Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Paying by credit card/ through view/book

Dec 12, 2020

Hi, We have rented several times and always used this feature. The rental that we are looking at this year does not. How difficult is it for an owner to change the payment optiont to allow credit card payments?

Ellen E.
Dec 12, 2020

It depends entirely upon who is advertising and handling the rental (i.e., whether it's owner direct or RedWeek serviced).

Most non-commercial / non-business everyday people who might occasionally rent out a timeshare week on their own do not have (or want) any ability to accept credit cards as payment for rentals (or for anything else, for that matter). Most non-commercial people would have no particular reason or motivation to ever get set up to accept credit cards as payment --- for anything.

Also, tenants who pay for rentals by credit card through Redweek or through commercial rental entities have been known on occasion to dispute the credit card charge with their card issuer at the beginning or middle of a rental (sometimes even after completing) a rental) --- virtually always for bogus reasons. While the "landlord" almost always prevails in such unfounded "disputes", the delay can still add a month (or two months, or three) to when the underlying timeshare owner actually receives payment for the rental. That is plainly unacceptable, by any standard or measure.

I occasionally (very infrequently) rent out one of the several timeshare weeks that we own. We have no ability to accept credit cards for payment --- and I would not be inclined to accept a credit card as payment even if we did have that ability, for the reasons already specified. I'm sure that other timeshare owners can cite even more reasons for staying away from credit cards for rental payment.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 13, 2020 04:16 PM

Dec 12, 2020

You can use Paypal as a substitute .

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.