Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Renting An Exchanged Unit

Dec 16, 2022

I’m a newbie to RedWeek. I used Marriott Vacation Club points to get an Interval “External Exchange Certificate.” I traded the Certificate for a week in a Welk Resort. I received an inquiry from an individual through Red Week. The person is requesting that I send him “the resort guest authorization form” so he can review and fill it out. Is this a scam? I thought I rent my week first, collect payment, and then purchase a “guest certificate” thru Interval once I have the name of the actual guest, and Interval issues the guest certificate.

Anne & David L.
Dec 16, 2022

annel145 wrote:
I’m a newbie to RedWeek. I used Marriott Vacation Club points to get an Interval “External Exchange Certificate.” I traded the Certificate for a week in a Welk Resort. I received an inquiry from an individual through Red Week. The person is requesting that I send him “the resort guest authorization form” so he can review and fill it out. Is this a scam? I thought I rent my week first, collect payment, and then purchase a “guest certificate” thru Interval once I have the name of the actual guest, and Interval issues the guest certificate.

Not a "RedWeek issue", but by written terms and conditions of Interval (and RCI) membership, it is clearly prohibited to rent out any week obtained as an exchange. I am not the "Timeshare Police" (and I don't play them on TV); I am merely pointing out this long - standing fact. Yes, people try to do it anyhow, sometimes they get away with it, sometimes not. Membership suspension or membership termination (and denial of occupancy for the renter) are potential consequences of getting caught.

That said, the customary practice for obtaining a Guest Certificate is for the owner to provide the exchange company with all occupant-to-be identity details (and the GC fee) for a Guest Certificate for the occupant-to-be. I am not aware of the existence of any "resort guest occupant form to be reviewed and filled out" by a owner- alternative occupant. This odd inquiry could be someone of ill intent just "Phishing" for YOUR personal information, or perhaps it's a watchful II rep monitoring timeshare sites for (prohibited) exchange rental activity, or it could just be an innocent and entirely legitimate (but procedurally clueless) wannabe renter.

I certainly cannot and will not advise you what to do here, other than to respectfully suggest that you "proceed with caution".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 20, 2022 06:33 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.