Timeshare Companies

Need Advice. How to tell if something is a fraud / scam trap.

Nov 12, 2021

Hello,

I'm a new renter on Redweek. Owner with Club Wyndham. I have a property listing that is currently active, but Redweek will not verify it due to the the "blackout" dates. (Even though I have correspondence from Wyndham, saying I'm eligible to use my 2 Guest reservations - Different situation)

So, I can't use the online booking options with payment and contract setup via Redweek. But, I received an inquiry to rent my location, and we agreed on a price. They want me to send an invoice and method of payment so they can reserve.

Here are a few things that concern me about this communication.

- From Name does not match email address. (ex. From: John Smith - But email is Mary.Lee@domain.com) - From Name has been changed once already just between our conversations. - They provide a name and physical address they would like to be on the invoice, but are not even close to the email From Name or email address.

I do not plan on continuing with this engagement, but would like to know how someone may be scamming by providing these details. Had I given them an invoice, and asked them to pay. What could they do to harm my accounts? I've heard of cancellation and refunds to different paying accounts.

Just trying to look out for these things.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff W.
Jun 14, 2022

I can't speak to your particular situation, but prior to using Redweek's verify program, I got many inquiries that I fielded myself. Sometimes by talking to the potential renter, you can get a sense of where they are coming from. Often scammers write a long request that thay want the time for family due to blah, blah, etc. Most legitimate requests are straight forward and simply are looking to rent a timeshare. If you are suspect of this renter, go with your gut. That is what I have done in past.

Ann G
Jun 14, 2022

Good advice

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.