Ask RedWeek

Hurricane Ian

Sep 28, 2022

As an owner of MVC and rented out my week @ Crystal Shores in Marco Island that has now been evacuated what happens next? Is the renter still obligated for the payment?

Jamie D.
Sep 28, 2022

I cannot and do not speak for RedWeek and I do not know what your particular contractual arrangements might be.

That being said, it is certainly fair to say that if a contracted rental cannot actually be delivered by an owner (for any reason), then the would-be occupant obviously does not owe that owner a cent (regardless of unforeseen circumstances) when occupancy is not available at all (which is a very different situation from a renter cancelling on a habitable property). The failure of an owner to fulfill their end of a rental agreement by providing habitable occupancy to a renter is certainly unfortunate and surely unintended, but a 100% refund of any and all money paid must nonetheless be issued if actual occupancy cannot be "delivered" by the owner.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 29, 2022 11:13 AM

Sep 28, 2022

If you used RedWeek Online Booking for the rental transaction, then your rental agreement states the following:

". If the Unit is uninhabitable or inaccessible on the day the Rental Period commences by reason of flood, fire, storm, force majeure, or other natural disaster, and a satisfactory substitute is not made available, the total Rent Payment will be refunded to the Renter. If the Renter is required to evacuate the Unit at any point during the Rental Term, the Renter is entitled to a pro-rated refund for unused nights from the point of evacuation order through the remainder of the Rental Period. In such events, the Owner will have no further liability to the Renter. Renter's inability to complete their travel for any other reason beyond the Owner's control (including, but not limited to, illness, airline interruptions, job loss, government mandate or restrictions) are the sole responsibility of the Renter, and the Cancellation Policy in section 11 applies. Renter is encouraged to purchase trip interruption and cancellation insurance for such matters."

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.