Jun 13, 2007

I don't believe Tug is competition for Redweek. (Sorry Brian)... I do believe there are many volunteers on many sites that are in business to make money.

Is Barry Diller not making money on tripadvisor or newly acquired cruise critic... while still using us volunteers? Would I not give any advice or help to Randy C if he asked for it when a company is an infant? (Thats for free...a volunteer). Of course, the top guys know we might have a lot of experience, and can read through some of the possible errors the volunteer might present....but one positive...we can't exactly be fired. And most of the info is understood to be ideas expressed that help formulate a plan that might work.

Does everyone need to get paid to try to help others provide a service and a possible salary to their workers & staff.

How many expert tax CPAs would write articles in a T/S magazine ( I will not mention it, Randy) and then 'waste' their time on a volunteer website (since it already mentioned: tug...) to help others understand how T/Ss might affect the IRS. They care, thats why. They hope the guys at the top might be helped, but more than that, they hope the readers will not make the same errors many others (including themselves) have done.....

I don't have to volunteer at tug, the forums, or tripadvisor. I want to help as much as possible....(problem is, the others seem to know so much more)

And so do Redweek members. Every time they post a review, thats a volunteer effort.

Please keep volunteering....

Kenneth K.
Jun 13, 2007

I have to admit to enjoying a good all out (non-personal) argument on a bb but bad advice has no place in a forum like this. I am very much a 'newbie' when it comes to timesharing and am grateful for all the info I can lay my hands on that increases my knowlege. I have been an avid user of the info here on Redweek since I discovered it and find it fantastic for a whole series of things, especially comparing resale and rental prices as well as resort reviews. However, relying on one site alone for all your info when you're learning so much so quickly is pure folly and as such, jayjay's comment 'No need for them to go elsewhere' is pure unadulterated garbage and is missinformation of the highest kind. As someone who clearly has greater experience of TS than a lot of people around here, myself included, and who has no affiliation with Redweek, you should be helping us newbies to find the best info on the whole range of TS matters irrespective of where it is situated. Yes TUG probably does have its faults, and yes I do get a vast amount of usefull information from right here that I cant get on TUG however the opposite is also true. I'm not sure where your bias is coming from but it's not helping newbies and it isn't helping the relationship between to great sites. So whatever your gripe is...get over it and use your experience to help not cause divisions.

Z S.
Jun 13, 2007

You asked that we identify the moderators...

All RedWeek.com staff are identified on the upper right of each posted message along with their names and the dates they post.

We have one moderator currently that handles all the forums, Marty (Marty8084). She is able to manage a large number of forums because to moderate is primarily a task of eliminating inappropriate posts and providing some additional information as available to answer specific questions mostly about RedWeek.

Marty is quite experienced and does that very well. She once managed over 30,000 forums on Classmates.com with a great deal more traffic than we have so far developed here.

We get a lot of volunteer participation from people like JayJay who have no official status with RedWeek but are great proponents of the forums and timesharing specifically. JayJay is an especially knowledgeable resource and puts a lot of time in here. He gives good advice and is helpful in correcting misconceptions that arise. His enthusiasm for RedWeek and our forums in particular is very helpful. He might get a little defensive on our behalf... but we kinda enjoy that. Who wouldn't appreciate that kind of support?

There are some here that feel the same way about TUG so the emotions rise. It can be healthy... but it's not doing our newbies any good to argue about which business is the BEST.

As far as we're concerned it's RedWeek, of course.

Randy C.

Last edited by randy on Jun 13, 2007 03:51 PM

Jun 13, 2007

Hey all, let's get back to helping each other with information on how to sell your timeshare like the topic says. We like healthy debate but this isn't helping anyone.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Jun 14, 2007

marty8084 wrote:
Hey all, let's get back to helping each other with information on how to sell your timeshare like the topic says. We like healthy debate but this isn't helping anyone.

Thanks, Marty

My professional opinion is that Tug, Redweek, Myresortnetwork, Timesharing Today are all great. Anyone that saves the public from the upfront fee companies that lie to collect money is wonderful.

Jay K.
Jun 16, 2007

TUG is great. Redweek - never saw the forum before the post on TUG. I think Redweek is great for rentals - I've done well with that. Stop bashing each other.

Ellen L.
Jun 20, 2007

normanc18 wrote:
Does anyone have any info or dealings with Timeshare MLS. I listed with them 3 months ago and no news.

Yes I've dealt with them recently (Dec 06). I too listed with them and got absolutely nothing in return.

Debra C.
Jun 28, 2007

WOULD ANYBODY KNOW THE VALUE OF A WHITE WEEK IN SMUGGLER'S NOTCH WORTH WEEK 14

STEVEN S.
Jul 12, 2007

dave1108 wrote:
250.00 charge
Hi thanks for information.What is their web site. Thanks jdykesj@yaho.com

Jeff D.
Jul 16, 2007

I've been reading the messages about not paying up front fees to timeshare resale companies, however its too late for me. Last week I advertised w/ sellmytimesharenow.com. Has anybody worked w/ them before and had any luck? Now I feel stuck and would hate to pay more to post it in anymore websites after just spending $500, but would really like to get this timeshare off my hands and have the least amount of loss possible.

Alba M.
Jul 16, 2007

albam4

Use Craigslist,its free and it is seen by thousands! You can add pictures if you like and have all e-mail go to them so you can decide who to deal with!

You can list your timeshare in your area and other locations like area of your timeshare and other large cities if you want to take the time to write new ads!

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Nov 08, 2007 05:12 PM

Jul 16, 2007

Let's put it this way, you'll be lucky if you ever hear from this company again. Upfront fee resale companies have ZERO incentive to sell your timeshare since they already have your money.

What these companies do is list your timeshare in their computer database at an unrealistically high price (that they tell you they can get for it) that will turn off 99.99% of buyers. Buyers of resales don't pay developer prices, they're looking for a bargain or a reasonable deal. If I was you I would try to get my money back from this company. And let this be a lesson to you to not EVER do business with an upfront fee resale company again.

albam4 wrote:
I've been reading the messages about not paying up front fees to timeshare resale companies, however its too late for me. Last week I advertised w/ sellmytimesharenow.com. Has anybody worked w/ them before and had any luck? Now I feel stuck and would hate to pay more to post it in anymore websites after just spending $500, but would really like to get this timeshare off my hands and have the least amount of loss possible.

R P.
Jul 17, 2007

randy,

I wish, wish, wish I could search the forum posts, since I am trying to find a recent post on a specific topic that asked a question to which I now have an answer.

Thanks.

Carrie S.
Jul 18, 2007

judy1197 wrote:
does anyone know a good closing company that won't charge too much if I sell my timeshare? I am trying to price my timeshare low enough to sell but a low closing price would also help.
The timeshare owners at Casa Ybel has a web site for this purpose: www.casaybel.com where you can sell or rent on your own without commissions to be paid Listings are $35 for a full year and are very succesful. Carl Appelberg

Carl A.
Jul 18, 2007

Can anyone recommend a timeshare reseller who won't cheat you out of your money? I'm trying to unload my timeshare property in Williamsburg, VA.

Guy A.
Jul 18, 2007

guya8 wrote:
Can anyone recommend a timeshare reseller who won't cheat you out of your money? I'm trying to unload my timeshare property in Williamsburg, VA.
Timeshare Resale Williamsburg Charles Davis (757)870-6878

Jay K.
Jul 19, 2007

timesharejudi wrote:
guya8 wrote:

Wow timesharejudi, can you recommend one in Daytona? I am not having any luck renting my timeshare, let alone sell it!

Sam S.
Jul 19, 2007

bettyp32 wrote:
timesharejudi wrote:
guya8 wrote:

Wow timesharejudi, can you recommend one in Daytona? I am not having any luck renting my timeshare, let alone sell it!

We handle Daytona.

Jay K.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jul 19, 2007 03:46 PM

Jul 19, 2007

[I agree I thought the same as I wanted to rent for Feb 18 - 22 in Key West and was told that I had to pay a fee to post it I want to cancel my membership now - it is a rip off

eileen

Eileen P.
Jul 19, 2007

judy1197 wrote:
does anyone know a good closing company that won't charge too much if I sell my timeshare? I am trying to price my timeshare low enough to sell but a low closing price would also help.

I purchased a new timeshare this year from a private party and as a buyer I paid $395, but it looks like they only charged the owner (seller) $90. The company we used was Back Porch Timeshare Closings, in Brandon, FL and their phone number is: 888-535-4333 and website is: www.backporchtimeshareclosings.com Good luck. Karen

Karen W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.