Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

How can I rent a timeshare?

Aug 04, 2007

And davem goes on to say in bold black:

Originally Posted by rickandcindy23 Another problem with Redweek is they do not care about obvious rentals of exchanges.

Isn't that a similar "problem" with many listing sites? As an example, we often see guest certificates mentioned here on TUG's Last Minute Rentals forum. Although helpful TUGgers sometimes add a post to such ads suggesting that the exchange company doesn't allow such rentals, TUG doesn't police or prohibit such ads.

R P.
Aug 04, 2007

jayjay wrote:
And davem goes on to say in bold black:

Originally Posted by rickandcindy23 Another problem with Redweek is they do not care about obvious rentals of exchanges.

Isn't that a similar "problem" with many listing sites? As an example, we often see guest certificates mentioned here on TUG's Last Minute Rentals forum. Although helpful TUGgers sometimes add a post to such ads suggesting that the exchange company doesn't allow such rentals, TUG doesn't police or prohibit such ads.

==========

The original question here had to do with rentals on RedWeek, not RedWeek exchanges. While it is true that a rental site may legally absolve itself of responsability for potential problems, we should recognize that many potential renters know very little about timeshares, RCI, II, etc. The owners may not realize they cannot legally rent an RCI/II exchange; the renters don't have a clue.

It is a major black eye to the site and timeshares in general if someone innocently rents a timeshare only to be kicked out when the resort realizes they are not really "guests". The owner, if he knew no better and gets kicked out of his exchange company, won't be much happier. I think it would be a useful addition to the RedWeek rental board to do as Cynthia suggested above. Have the owner indicate that he recognizes that RCI and II exchanges may NOT be offered for rental and affirms that he DOES have the right to offer what is being advertised. It would be an act of kindness to prevent problems. MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Aug 04, 2007 02:12 PM

Aug 04, 2007

We have Hotels Villas in Vietman we need to do timeshare How can I rent a timeshare?

Atish R.
Aug 05, 2007

atishr wrote:
We have Hotels Villas in Vietman we need to do timeshare How can I rent a timeshare?

There is a page in our Help area that will give you step by step instructions on how to rent a timeshare on RedWeek.com. The direct link is http://www.redweek.com/help/rental_process/buyer.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Aug 10, 2007

cynthia281 observes, quoted in pertinent part:

>> ....it seems Redweek doesn't want to be a watchdog for RCI. <<

=======================================

Nor should they be or have to be, in my opinion.

While renting exchanges is in violation of both RCI and II rules, it's not RedWeek's job to serve as "deputy RCI police". I'd also note that as a participant in numerous other timeshare sites, NONE of them are immune from people trying to rent out exchanges --- and NONE of them assume or accept any such "deputy" responsibility.

RE: >> I think when you post a listing for rent, you should have to check a box that states, "I am the owner of this week, which the renter may verify with the resort." << =======================================

I agree with this much in the interests of full disclosure.

KC
Aug 10, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
cynthia281 observes, quoted in pertinent part:

>> ....it seems Redweek doesn't want to be a watchdog for RCI. <<

=======================================

Nor should they be or have to be, in my opinion.

While renting exchanges is in violation of both RCI and II rules, it's not RedWeek's job to serve as "deputy RCI police". I'd also note that as a participant in numerous other timeshare sites, NONE of them are immune from people trying to rent out exchanges --- and NONE of them assume or accept any such "deputy" responsibility.

RE: >> I think when you post a listing for rent, you should have to check a box that states, "I am the owner of this week, which the renter may verify with the resort." << =======================================

I agree with this much in the interests of full disclosure.

========== The wording would have to be a little different for non-fixed owners. We don't necessarily own the week we are renting out, but we have the right to use (or rent) it under the rules of our resort or resort group. I own at Fairfield/Wyndom Las Vegas, but I can secure and rent out time at a related resort in Florida or elsewhere. MD

Mary D.
Aug 10, 2007

What is the safest way to pay for a timeshare? What are normal terms of the agreement (money down, payment timeline etc...)? How do you verify before you make payment that the property is theirs to rent?

Mark E.
Aug 11, 2007

marke86 wrote:
What is the safest way to pay for a timeshare? What are normal terms of the agreement (money down, payment timeline etc...)? How do you verify before you make payment that the property is theirs to rent?

You need to sign a contract with the people you buy or rent from/ to. There are some excellent contracts on www.tug2.net Just look under the Advice section. This site is extremely helpful because there is a procedure that insures that all goes well in any rental/sale transaction.

Sun or Snow T.
Aug 11, 2007

There's a sample rental agreement here in the Buying, Selling and Renting forum.

R P.
Aug 11, 2007

Or this one:

Timeshare Rental Agreement

Owners Contact Information

Primary Owners Name:_____________________________________________ _______________

Address:__________________________________________ ______________________________

City:_________________ State:____ Country:_________ Zip Code:__________________

Home phone:________________ Cell phone:________________ Alt Phone:______________

E-mail:_____________________________________________ ____________________________

Renters Contact Information

Primary Renters Name:_____________________________________________ ______________ Guests: 1. 2. 3. 4.

Other Guest(s):_________________________________________ ________________________

Address:__________________________________________ ______________________________

City:___________________________ State:____ Country:_________ Zip Code:________

Home phone:________________ Cell phone:________________ Alt Phone_______________

E-mail:_____________________________________________ ____________________________

Resort Information

Name:__________________________________________ Phone:__________________________

City:________________ State:_______________ Country:________ Zip Code:_________

Unit number:________ Check in date:___/___/_____ Check in Time:____:____(am/pm)

Check out date:___/___/______ Check out Time:____:____(am/pm)

No. Bedrooms:____ No. Bathrooms:____ Sleeping Capacity:____(persons)

Int. Deposit: $_____________ Date Paid:____/____/______ Owners Initial:_____

Final Deposit: $____________ Date Paid:____/____/______ Total: $______________

Terms & Conditions

1. The guest(s) may use the Unit during the term without interference subject to the terms of this agreement. If the unit is not habitable on the day that the term starts by reason of flood, fire or storm and a satisfactory substitute is not made available, the owner shall refund the fee forthwith and will thereafter have no further liability to guest(s).

2. The guest(s) agrees to pay the fee set forth in the terms of the above form.

3. Immediately upon receipt of the full payment, the owner will notify the resort manager in writing the guest(s) that will be occupying the unit during the stated term. At the same time, a copy of the letter will be sent to the guest.

4. The inbound guests are bound by all of the resorts rules and regulations.

5. Inbound guest(s) are totally responsible for any and all damages that may occur to the unit and/or resort facilities. The Guest will pay for all repairs, replacements and damages caused by the act or neglect of the guest, the guest’s household members or guests. If requested at time of registration, Guest will sign a credit card charge slip to secure payment for any such repairs, replacements or damages.

6. The Guest will pay for telephone calls from the Unit (if available), any housekeeping services for which there is an additional charge, and any other extra charges imposed by the resort for services or for the use of its facilities.

7. No one under the age of 21 will be permitted to occupy the unit unless accompanied by persons 21 or older.

8. The Owner is not responsible for any inconvenience or interruption of services due to repairs, improvements or any other reasons beyond the Owner's control.

9. This agreement may not be assigned by either party, without the other parties’ prior written consent. The parties have signed their names below as to evidence their agreement to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

Renter’s Signature:_______________________________________ Date:____/____/______

Owner’s Signature:________________________________________ Date:____/____/______

R P.
Aug 11, 2007

Nice contract JJ. Especially like the term "Inbound Guests" and getting the names of all coming. The ages might not be a bad addition. MD

Mary D.
Aug 16, 2007

I am about to list our week for rent for the first time. I am wondering about this new "timeshare escrow" vs. a private transaction for securing the rental agreement. Would appreciate any info others may have regarding experience in completing the transaction. Is Pay Pal the best way to go? I have read through all the discussions on this thread and it looks like Phil was not happy w/Pay Pal... Thanks for any help! We are owners at the Maui Ocean Club and want to get our week up and posted asap...we are new at this and grateful for all the other info...just need some help with best way to secure payment aloha, mccabin

Candice and John M.
Aug 17, 2007

mccabin wrote:
I am about to list our week for rent for the first time. I am wondering about this new "timeshare escrow" vs. a private transaction for securing the rental agreement. Would appreciate any info others may have regarding experience in completing the transaction. Is Pay Pal the best way to go? I have read through all the discussions on this thread and it looks like Phil was not happy w/Pay Pal... Thanks for any help! We are owners at the Maui Ocean Club and want to get our week up and posted asap...we are new at this and grateful for all the other info...just need some help with best way to secure payment aloha, mccabin

Thousands of people use Pay-Pal and like it! I would not use it again because it didn't work the time I signed on to buy something for my daughter!

I have a major problem with the fact once in their system I can not get out(Pay-Pal's words).

I was a member for 24 hours (2002) and since have been on scam list and also Pay-pal list. I called them about five times since 2002 and they check and say my acct is closed and never used and yes they have peoblems. Also state they have no system to remove closed accts! I still get e-mails from Pay-Pal about my acct every week and it will not end until I get new e-mail address!

Other issue is yes using Pay-Pal gets the owner their money quickly but does very little for the renter.

If you have problems you will find like most of these companies that state they have your back disappear when problems start! You will be dealing with your credit card company to try and get your money back!

If you rent with enough time use escrow but of coarse that will cost you about $50.00 and renter $50.00 so this has to be a main issue when renting! If renter wants to spend the money then this is best and safest way!

You should have a contract signed with payment in full before having unit issued to other party!

I would take reg check that has their address and bank or credit union that you could check very fast! Also do not turn unit over unit check has cleared your bank and only take check for amount of your rent!

Anyone offering to pay more with you making refund to them for extra amount should be hungup on! SCAM!

Phil L.
Sep 10, 2007

With the wealth of knowledge and experience out there, can you share what you see are best fair practices that best protect both the renter and the owner.

I'm more interested from the renter's perspective right now, but maybe one day I'll be renting out the T/S that I own and be interested in the owner's perspective.

Thanks

Richard L.
Sep 10, 2007

richardl273 wrote:
With the wealth of knowledge and experience out there, can you share what you see are best fair practices that best protect both the renter and the owner.

I'm more interested from the renter's perspective right now, but maybe one day I'll be renting out the T/S that I own and be interested in the owner's perspective.

Thanks

Perhaps the thread below will help you:

http://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=12943

R P.
Sep 11, 2007

jayjay wrote:
richardl273 wrote:

Thanks

Perhaps the thread below will help you:

http://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=12943

I have used the Timesharing Today Magazine "Document Kits" for years. It contains three complete sets of fill-in-the-blanks lease forms, with worksheets, detailed instructions, and model letters to send to the renter, and notifying the resort. These forms were prepared by the owner of the magazine, who is a practising attorney in New Jersey.

When you arrive at the home page at www.tstoday.com look in the left hand column and you will see "Document Kits" (bright green box). Click on the link to the rental kit there, or go directly to: https://tstoday.com/shop/docKits.aspxand

The cost, if delivered by regular mail, is $10. for 3 kits. The price is even lower if you choose to download it instantly.

(Timesharing Today also sells a "Resale Kit" for $35.00 Use the same link: https://tstoday.com/shop/docKits.aspx)

While you are at the website, you can order a free trial issue of their magazine, which is published 6 times a year. They have great articles that you will not find anywhere else. Their logo is: The Trusted Independent Voice of Vacation Ownership since 1991."

Better yet, consider ordering a one year subscription, which comes with a 100% satisfaction refund guarantee. If you become a subscriber, you will receive a user name and password (which changes every 2 months) that will give you on-line access to all of the articles they have published over 10 plus years.

I have no financial or other connection to this company. I have just been a happy subscriber for 12 years.

Marie M.
Sep 13, 2007

What is the web address of First American Title or any other legitimate 3rd party company that I can use to complete a rental agreement with someone want to rent from me?

Stephen T.
Sep 13, 2007

stephent33 wrote:
What is the web address of First American Title or any other legitimate 3rd party company that I can use to complete a rental agreement with someone want to rent from me?

The web address for First American Title is https://vacationfirst.firstam.com and more information can be found on RedWeek.com at http://www.redweek.com/help/rental_process/escrow/.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Sep 16, 2007

I have never rented my time share before and was interested in doing so. However, after reading some of these forums, I am a little concerned that this may not be the thing to do. It seems like it may be wrong, a little illegal in fact! Like I may be committing a crime with RCI or something! PLEASE HELP!

Adrian M.
Sep 16, 2007

adrianm20 wrote:
I have never rented my time share before and was interested in doing so. However, after reading some of these forums, I am a little concerned that this may not be the thing to do. It seems like it may be wrong, a little illegal in fact! Like I may be committing a crime with RCI or something! PLEASE HELP!

If you actually own a timeshare, you can use it yourself, or authorize guests to use it (e.g. friends, relatives, co-workers etc...). You also have the absolute right to rent it to anyone you wish, even a total stranger, so long as you have paid all the taxes, maintenance fees, and Special Assessments (if any) for which you are responsible, and so long as you have not deposited your week with RCI (the week you would like to rent, that is).

If you are a member of RCI, Interval International, or some other exchange company, you have the ability to deposit ("space bank") your week and request an exchange to another timeshare. This is totally optional. You have no obligation to avail yourself of this service.

BUT if you obtain a unit through EXCHANGE, the rules set by the exchange company prohibit you from renting out the exchanged week. You may allow a friend or relative to use it instead of yourself, but you must pay an extra fee (currently $59. with RCI) to obtain a "guest certificate" in the name of the person(s) who will be checking in. The exchange company rules also specify that you may not charge the guest more than the exchange fee you paid plus the cost of the guest certificate.

So long as you obey these rules, there is absolutely nothing illegal or unethical about it.

You may have become confused by various debates by owners who do not feel that an exchange company should have the right to prohibit them from renting out an exchanged week for whatever price they can get. But rules are rules.

It is well known that an owner could make a private deal with a trusted friend or relative that violates the above noted official policy. And there's probably no way the exchange company would find out about it so long as neither party disclosed it.

But to attempt to rent an EXCHANGED week to a stranger, especially through an ad placed on a public web site such as Redweek, would be fool-hardy. If RCI or a resort sees the ad and investigates, RCI will cancel the exchange, and can also suspend or cancel the RCI membership of the member who placed the ad. Or if the renter shows up to check in at the resort with an RCI guest certificate and mentions that he/she has rented the week from a private party, the resort can refuse to allow the guest to check in. The renter could then be sued for the cost of whatever alternate lodging the "guest" obtains. This has happened.

Please read all of the above information carefully. Do not have any qualms about renting a week you actually own, whether it is a fixed deeded week, or a floating week you have reserved through your resort. We own 15 weeks at different resorts and we have rented many of them through the years without any problems whatsoever. You have the absolute right to rent what you OWN. Whether you are an RCI member has nothing to do with what you do with the week(s) you own. It's only when you obtain a week though an EXCHANGE that RCI has any say in what you do with the week.

Good luck!

Marie M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.