Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Buying timeshares (even resale)

May 18, 2007

megy wrote:
deborah820 wrote:
jenniferc190 wrote:
I am interested in purchasing the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas. I am fairly new at the timeshare concept and will appreicate all opinions. I am quite impressed with the SPG program and am already a gold member.

I am wondering if I should wait for the North Villas resales to become more available or purchase "pre owned" ones on the existing buildings. I am also wondering if I am better off purchasing the "resale" ones from the developer. I do realize that the price will be higher the then general resale market but it may offer some perks that I may be interested in. Also, I find the annual fees + taxes being almost $2000 is quite high, I am wondering if I am better off just renting. Thanks for you thoughts on this.

This is what I have done, I purchased a resale at a location that I wanted. I used an online timeshare resale site. I had not one problem with them. The transfer of the deed was done with ease by them and I received it in a timely manner. I also, got this time share at a very reasonable price. My yearly fees are managable. The unit I purchased was exactly as it was told on this resale site and they made sure I understood what I was purchasing. I purchased a one bedroom in a specific location within this resort and that is exactly what I got. This Timeshare is a Starwood Resort that is also a five star Resort. I have enjoyed it two years now and I am headed for our third. The unit rents for triple what I pay in Maintenace fees in a week. The only thing with purchasing a resale with the Starwood resorts that I found the hard way is that you aren't able to use there own Starwood Network for exchange of your unit for another Starwood Resort in another location. This is Starwood's rules. Anyone with a repurchase not from the Starwood resort, such as a repurchase from a past owner you do not get the Starwood transfer or upgrade benefits. Which as an owner I feel is wrong. I do have a deeded timeshare with a red week and it also can be used as a float. But, I am not allowed to use the Starwood vacation network. So I just use RCI. That is the only drawback that I have found. I hope this helped you.

You seemed very happy with the resale organization you purchased from. Would you mind sharing the name of that company. I am wanting to sell my timeshare in Canada for medical reasons. The fellow at Timeshare Adventure sure is high pressure sales, apparently , according to him, all the paperwork and documentation to support his sales pitch. After reading this forum,,,sure does make me wonder. Would love to find out the resale company that you were so pleased with. Thanks

Marriott is the same way with their trade priority and using their hotels. You have to buy from them if you ever want to sell through them or get any of their benefites.

Chad F.
May 19, 2007

Buying timeshares (my experience)

I've recently purchased three deeded timeshare properties and will list total costs (which includes all closing, deed recording and resort transfer fees):

Each through eBay sellers. Each a 2 bedroom lock-off unit. Each an RCI Gold Crown or II 5 Star Resort.

One is an annual, fixed week 13, at V & V Bonaventure in Weston, FL a resort I stayed at as a rental last in 2006 and that I plan on using each year and not exchanging. RCI points resort this unit has not been converted. Total Aquisition Cost $889.

One is an annual, 75000 RCI Points, fixed week 44, at Sunrise Ridge in Pigeon Forge, TN a resort I have not visited and purchased for the RCI Points to be used as my exchanger for various destinations. RCI points resort this unit has been converted. Total Aquisition Cost $2172.

One is a biennial (even), floating week 1-51, at Club de Soleil in Las Vegas, NV a resort I have not visited and that I plan on using and perhaps splitting the lock-off to allow for annual use. Trades with Interval International. Total Aquisition Cost $804.

I vacation 5-6 weeks a year. I like nice accomodations and at a bargain price. These timeshares were acquired to provide high quality accomodations for at least three weeks vacation during peak travel seasons, with two fixed desired destinations and one flexible destination (not that each couldn't be exchanged).

I've been a regular timeshare vacationer to gold crown resorts for the past several years, mostly during off peak season at rates far below the maintenance fees charged for the units in which I've stayed. This is something that I will continue to do at a total cost between ($50-$150 a week).

My view is that the only timeshare worth owning is peak season/prime time ownership and that these purchases should only be made on the resale market. Off peak season should not be owned, as the same use can be obtained at a cost below the maintenance fee and there is little to no resale market should you decide to sell once acquired.

Just my experience and opinion.

James D.

Last edited by jamesd84 on May 19, 2007 01:23 PM

May 20, 2007

james, you definitely did your homework before purchasing resale. You knew exactly what you wanted and how much money you intended to invest, however I was somewhat confused by your statement below. What kind of accomodations can you get for $50 - $150 a week? You can't even stay at a Motel 6 for that amount.

jamesd84 wrote:
I've been a regular timeshare vacationer to gold crown resorts for the past several years, mostly during off peak season at rates far below the maintenance fees charged for the units in which I've stayed. This is something that I will continue to do at a total cost between ($50-$150 a week).

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on May 20, 2007 06:56 AM

May 20, 2007

jayjay wrote:
james, you definitely did your homework before purchasing resale. You knew exactly what you wanted and how much money you intended to invest, however I was somewhat confused by your statement below. What kind of accomodations can you get for $50 - $150 a week? You can't even stay at a Motel 6 for that amount.

jamesd84 wrote:

There are RCI based promotional products in the form of a certificate that provides the certificate owner a 7 night stay at an RCI resort based on availability. You can visit www.getawayweeks.com to review availability and when you find a place that you would like to stay you just call the 800 number provided and reserve. You get your VACATION CONFIRMATION letter directly from RCI.

I presume that this is excess inventory that they list at this site, but I've used them to stay at very nice locations such as Valdoro Mountain Lodge, Breckenridge, CO (2 BR, MAY); Fairfield Ocean Walk, Daytona, FL(2 BR, NOV); Fairfield Skyline Towers, Atlantic City, NJ(2 BR, both New Years and Thanksgiving week); and even Imperial, Honolulu, HI(Studio, JULY) on a return from a Japan business trip.

These certificates can be acquired at www.skyauction.com usually coupled with $100 dining certificates, future cruise discounts or future auction discounts. Skyauction has effectively increased the cost of these by about $100 this year by charging a $195 tax and service fee. Before this fee was added, you could win one of these auctions between ($125-$150), now with the additional fee you can win one between ($5-$35) and get as many as 5 sets of certificates for the winning bid (plus fees).

Under the old fee structure I've won many certificates at the $125-$150 price range and received full use of the companion $100 dinning or discount coupon. So if I've paid even $150 and use a previously acquired $100 discount coupon on this purchase, then I've effectively paid $50 for my 7 night stay.

I try to always have at least one 7 night certificate at the ready in case I see something I'd like to book, but they do expire, so there is the element of use it or loose it when you purchase them.

This is a great deal if you can make use of it.

I'm currently booked into Fairfield Skyline Towers, Atlantic City, NJ (2 BR, Thanksgiving week 11/18-11/25/07) using a certificate and have (1) certificate at the ready.

I'd love to have these same accomondations in July or August (anyone want to hook me up) but that's extremely unlikely with the certificate approach. I did like the half price via email approach that a poster described in this thread, I just might have to give that a try sometime. I hope this information is helpful.

James D.

Last edited by jamesd84 on May 22, 2007 04:32 AM

May 22, 2007

Deleted

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Jul 09, 2007 11:28 PM

May 23, 2007

phill12 stated, quoted only in pertinent part: >> In some e-bay and other sites that offer timeshare sales I found kind of hidden in rest of the information that some of these people now charge the buyer a fee incase the deal falls through because of ROFR. <<

Actually, if you read the (usually very tiny micro-font) print at the very end of many eBay ads for timeshares, eBay sellers often indicate that they will charge (or attempt to charge) a "cancellation fee" if the sale falls through for ANY reason. Whether or not they can lawfully enforce such a "cancellation fee policy" is certainly open to debate in the first place, but in any case is NOT limited merely to exercising right of first refusal.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 23, 2007 04:36 AM

May 23, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
phill12 stated, quoted only in pertinent part: >> In some e-bay and other sites that offer timeshare sales I found kind of hidden in rest of the information that some of these people now charge the buyer a fee incase the deal falls through because of ROFR. <<

Actually, if you read the (usually very tiny micro-font) print at the very end of many eBay ads for timeshares, eBay sellers often indicate that they will charge (or attempt to charge) a "cancellation fee" if the sale falls through for ANY reason. Whether or not they can lawfully enforce such a "cancellation fee policy" is certainly open to debate in the first place, but in any case is NOT limited merely to exercising right of first refusal.

Hi. I am a former real estate agent. In general, real estate terms governing a sale must be in writing and signed by all parties to the transaction to be enforceable. Legally they would have a difficult time collecting the cancelling fee relative to the timeshare bid, since there was no binding contract. It is basically a scare tactic to extract money from the buyer who has suffered "buyer's remorse" or was perhaps not serious to start with. Most states have a recission period relative to a real estate contract, where you can cancel without any penalty and the buyer's money must be returned. Stan.

stanleyf5
May 27, 2007

ken1193 wrote:

If the timeshare is located in Florida there is a ten day recission period so the eBay Buyer can back out without a fee being charged. Most of the people selling on eBay that are not licensed are not aware of this. They also do not put the recission period on their paperwork. Usually when the resort exercises the right of first refusal the Broker is still paid their commission. The Developer steps in and becomes the Buyer and has to fulfill the entire contract. Most Developers such a Westgate , Hilton and Disney pay the Broker. Marriott pays the Seller and then expects the Broker to collect from the Seller. Some of the Brokers charge an adminstrative fee to the Buyer which is commonly called a junk fee.

Jay K.
May 27, 2007

stanleyf5 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:

Hi. I am a former real estate agent. In general, real estate terms governing a sale must be in writing and signed by all parties to the transaction to be enforceable. Legally they would have a difficult time collecting the cancelling fee relative to the timeshare bid, since there was no binding contract. It is basically a scare tactic to extract money from the buyer who has suffered "buyer's remorse" or was perhaps not serious to start with. Most states have a recission period relative to a real estate contract, where you can cancel without any penalty and the buyer's money must be returned. Stan.

Stan,

What you have said is correct. The problem is that there are a lot of Sellers on eBay that do not follow the recission law because they don't know or don't care that there is one. There paperwork does not reflect the recission fee. When the bidders bid up the property and don't close the cost to us is usually around $150.00. We try to make them pay for the ad because eBay does not give us a credit if it is a bad bidder. They give us a few dollars and that is it.

Jay K.
May 28, 2007

timesharejudi wrote:
stanleyf5 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:

Stan,

What you have said is correct. The problem is that there are a lot of Sellers on eBay that do not follow the recission law because they don't know or don't care that there is one. There paperwork does not reflect the recission fee. When the bidders bid up the property and don't close the cost to us is usually around $150.00. We try to make them pay for the ad because eBay does not give us a credit if it is a bad bidder. They give us a few dollars and that is it.

This is a flaw in the eBay system, in that the seller must pay over and over again to list a timeshare week, even if someone bid and refused to pay. They should allow a second free listing, but they just don't. Right of rescission is something eBay sellers want to forget, it is purposeful that they insist that there is no right with a resale. One person I know just rescinded a purchase and was chastized by an eBay seller to me. I told him I knew the woman who backed out and she was within her right to do so. The reseller had advertised the maintenance fees much lower than they actually were, quoting fees from two years ago. That is good reason to back out, if you ask me.

Sun or Snow T.
May 28, 2007

cynthia281 wrote:
timesharejudi wrote:
stanleyf5 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:

Stan,

This is a flaw in the eBay system, in that the seller must pay over and over again to list a timeshare week, even if someone bid and refused to pay. They should allow a second free listing, but they just don't. Right of rescission is something eBay sellers want to forget, it is purposeful that they insist that there is no right with a resale. One person I know just rescinded a purchase and was chastized by an eBay seller to me. I told him I knew the woman who backed out and she was within her right to do so. The reseller had advertised the maintenance fees much lower than they actually were, quoting fees from two years ago. That is good reason to back out, if you ask me.

Hi. I have personally tried to buy a resale where the seller misrepresented the maintenance and other fees. This was not on ebay but here on Redweek. I received my deposit back, but I had about $125.00 of out of pocket costs which I incurred. I did complain to Redweek and they made the seller change their ad. Unfortunately, there are a number of unethical people in the world. Stan.

stanleyf5
May 28, 2007

stanleyf5 wrote:
cynthia281 wrote:
timesharejudi wrote:
stanleyf5 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:

Stan,

Hi. I have personally tried to buy a resale where the seller misrepresented the maintenance and other fees. This was not on ebay but here on Redweek. I received my deposit back, but I had about $125.00 of out of pocket costs which I incurred. I did complain to Redweek and they made the seller change their ad. Unfortunately, there are a number of unethical people in the world. Stan.

Do you happen to be the Stan from Fairfield Yahoo Group?

Sun or Snow T.
May 28, 2007

cynthia281 wrote:
stanleyf5 wrote:
cynthia281 wrote:
timesharejudi wrote:
stanleyf5 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:

Stan,

Do you happen to be the Stan from Fairfield Yahoo Group?

No. Stan.

stanleyf5
May 29, 2007

Unfortunately this happens a lot with resales. Many private sellers don't even know WHAT they own as some have never even been to their timeshare (they bought to trade), so they just put whatever comes to mind in their ads.

Resale companies don't know many times what they're selling and can give incorrect info on ads. I have witnessed this many times.

stanleyf5 wrote:

R P.
Jun 01, 2007

Anybody familiar with Waves in Ocean City. I'm considering purchasing 44 wk, 2br 2bth. The asking price is $2,500. Is this too much?

Nancy B.
Jun 02, 2007

jayjay wrote:
Unfortunately this happens a lot with resales. Many private sellers don't even know WHAT they own as some have never even been to their timeshare (they bought to trade), so they just put whatever comes to mind in their ads.

Resale companies don't know many times what they're selling and can give incorrect info on ads. I have witnessed this many times.

stanleyf5 wrote:
That is why you should deal with a Realtor. You wouldn't have been out anything and you could go to the Board of Realtors to complain. They don't put up with timeshare scams. If the Broker isn't a Realtor he can do anything he wants to because the Government agencies don't seem to know what to do because they are overwhelmed by the large amount f scams going on. They have been sued by a couple of the large scam companies and have lost in Court because they don't have their act together when it comes to timeshare and scams.

Jay K.
Jun 02, 2007

timesharejudi wrote:
jayjay wrote:

stanleyf5 wrote:
That is why you should deal with a Realtor. You wouldn't have been out anything and you could go to the Board of Realtors to complain. They don't put up with timeshare scams. If the Broker isn't a Realtor he can do anything he wants to because the Government agencies don't seem to know what to do because they are overwhelmed by the large amount f scams going on. They have been sued by a couple of the large scam companies and have lost in Court because they don't have their act together when it comes to timeshare and scams.

timeshare judi I have tried emailing you to find out info re selling timeshare thru realtor, and have not heard from you. I had asked specifically about Canadian timeshares. How do I forward questions to you??

Meg Y.
Jun 15, 2007

jamesd84 wrote:
Buying timeshares (my experience)

I've recently purchased three deeded timeshare properties and will list total costs (which includes all closing, deed recording and resort transfer fees):

Each through eBay sellers. Each a 2 bedroom lock-off unit. Each an RCI Gold Crown or II 5 Star Resort.

One is an annual, fixed week 13, at V & V Bonaventure in Weston, FL a resort I stayed at as a rental last in 2006 and that I plan on using each year and not exchanging. RCI points resort this unit has not been converted. Total Aquisition Cost $889.

One is an annual, 75000 RCI Points, fixed week 44, at Sunrise Ridge in Pigeon Forge, TN a resort I have not visited and purchased for the RCI Points to be used as my exchanger for various destinations. RCI points resort this unit has been converted. Total Aquisition Cost $2172.

One is a biennial (even), floating week 1-51, at Club de Soleil in Las Vegas, NV a resort I have not visited and that I plan on using and perhaps splitting the lock-off to allow for annual use. Trades with Interval International. Total Aquisition Cost $804.

I vacation 5-6 weeks a year. I like nice accomodations and at a bargain price. These timeshares were acquired to provide high quality accomodations for at least three weeks vacation during peak travel seasons, with two fixed desired destinations and one flexible destination (not that each couldn't be exchanged).

My view is that the only timeshare worth owning is peak season/prime time ownership and that these purchases should only be made on the resale market. Off peak season should not be owned, as the same use can be obtained at a cost below the maintenance fee and there is little to no resale market should you decide to sell once acquired.

Just my experience and opinion.

The VV Bonaventure is not a bad week, but this is the second most available resort in the resort infested state of Florida. You might have done better by trading into it with a low fee week. Vegas is somewhere around the verge of being overbuilt, so it is another place I wouldn't buy at. Find out the earliest date you can request a reservation and grab the highest demand week (9 & 14 are highest) you can if trading it as soon as you can, or get the week you want. The good news is that you didn't spend much on those 2 and they seem to fit into your usage plan. What fits one does not fit all.

Henny P.
Jun 16, 2007

hennyp wrote:
The VV Bonaventure is not a bad week, but this is the second most available resort in the resort infested state of Florida. You might have done better by trading into it with a low fee week. Vegas is somewhere around the verge of being overbuilt, so it is another place I wouldn't buy at. Find out the earliest date you can request a reservation and grab the highest demand week (9 & 14 are highest) you can if trading it as soon as you can, or get the week you want. The good news is that you didn't spend much on those 2 and they seem to fit into your usage plan. What fits one does not fit all.

Certainly one size does not fit all, but the two "weeks" resorts I chose fit me fine. Thanks for the advise on Vegas weeks, I plan to reserve early.

I included the costs so that others who might be new to this market might have some real data points from a buyer who's done his homework.

That prime Week 13 at Bonaventure happened to come with a couple of deposited weeks with RCI, (1 Bd, Occ 4) and (2Bd, Occ 8). I just exchanged the (1Bd, Occ 4) today for Morritt's Grand Resort - Grand Cayman #5930 (1 Bd, Occ 4) 4/5/09-4/12/09, which had an exchange value of 56,500 RCI Points, had I wanted to reserve it from my points account. So it also looks like a good trader, if I choose to go that way.

James D.

Last edited by jamesd84 on Jun 16, 2007 07:37 PM

Jun 16, 2007

In some E-bay and other sites that offer timeshare sales I have found statements hidden in the rest of the information.

These people are trying to charge buyer a fee just incase the deal is canceled because resort uses ROFR.

This is bull that a possible buyer would have to pay a fee so seller still makes money if resort stop the sale because of this ROFR

The seller's know this is a possiblity before they list the unit for sale and has nothing to do with buyer!

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Jul 18, 2007 08:50 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.