance stated someone has to pay for the storm damage . I had to pay an assessment after a storm on one of my timeshares years ago . It's a common practice . If I were you I would contact the timeshare to see if the increase is going to be permanent or will it go back down after the storm damage is paid for .

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.