Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Does RCI allow rentals?

Oct 03, 2020

I was recently told it is against the RCI rules to rent out a time share. They can be transferred to friends and family, for a fee of course. I guess as a potential renter I may make new friends?

Stephen B
Oct 04, 2020

You cannot rent out an interval that you acquired through an RCI exchange. If you are caught, the resort will turn the renter away and your RCI membership will likely be suspended or terminated. Read your RCI member's policies.

Lance C.
Oct 05, 2020

Thanks Lance. I guess the clarification is reserve the week through my home resort which is ok with renting. Yes, RCI does have rules against renting weeks obtained through an exchange. Thank you.

Stephen B
Oct 05, 2020

If you're looking to " reserve the week through [your] home resort which is ok with renting", how does RCI come into the picture?

Lance C.
Oct 06, 2020

It doesn't, that's why I clarified booking the week through the home resort could have different rules and therefore more flexibility with your week. If you exchange through RCI they do not allow that. It was my confusion from the beginning thinking the various sites with timeshare rentals are coming from some exchange weeks where they are probably coming from home resorts direct booking and not exchange.

Stephen B
Oct 06, 2020

Fwiw, it's always wise to ask anyone advertising a timeshare rental on ANY site whether or not they are the actual OWNER of the week being advertised.

Both RCI and II clearly prohibit renting out any weeks acquired via "exchange". Accordingly, It's not too smart to participate in a clearly prohibited transaction in which occupancy could actually be denied by the resort at check-in (and, by the way, the violating advertiser's exchange company membership can also be unilaterally terminated).

RedWeek's "verified" option, although a procedural pain (as well as an additional expense) for an advertising owner, provides assurance that the advertised week is indeed OWNED by the person posting the rental ad. I don't frequently rent out our owned timeshare weeks, but whenever I do so I gladly pay the additional fee to have my ad be "RedWeek verified", so that any prospective tenant knows with certainty that I OWN the advertised week(s) and that I can therefore LEGITIMATELY offer my week(s) for rent if / when I choose to do so.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 19, 2020 06:27 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.