Ask RedWeek

How does it work when part of share loses good standing?

Dec 17, 2020

Hello,

A relative just learned of a balloon payment due on 500,000 points that somebody convinced her to take out a big loan for. She has fallen ill and can no longer work. She can't pay it so the plan is to take the credit hit.

Separately, she owns 250,000 points that are paid for and all maintenance fees have always been paid. This is all through Holiday Inn Club. She simply has no other choice that I'm aware of so what happens if she gets well enough to travel and tries to use the property/points she has owned for a long time? Will they tell her she can't use them or make it a big hassle? If that is the case, I see no point in continuing to pay the maintenance fees for those.

Any advice or thoughts would be really appreciated.

Charles O.
Dec 18, 2020

With all due respect, this is a question best asked directly of (and answered directly by) an authorized representative of HICV (Holiday Inn Club Vacations). No one here in these forums has the credentials or authority to speak for HICV regarding HICV policies and practices, so I would take any opinions or speculations offered here on this particular issue with a grain of salt. I would strongly suggest getting accurate information straight from the horse's mouth by contacting HICV directly. Also, "chain" policies on deedbacks can (and do) change, so someone's experience last year (or even last month) may be very different from the options and outcomes currently available.

One would certainly hope that separate purchases / ownerships might be regarded and treated entirely separately, but that hope may or may not be realized by the actual HICV position on the matter. Good luck!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 21, 2020 12:37 PM

Dec 18, 2020

I appreciate that, KC. Thank you. I intend to do that when I attempt to negotiate a more peaceable way out with them. Not expecting them to be very helpful, however, I wondered what I can glean from others with experience beforehand.

The best way I can think of to find out what happens is to try booking a vacation but there are no plans for that. She feels badly about this and I wondered if I could reassure her she or her family could still use what she had previously. I'll attempt to get clarification from HICV before advising her to withhold further maintenance payments. She is unable to communicate with them at present.

Charles O.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.